2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Well first he minimized being a Longhorn but now wants the benefit of being one without having done anything on the field. This is where things might get tough. At our company, I receive a social media report on any prospect I interview to hire and we ask specifics to understand who might not fit with our culture. By culture we mean no BS, we want folks who want to work and make money. The primary reason an athlete has an advantage is because they've proven to compete and not allowed adversity to derail the mission. 

• Fuck You 7

36 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Well first he minimized being a Longhorn but now wants the benefit of being one without having done anything on the field. This is where things might get tough. At our company, I receive a social media report on any prospect I interview to hire and we ask specifics to understand who might not fit with our culture. By culture we mean no BS, we want folks who want to work and make money. The primary reason an athlete has an advantage is because they've proven to compete and not allowed adversity to derail the mission. 

333.gif

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I mean.... that Tweet is just a true statement?

44 minutes ago, Goodman said:

So you think athletes aren’t a fit at UT if they have a stronger allegiance to being black than being a UT football player? If you had your way, I’m sure we’d have n 0-12 team full of white kids who just really understand what it means to be at Texas. 

Why don’t you hop over to aggy so you can root for all the good ole boys who just want to be at Texas A&M?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

So you think athletes aren’t a fit at UT if they have a stronger allegiance to being black than being a UT football player? If you had your way, I’m sure we’d have n 0-12 team full of white kids who just really understand what it means to be at Texas. 

Why don’t you hop over to aggy so you can root for all the good ole boys who just want to be at Texas A&M?

Seeing that I have 2 out of 4 managers who are black/mixed race, I think I am ok with hiring the most qualified. It's ok to be proud of what you have accomplished while learning from history to better your life as you move fwd. Sounds like that is too much for you to deal with. Oh and you will not believe this, i'm not anglo. I've lived in multiple countries and seen first hand why America is the best country on earth.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Probably should have that power since chronology is apparently not your thing..

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Seeing that I have 2 out of 4 managers who are black/mixed race, I think I am ok with hiring the most qualified. It's ok to be proud of what you have accomplished while learning from history to better your life as you move fwd. Sounds like that is too much for you to deal with. Oh and you will not believe this, i'm not anglo. I've lived in multiple countries and seen first hand why America is the best country on earth.

I never said you were racist, But you got defensive real quick about that. lol and you also completely failed to respond to what I actually said. 

He’s right about being black first and a UT football player after that, and he’s right that he should be able to be paid endorsements if there is a market for it without giving up his eligibility. You’re the one who claimed there were culture issues because of what he said. 

• Like 3

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I never said you were racist, But you got defensive real quick about that. lol and you also completely failed to respond to what I actually said. 

He’s right about being black first and a UT football player after that, and he’s right that he should be able to be paid endorsements if there is a market for it without giving up his eligibility. You’re the one who claimed there were culture issues because of what he said. 

My point is that young men/women do not understand that everything said, especially on social media could minimize opportunities. Opportunities most young(for the mob, I mean all races) men/women believe is a right and not earned. The "lol" was cute.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

My point is that young men/women do not understand that everything said, especially on social media could minimize opportunities. Opportunities most young(for the mob, I mean all races) men/women believe is a right and not earned. The "lol" was cute.

The issue I take with your initial post is there is nothing wrong with either tweet by Jwhit;  but you eluded to the fact that those two tweets might hurt him when he's looking for employment...

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The issue I take with your initial post is there is nothing wrong with either tweet by Jwhit;  but you eluded to the fact that those two tweets might hurt him when he's looking for employment...

It very well could. Not saying he would not be hired but most in a rank and file organization would take it into consideration when evaluating a pool of candidates. Perhaps it would benefit him in other organizations.

28 minutes ago, Goodman said:

That’s not at all what you said in the first post, and even still, you’re assuming he hasnt’t thought of that and decided tweeting about his race and right to earn endorsements is worth potential blow back from a shitty hiring manager who would hold either of those tweets against him.

You insinuated in your OP that by his two tweets he’s somehow not willing to work or push through adversity and that he wants the benefit of being a longhorn without having done anything, even though that’s not close to what he said. 

And as for your whole opportunity, not a right nonsense. The legal ability to be able to be paid endorsements without forfeiting eligibility absolutely should be a right. He never said anything about how he personally is currently entitled to or has earned endorsements He said let’s do it in response to a tweet about legalizing his rights to receive endorsements should he earn them.  You act as if he’s so entitled for wanting the legal right to be able to earn endorsements and you read in a bunch of bullshit he never said. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s not at all what you said in the first post, and even still, you’re assuming he hasnt’t thought of that and decided tweeting about his race and right to earn endorsements is worth potential blow back from a shitty hiring manager who would hold either of those tweets against him.

