2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

6 minutes ago, Nope said:

If we do it, this is the one. Leave the helmet logo orange though.

I don’t care what the olds say. Those are sick. Gives us a chance to get a little taste of the Oregon hype without compromising the tradition of our actual uniforms, and accomplished something positive while doing so.  I’d be all for it being a one-time thing, or maybe even once a year for a little while, to auction off for the cause. Still wouldn’t love the idea of the money going to BLM the org, but the University can find a place for the donation that will use those funds well. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Did we really tell them we couldn't have symbolic alternate uniforms?

Not sure, but CDC has known alumni stood strongly against alternate unis since he got here. This is a little different because of the circumstances of this request, but still.

Personally, I don't like the all black unis, and never have because black is not one of our colors. Maybe some less drastic accents or something (like those fucking ridiculous gold embellished ones Mack rolled out against OU).

10 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Not sure, but CDC has known alumni stood strongly against alternate unis since he got here. This is a little different because of the circumstances of this request, but still.

Personally, I don't like the all black unis, and never have because black is not one of our colors. Maybe some less drastic accents or something (like those fucking ridiculous gold embellished ones Mack rolled out against OU).

It's 2020, alternate uniforms are part of college football even if change reminds them of their own mortality.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

It's 2020, alternate uniforms are part of college football even if change reminds them of their own mortality.

You may not be aware, but we are the #1 merchandise seller in college sports. Part of that comes from the consistency of the brand. We don't muddle our own brand. We don't need to.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

You may not be aware, but we are the #1 merchandise seller in college sports. Part of that comes from the consistency of the brand. We don't muddle our own brand. We don't need to.

Cool so adding a new jersey would potentially increase sells and further separate us from #2

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

Did we really tell them we couldn't have symbolic alternate uniforms?

Don’t believe so. I don’t think the players have even asked for it yet, they just saw that Tennessee is doing it and think it’s cool. It would be an easy add from our admin to make this process go more smoothly and show they’re on their side IMO. 

11 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

That’s the whole point of this. It’s an isolated even that doesn’t “muddle our brand.” It’s a standalone that allows us to address player concerns without doing anything to change our brand or traditional uniform design.  

Edited by Burt Macklin

Just now, HeyMcFly said:

not trolling or anything but what could be the downside? Do you think people would not buy burnt orange or whatever the hell god damn orange we are using nowadays?

I think we are unique in that we haven't ever followed trends because we don't have to. We aren't a gimmick program like Oregon is. We just do Texas. I like that. I don't want us to wear alternates. I don't see any point in doing so.

Add a patch. Add a slogan. Add a sticker. Sell those. Or just have a big promo and fundraiser.

• Like 3

what are we talking about? we talkin bout jerseys...

we can't even change a jersey without "heritage" talk... (even though the jersey and the color changes often... yes, i know, differences.)

people would rather fly their flag than try to change the entire world via a simple gesture... because heritage / history.

"what starts here... is the same ol same ol... and that's how we like it."

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Snacks said:

what are we talking about? we talkin bout jerseys...

we can't even change a jersey without "heritage" talk... (even though the jersey and the color changes often... yes, i know, differences.)

people would rather fly their flag than try to change the entire world via a simple gesture... because heritage / history.

"what starts here... is the same ol same ol... and that's how we like it."

Or you know, people can have different opinions and ideas about what we should do.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Or you know, people can have different opinions and ideas about what we should do.

If you think about everything that has happened for us to arrive at the particular point in history, the idea that alternate uniforms are a significant concession, is comical.

Edited by Ricky Butler
language
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Nothing wrong with a one-time tribute, with a followup auction for charitable purposes.

I’m fine with doing it but I’ll be very surprised that once this is done that it won’t be a yearly thing.  It also opens the door to people saying if the university supports this why won’t they support this other thing.  If it’s truly a one time thing, cool.  

On 6/19/2020 at 12:28 PM, HeyMcFly said:

not trolling or anything but what could be the downside? Do you think people would not buy burnt orange or whatever the hell god damn orange we are using nowadays?

Back in the 90's I had I a dark blue shirt with a burnt orange TEXAS across the front; it looked surprisingly and ridiculously good, but I'm still not sure what marketing expert came up with including a non-school-color

• Like 1