You insinuated in your OP that by his two tweets he’s somehow not willing to work or push through adversity and that he wants the benefit of being a longhorn without having done anything, even though that’s not close to what he said. 

And as for your whole opportunity, not a right nonsense. The legal ability to be able to be paid endorsements without forfeiting eligibility absolutely should be a right. He never said anything about how he personally is currently entitled to or has earned endorsements He said let’s do it in response to a tweet about legalizing his rights to receive endorsements should he earn them.  You act as if he’s so entitled for wanting the legal right to be able to earn endorsements and you read in a bunch of bullshit he never said. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3464391

(Ian Boyd) 2009 Texas vs 2020 Texas: Tale of the tape

@EvanPotter7 noted in the Humidor thread...

EvanPotter7 said:
    Not a single team since 2009 that I’d compare to 2009 prior to maybe now.

Which is a fun question. Obviously 2009 was the last great Texas team and they went undefeated in Big 12 play despite a few scary battles with Oklahoma in the RRS and then Nebraska in the B12 title game. Here's what the tale of the tape says and whether or not 2020 Texas really has a shot in the heavyweight class.

The 2009 Texas offense

image.png

- This has tended to be an underrated unit, historically because they struggled the three biggest games of the season. Oklahoma and Nebraska gave them fits with dime packages that took the Longhorns a while to solve. Alabama tried the same approach but Texas had some answers, but obviously they lost Colt.

- Their strongest feature was the quick passing game. They had great cohesiveness in pass protection as a consequence of fielding three redshirt seniors, Colt to Shipley was literally unbeatable, and they weren't as strong as in 2008 when they had the Quan but there were a lot of capable receivers on the roster. Marquise Goodwin and John Chiles also made some plays. Greg Smith was a solid tight end who's remembered poorly because most of his actions involved catching check downs on 3rd downs and getting quickly tackled. He was a good run blocker that would have helped the 2017 and 2019 Texas offenses considerably.

- There was talent on the roster but most of their best features were more the result of veteran experience than sheer athletic talent. Colt, Shipley, and the left side of the O-line had only former blue chip to boast of but they dominated games. Some of the more talented players on the offense per the recruiting rankings never really put it together. Marquise Goodwin was also a 3-star.

- The run game wasn't that great but it wasn't terrible, it just wasn't as big of an emphasis. They could pound the ball in on short-yardage or goal line situations with Cody Johnson and the jumbo package. They actually landed some gloves on Oklahoma and Alabama with the run game, Nebraska destroyed it though and the speed option play against Alabama and Marcell Dareus was the team's undoing.

The 2020 Texas offense

image.png

- We don't yet know the full story here but the assumption is that this team will probably run the ball pretty effectively and Brennan Eagles will lead the team in yards while Jake Smith, Tarik Black, Marcus Washington, and Jordan Whittington take turns torching teams for how they play Eagles and the run game.

- The offensive line has a similar mix of veterans and talented risers as the 2009 group but the overall talent level is actually higher. Ulatoski wasn't a day one draft pick and Tanner and Hall were really similar players to Derek Kerstetter. Very solid, technically skilled guys that could play in lots of spots but didn't have NFL athleticism.

Verdict

There's a solid chance that this offense can surpass the 2009 unit so long as they have some go-to players and designs that they can hang their hats on. That's been a strength of the last two Tom Herman offenses so the prognosis is pretty good here. Yurcich will be relied on to find ways to make the most of a deep stable of athletic skill players, between him and Ehlinger I think that will actually prove relatively straightforward. Texas' run game is also a virtual lock to be a strong component to the team, they just have too much experience and skill not to be very solid there. The real question is whether Eagles can be a 1-on-1 destroyer. Ehlinger to Eagles doesn't need to be Colt-to-Shipley but if it can get anywhere close than the rest of the ensemble will surpass 2009.

The 2009 defense

image.png

- The 2009 Texas defense was pretty multiple, I tend to think the 2020 Texas defense will more closely resemble the initial 2008 Muschamp defense in scheme. Their best set-up was playing 4-man, a brand of quarters similar to what Chris Ash is expected to bring to Texas. Earl Thomas could cover absurd amounts of space and allow the linebackers to trend towards the line of scrimmage, he could also drop down and play coverage on a slot. Everyone knows him now for his exceptional play as a centerfielder for the "Legion of Boom" Seahawks but at Texas he was more commonly used like Brandon Jones. It's a tough call between this unit and the 2005 secondary for greatest in Longhorn history, the Champions barely get the nod.

- Houston, Kindle, and Acho was a much, much fiercer pass-rush than expected and would be very hard to match. Houston had seven sacks, Acho had nine, and Kindle had six. Kindle's low numbers belied the fact that he wrecked the edge all year and teams' attempts to account for him unquestionably aided Acho and Houston, just as Kindle had reached 10 sacks the year before in part due to teams being terrified of Brian Orakpo.

- Roddrick Muckelroy was a phenomenal college linebacker and Keenan Robinson was a plus athlete at the position. Everyone's favorite former Longhorn Manny Acho also played a lot in relief for either although he wasn't yet what he'd become in 2010 and 2011.

The 2020 defense

image.png

- There's a lot of unknowns here, lots of guys whom you can paint as being phenomenal athletes ready to blossom now that they have a chance to play in a simpler, execution-based scheme. We haven't really seen it for any of them save for Sterns, Brown, Ossai, and Coburn. Everyone else is a projection who's shown flashes.

- Things hinge pretty heavily on major improvements at linebacker for Juwan Mitchell in year two at Texas and then DeMarvion Overshown in year one at that position. The D-line is almost certain to be quite good but the extent to which they can capitalize is less obvious. That said, this unit is a lot better and deeper at defensive tackle than 2009 yet they don't have the same abundance of quality edge-rushers. There's no Sam Acho here to clean up unless we see a leap from Marqez Image allowed to play outside. It's possible but unlikely that he'll be THAT good. Joe Ossai matching the play of Sergio Kindle isn't the kind of thing you should project lightly yet I think it's entirely possible.

- Chris Brown and Blake Gideon are really quite similar players.

Verdict

Before Texas got the 2009 defense, they got the 2008 unit. Muschamp changed the scheme to a nickel, emphasized tighter quarters-based match coverage, emphasized the four-man pass rush, and looked to get more athletes involved at every level of the unit. They spent most of the season in a 4-man set-up and everyone learned that this Earl Thomas kid was one of the best defensive backs the University had ever seen.

The 2019 Texas defense didn't get a year learning to play base defense at a high level like Muschamp's unit did and the offseason hasn't done them any favors in closing the gap. Overall even with favorable projections I think it will be a tall order to match the 4-man pass rush of 2009, to match the really fundamentally sound play at linebacker from Muckelroy, to play coverage at nickel and corner like the Browns and A-Will, and as solid as Caden Sterns has been at Texas he's no Earl Thomas.

Maybe if Tom Herman had made some adjustments heading into 2019 rather than watching the program fall apart this comparison might have been feasible. But this team could potentially match 2008 if the offense really clicks and some of the premium athletes on defense put things together and start to click like the 08 Muschamp defense did.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

So Coby was benched bc of a grill? That doesn't make any sense. Big Herm himself has or had a grill Paul Wall made him when he was at UH. I'm calling bullshit on this one. 

Lolllll he got benched at Texas for cold clocking Derek Kerstetter, that was pretty well-known. 

Joe Cook: A look at UT’s postseason award history and future

There are 32 picks in the first round of the NFL Draft, but there’s only one Heisman Trophy, one Doak Walker Award, etc. to honor the best players in college football. In Texas’ storied history (and even during not-so-storied times), players in the Longhorn football program have earned several postseason awards. The last time a Longhorn took home a postseason superlative was 2017 when Michael Dickson received the program’s first ever Ray Guy Award, given annually to the nation’s top punter.

Should Texas return and consistently stay at a top ten level, it could see more and more players named as finalists for postseason honors. If the 2020 season is the beginning of that return, here are some Longhorns who could potentially hear their names called at the College Football Awards Show.

Heisman Trophy
Last won: 1998 – Ricky Williams

Texas has two Heisman Trophy winners in its history, though there are strong arguments it should have three or even four. If the vacated 2005 trophy is included, 16 of the 19 Heisman winners this century were quarterbacks. Texas has a pretty good one in Sam Ehlinger for 2020. He’s no guarantee to get to New York, but Las Vegas thinks he has a decent shot of getting there. Bovada lists Ehlinger as +1400 to win the 2020 Heisman, sixth behind Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence, Ohio State’s Justin Fields, Oklahoma State’s Chuba Hubbad, Miami’s D’Eriq King, and Florida’s Kyle Trask.

Maxwell Award
Last won: 2009 – Colt McCoy

The Heisman is the iconic postseason award for outstanding play, but other player of the year awards do exist with the Maxwell being one of them. Though players, like LSU’s Joe Burrow, often sweep the three main player of the year awards, it doesn’t always occur. In 2009, Maxwell voters picked Colt McCoy over Mark Ingram and Tim Tebow. As a candidate for the premier player of the year award, Ehlinger is also a candidate for this lesser-known but still prestigious honor.

Walter Camp Award
Last won: 2009 – Colt McCoy

Anything written above regarding the Maxwell can similarly be applied to the Walter Camp Award, with Ehlinger once again being the prime candidate from Texas.

Doak Walker Award
Last won: 2016 – D’Onta Foreman

Foreman’s 2,000-yard 2016 season was a bright spot of the end of the Charlie Strong era, becoming the third Longhorn to be named the nation’s top running back. A bona fide workhorse, Foreman became the second Longhorn to ever eclipse 2000 yards, joining Ricky Williams. It is highly unlikely that one of Texas main three running backs – Keaontay Ingram, Roschon Johnson, or Bijan Robinson – will average 30 carries a game like Foreman in the upcoming season. Additional emphasis on downfield passing could also eat into the carry total, making it difficult for one of Texas’ backs to stand out above the rest in the running backs room let alone the rest of the country.

Davey O’Brien Award
Last won: Colt McCoy – 2009

The O’Brien Award is issued annually to the nation’s top quarterback, but that wasn’t always the case. The award originally went to the top player in the Southwest with the inaugural winner being Earl Campbell. Vince Young’s 2005 and Colt McCoy’s 2009 boosted them into Campbell’s company. Like the player of the year awards, Ehlinger is the leading candidate from Texas to win the O’Brien. He’ll face stiff competition from Lawrence and Fields, plus other competition always seems to arise during the season.

Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award
Last won: Colt McCoy – 2009

While the deck may be stacked against Ehlinger in his battle with juniors Lawrence and Fields, he might have the inside track on the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, given to the nation’s best senior or fourth-year quarterback in college football. His competition includes King and Trask.

Fred Biletnikoff Award
Last won: N/A

For a program that has seen the likes of Roy Williams and Jordan Shipley, it has still never produced the nation’s top receiver. With a new group of receivers replacing Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay, it remains to be seen who Texas’ No. 1 option is going to be in 2020.

John Mackey Award

There have been several professional tight ends to play their college ball at Texas, including Bo Scaife, Geoff Swaim, and Andrew Beck. However, no Longhorn has won the Mackey Award honoring the nation’s top tight end. Cade Brewer is a near shoo-in to be Texas’ starting tight end, but the position plays a variety of roles in the UT offense including traditional tight end, wide receiver, and fullback. Unless Mike Yurcich’s offense heavily focuses on the tight end, and Brewer is able to raise his ceiling well above where it currently seems to be, the Longhorns might see another season go by without a Mackey winner.

John Outland Trophy
Last won: Brad Shearer – 1977

Where the previous awards all honored skill players, the Outland Trophy honors those who are in the trenches. Texas last took home the honor in 1977 thanks to defensive lineman Brad Shearer. Two Longhorns instrumental in UT’s dynastic run in the 1960s, Scott Appleton and Tommy Nobis, also won Outlands. Texas has players on both sides of the ball who have an opportunity to be one of the nation’s best big ugly, notably offensive tackle Samuel Cosmi. If his development continues to ascend as it has since he arrived at Texas in 2017, he could see himself as a finalist for the Outland. Competition is stiff as last year’s winner, Oregon’s Penei Sewell, returns for the Ducks.

Vince Lombardi Award
Last won: Brian Orakpo – 2008

The Lombardi award previously honored the best college down lineman on either side of the ball or linebacker no further than five yards deep from the ball. That changed with the 2017 award when the criteria was altered to best college football player. Under the previous criteria, Cosmi or Joseph Ossai would be prime candidates for the award won three times by Longhorns (Kenneth Sims, Tony Degrate, Brian Orakpo). With the new criteria, Ehlinger is Texas’ best shot at bringing a block of granite to Austin.

Rimington Trophy

Dave Rimington was such a good center for the Nebraska Cornhuskers, not only did he win the Outland Trophy twice, but the award to honor the nation’s best center was named after him. With a battle at center likely before the upcoming season, Texas would need a major surprise to produce a Rimington winner in 2020.

Chuck Bednarik Award

The Bednarik Award is given annually to the defensive player of the year, one of several awards to do so. Where other awards could go to defensive players, they rarely do unless they are generational game-changers. The Bednarik requires its recipient to be a defensive player. Texas will rely on experience and hope for better health on the defensive side of the ball in 2020. Ossai should see production playing a position suited for his skill set, and could become a well-known national name. In addition, Caden Sterns has played well enough to warrant way-too-far-away-from-the-season mention as a candidate.

Bronko Nagurski Trophy
Last won: Brian Orakpo – 2008

The Nagurski is similar to the Bednarik, only awarded by a different entity. Ossai and Sterns appear to be Texas’ best candidates in mid-June.

Dick Butkus Award
Last won: Derrick Johnson – 2004

The Butkus Award goes to the best linebacker in college football. Derrick Johnson could be the best linebacker in Texas history, so his standing as a previous winner comes as no shock. Texas has an extremely unproven linebacker corps, with DeMarvion Overshown moving to the position this offseason, and Juwan Mitchell remaining at Texas despite flirtations with the Transfer Portal. Technically, Ossai is a linebacker and the award has gone to edge rushers in the past. It’s another name he could find himself on watchlists for later this summer.

Jim Thorpe Award
Last won: Aaron Ross – 2006

Texas established itself as one of the leading candidates to be Defensive Back University when Michael Huff and Aaron Ross won back-to-back Thorpes. The run of high level defensive back play didn’t end in the mid-2000s, as Earl Thomas was named a finalist in 2009. Even amid a terrible stretch of years, Texas produced a Thorpe finalist in DeShon Elliott in 2017. As a DBU claimant, Texas attracts talented defensive backs. With the members of the elite 2018 defensive back class becoming upperclassmen, an argument could be made for any player who holds onto a starting spot in the secondary this fall. Sterns, already a familiar name, seems the prime choice.

Lou Groza Award

The Groza is annually given to the nation’s best placekicker. Texas might have the best placekicker in college football history with Russell Erxleben, but his 1975-78 career was well before the 1992 establishment of the Groza. A huge help in the quest for the Groza is a head start, and Cameron Dicker has just that with not only his catchy name, but also due to his 2018 game-winning kick over Oklahoma (with an assist from FOX’s Gus Johnson). However, Dicker will need to increase his accuracy. Last year’s winner made 82 percent of his field goals. Dicker was at 78 percent.

Ray Guy Award
Last won: 2017 – Michael Dickson

The most recent postseason award won by a Longhorn. Dickson’s magical 2017 season ended with him declaring early for the NFL Draft and winning Texas Bowl MVP honors. While Erxleben might be the best specialist in UT history, Dickson may have the edge on being the best punter. The Texas candidate is Ryan Bujcevski, better known to Tom Herman as “the punter.” Bujcevski turned in a solid 2019 that was derailed by an injury suffered on a 3-yard run versus TCU. Like any candidate, he’ll need a full season of punting that approaches the performance of his cousin Dickson in 2017.

Ted Hendricks Award
Last won: 2013 – Jackson Jeffcoat

Strictly for defensive ends, Texas has two Hendricks Award winners in its history with Brian Orakpo and Jackson Jeffcoat. Ossai again seems the likely candidate. This is an award where flashy plays and substantial production are huge benefits. If Ossai is able to wreak havoc on opposing backfield from the jack LB position, he could see himself as a finalist.

Chip Brown: Is Texas football uniquely equipped to handle angst-ridden 2020?

Welcome to college football in 2020, a year that so far has promised absolutely nothing (from the number of games to the number of fans) - except angst. Athletic directors seeing all their campus sports flashing before their eyes are drawing up one football plan after another on Etch-a-Sketches only to shake and start over. The greatest creatures of habit on the planet - football coaches - are chugging Tums because they’ve had no control - over anything … except for Zoom links. Heck, they haven’t seen their players in person for three months.

And the players, the majority of whom are black, are returning to campus amid social unrest following the death of George Floyd. On top of the hugely uncomfortable, deep-exploration, COVID-19 nasal swab tests being endured by players are the soul-searching conversations between teammates and coaches that could lead to a re-evaluation of previous relationships - for better or worse.

“It starts with self-reflecting and checking yourself by asking, ‘Do I have any hate in my heart?’” said Texas junior safety Caden Sterns, who added he feels a special responsibility to speak out because he’s bi-racial (half black, half white). “And if you do, then get it out of there. Have conversations. Be open-minded and open your heart, because nothing is gonna be done if there’s no unity and understanding one another.”

Sterns and Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger joined coach Tom Herman on a Zoom press conference with reporters on Thursday. Ehlinger said Texas players and coaches, along with members of the Austin Police Department, took a knee for nine minutes before marching from campus to the state Capitol last Thursday. “It was very powerful,” Ehlinger said. “I suggest anyone who hasn’t been able to participate in a protest or walk take a knee for nine minutes because that’s how long George Floyd was on the ground with a knee on his neck. And I would say the message for moving forward is leading with love. If you have love in your heart, there is no difference between skin color or race.”

It’s unclear if two Texas players who tested positive for COVID-19 this week might have contracted the virus during the march. Herman doesn’t think so. But incubation of the virus typically occurs between two to 14 days after contact with COVID-19. On Monday and Tuesday of next week, roughly 66 more players (including UT’s incoming freshmen), will be tested.

“There is no manual because nobody’s ever done this before,” said Herman, who had one player test positive for COVID-19 antibodies (meaning they’d already recovered from the virus). Herman said things have been so upside down because of the pandemic, he walked into an offensive staff meeting the other day after “six to eight hours” of Zoom planning for the players’ return that he didn’t even recognize the play diagramming on a grease board by new offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich.

“He (Yurcich) looked at me kind of funny and said, ‘Coach, that’s football,’” Herman laughed. “I said, ‘Oh yeah, okay, football. Yeah. Got it.’ As the head coach, I’d been immersed in all these (COVID-19) mitigation planning meetings, and then you throw in the events in our society that have happened the last couple weeks, and this is where you applaud our assistant coaches for making sure our players are ready to win a bunch of football games in the fall.”

Herman, who has seven new assistant coaches, including both coordinators, said Texas hasn’t been using the full eight-hours-per-week of NCAA-allotted meeting time with players. Yet he added, “We have met more this offseason - from February until June - than any other year in the past. Maybe more than twice as much.” Herman said coaches have already gotten into sub-packages, such as third-down, short-yardage and goal-line - “stuff you probably wouldn’t get to until training camp.

“So I’m really not concerned about the mental aspect of assignments and learning the offense and defense. But, obviously, there’s no substitute for full speed, 11-on-11, physical reps. So we’re going to have to catch up on that as best we can.”

Ehlinger said having 16 returning starters with a lot of veteran leadership gives him confidence the Longhorns will come together during this tumultuous time and be ready for a season everyone hopes will happen. “It’s one thing to preach a family unit,” Ehlinger said. “But when things get tough, how does that family respond? I think everybody on the team is coming together, hearing each other out and having great conversations. I would say the player-led aspect of things is increasing daily. So, I’m really excited for the amount of leaders we have who are taking ownership in the program.”

3 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Why would Jake Smith be so unhappy?

Maybe he came here to play in front of 100K and compete for National titles. Add in covid and now being young and feeling out of place as a non texan. Seeing Herm actually seem to know what he is doing, makes playing at home attractive. Being close to family, friends and support system. He could also just want to play football without the pressure of the current cause we are now leading.

Bunch of reasons if it were him, which we do not know.

Maybe that guy is super dialed in and has stone cold evidence someone is about to transfer (and I don't know that board or its posters; maybe that guy's history is better known by others). But announcing that you have inside info that someone with almost no identifiers is thinking about transferring is message board clout farming 101.

Somebody transfers and you say "See. I called it"; or nobody transfers and you say the player changed their mind.

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 3:13 PM, texifornia said:

That feels like one where you can note somewhere (maybe in the black history part of the hall of fame, or in that freshman module they note) that it has a minstrelry origin, but the song itself has no actual racial content.

My first thought was, "You know, 'Yankee Doodle' was written as an insult to colonists.'" Changing the lyrics: does it change a song? My vote is yes, but I absolutely agree with those who think that it's a debate worth having. I would vote not to change the song, but it's silly to get offended by it being suggested.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-WR-Jordan-Whittington-running-cutting-without-pain-Tom-Herman-148154897/

Here's some good news...

Texas WR Jordan Whittington 'running and cutting without pain'

ByJEFF HOWE 13 hours ago

The health of Jordan Whittington didn’t singularly keep the Texas offense back from being more diverse and dynamic in 2019, but it would’ve been nice if Sam Ehlinger had the former 247Sports Composite five-star prospect at his disposal.

The good news on that front ahead of the 2020 season is Whittington’s complications related to a sports hernia issue are in a much better place than at any point in the fall. Head coach Tom Herman said Thursday on a video conference with reporters that Whittington "is full speed running and cutting without pain," which builds on the positive report he had on the Cuero product's progress in April during Horns247's Texas Tailgate virtual chat.

“If we were to play a game tomorrow, he would play,” Herman said. “He's still got a little soreness, some scar tissue down there. I mean, two different surgeries in your pelvic region is not ideal, but he's, he's on the mend and was full speed, full clearance on the winter conditioning drills.

“We're excited to see him back and healthy.”

A healthy Whittington (two receptions for 17 yards in one game played last season) could provide the offense and first-year coordinator Mike Yurcich with a game-changing presence capable of giving that side of the ball and degree of unpredictability it lacked last season. What Herman has in mind is using Whittington’s knowledge of the running back position from spending a year in that room before making the transition to H receiver, the position he was recruited to play.

The redshirt freshman will work in the slot along with sophomore Jake Smith (25 catches, 274 yards and six touchdowns as a true freshman) to give the Longhorns a productive and potentially explosive personnel package outside of their base 11 personnel (one running back, one tight end) grouping.

“I think the cross-training really allows you to maybe be in some 10 personnel (one running back, four receivers) if you consider him (Whittington) a wide receiver,” Herman said. “Him and Jake, kind of both in the slot, but maybe the next snap J-Whitt is in the backfield. You're in a 20 personnel (two running backs, three receivers) set, but with four wide receivers on the field, depending on what you classify J-Whitt as.”

What Herman, Yurcich and everyone with a stake in getting the offense to fulfill its potential in 2020 has in Smith and Whittington are two versatile playmakers who fit the mold of exactly what Herman’s pro-spread offense needs at H receiver. One cycle after losing a commitment from Rondale Moore (Purdue) and coming up short in their pursuit of Jaylen Waddle (Alabama), the 2019 class produced two players with the ability to put pressure on defenses in ways the Longhorns haven’t been able to in Herman’s tenure.

While breaking down how Smith and Whittington will potentially be used by Yurcich as the offense evolves under his watch, Herman gave a detailed explanation of how the H position came into existence when he arrived at Rice in 2007 and why things are shaping up to be drastically different for the Longhorns in the slot.

“When we started this offense way back at Rice and then evolved at Iowa State and then, certainly, learned a lot at Ohio State, the H, the whole reason that the letter is there — there's X (boundary-side receiver), Y (tight end) and Z (field-side receiver), obviously, which is traditional football for the last hundred years — the H stood for hybrid,” Herman said. “We wanted a guy at that position that could do both — that could line up in the backfield and take handoffs and block and catch passes out of the backfield, but also split out into the slot and run routes and do things out there.

“Those two guys, Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington, when you look at their high school experience — Jake Smith, obviously, with him having played the actual running back and then J-Whitt playing kind of a Wildcat quarterback as well as then his first year here being trained as a running back — we're finally getting to [the] prototype of that position,” he continued. “We've had to adapt. To get our best 11 on the field, it was Armanti Foreman and some other guys at H our first year and then, obviously, LJ (Lil'Jordan) Humphrey the second year — which was a completely different model of what we had looked for in a slot receiver — and then Duv (Devin Duvernay) last year was different. We did line him up in the backfield a little bit and he carried the ball a few times — I think he scored a touchdown on the ground against West Virginia.

“But these two guys (Smith and Whittington) are probably the most prototypical hybrid guys that we have had since we've been at Texas because of their background in the backfield.”

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 3

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Linebackers-welcome-back-injured-Ayodele-Adeoye-Marcus-Tillman-Jr-Chris-Ash-Tom-Herman-148154861/

Texas linebackers ready to welcome back injured Adeoye, Tillman

ByJEFF HOWE 13 hours ago

Texas head coach Tom Herman hasn’t been shy throughout the offseason when mentioning inside linebacker as an area of concern. With the coronavirus pandemic wiping out spring practice, Monday’s start of on-campus voluntary workouts is the first time anyone in the organization will get a look at what the immediate future holds at the position since the second week of March.

What will be different about the linebacker group when players go through workouts inside one of three covered weight rooms at Frank Denius Fields is the physical condition of two potential impact players.

Ayodele Adeoye would’ve missed spring practice with a foot injury he suffered during the team’s winter conditioning period and the same was true for Marcus Tillman Jr. due to his continued recovery from a knee injury that made the fourth game of the 2019 season (a 36-30 win over Oklahoma State on Sept. 21) his last.

Herman’s update on the status of both linebackers during Thursday’s video conference with reporters was encouraging.

“I think if we played a game tomorrow,” Herman said of Adeoye, “he would be ready to go.”

Adeoye, who finished fifth among all Longhorns in total tackles (45) to go along with three tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks and one interception, has the most experience of any inside linebacker in the program (17 career games played with 10 starts last season). With defensive coordinator Chris Ash and co-defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Coleman Hutzler moving DeMarvion Overshown from safety to Will linebacker in an effort to get more speed and athleticism on the field, it’s likely only one of Adeoye or Juwan Mitchell (39 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, four pass breakups and three quarterback hurries in 11 games with five starting assignments along the way) will be on the field at a time outside of special situations.

Inside linebacker depth was an issue for the Longhorns last season. There were times where former defensive coordinator Todd Orlando was forced to play Adeoye and Mitchell together. Needless to say, using a pair of 245-pound inside linebackers on a consistent basis can be problematic in a space-and-pace league like the Big 12.

When he was formally introduced as Orlando’s replacement at a February news conference, Ash listed playmaking ability in space as the primary focus when looking at the kind of inside linebackers Texas needs in order to play championship-caliber defense in the Big 12 and beyond.

“We want guys that can run sideline to sideline,” Ash said. “They're physical enough to play in the box, but they're athletic enough to play out in space and run sideline to sideline.”

Tillman can help ease the concerns about the Longhorns being too big and not athletic enough or fast enough at the second level, especially with Joseph Ossai expected to spend more time around the line of scrimmage at the Jack position (the hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker in Ash’s scheme). Herman said Tillman is on track in a recovery process where the Longhorns have proceeded with caution in regards to getting the Orlando (Fla.) Jones product back in the mix.

“He had a lot done in that knee,” Herman said. “We're taking it very slow knowing that we had a lot of time and he is progressing to where we think we'll have him full speed somewhere around the middle of July.

“He's really close to being full speed,” he added. “He's doing almost everything with just some minor modifications right now.”

Ash’s emphasis on building a defense the starts with defensive line play good enough to allow the Longhorns to compete in the College Football Playoff combined with defensive backs who can challenge receivers physically and make plays in space should make his attack less inside linebacker-dependent than Orlando’s defense. Orlando’s defense was one where he often said the defense goes as the inside linebackers go, which means there could be a link found between the gradual decline of the defensive under Orlando and going from a linebacker tandem of Malik Jefferson and Gary Johnson in 2017 to the patchwork group used in 2019.

While inside linebacker play was a struggle last season, the final question Orlando fielded from the media before he was fired following a 49-24 win over Texas Tech had to do with what he thought about the position group heading into 2020 and whether the unit had the tools to prosper in the Big 12.

Granted, Orlando didn’t yet know his fate in what would be his final press conference three days before what would be his final game with the Longhorns. Nevertheless, he felt the pieces in the room were there and could help the defense make significant progress in what would’ve been his fourth season on the job.

“I think (redshirt freshman David Gbenda) has a chance to be a really, really good player,” Orlando said. “Unfortunately, we lost (Tillman) to an early injury, but I think those guys are going to be good. I think you'll see Dele continually get better.

“(The Big 12 is) a league that they'll strain those guys quite a bit and I think there's a learning curve that goes along with that,” he added, “but I feel good about some of those younger guys coming along.”

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-WR-Jordan-Whittington-running-cutting-without-pain-Tom-Herman-148154897/

Here's some good news...

Texas WR Jordan Whittington 'running and cutting without pain'

ByJEFF HOWE 13 hours ago

he might be the best player we have on O after Sam when this year is done. Very excited to see J Whitt make some people look like fools. He's got the sudden-ness of Shipley with the uhh....more faster strongerness of.... umm... you know what i'm saying you know the thing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

he might be the best player we have on O after Sam when this year is done. Very excited to see J Whitt make some people look like fools. He's got the sudden-ness of Shipley with the uhh....more faster strongerness of.... umm... you know what i'm saying you know the thing.

Having a year off for JWhitt may result in a great 2020 season!! 🤘

• Like 1