2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Might be better to schedule a game vs South Florida on Sept 12th, rather than play UTEP on September 19th...  UTEP has other games prior to the 19th and could end up canceling  Texas game if they have a Covid-19 outbreak.

Quote: "Head coach Dana Dimel’s Miners are set to open against Texas Tech in Week 1 (Sept 5th), travel to Nevada in Week 2 (Sept 12th), then play New Mexico State in Week 4 (Sept 26th)."

Edited by LTtxfan

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-top-players-freshman-breakout-candidates-top-50-149695440/

BIJAN ROBINSON, RB, TEXAS

9598973.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

(Photo: 247Sports)

Year: True Freshman
As a Recruit: No. 15 in 247Sports Composite (2020) 

Head coach Tom Herman is hyping Texas’ running back depth. And while the Longhorns do return a pair of highly-effective rushers in Keaontay Ingram (5.9 ypc, 853 yards) and Roschon Johnson (5.3 ypc, 649 yards), it’s worth noting Johnson is entering only his second year playing the position and Ingram has already suffered a hamstring injury ahead of fall camp. Robinson, meanwhile, is a potential bell cow.

A ridiculously effective high school ball carrier, Robinson finished his senior season with 2,235 yards and 35 touchdowns while averaging 17.7 yards per carry. Those are video game statistics. The 2020 five-star and No. 1 overall back in the 247Sports Composite arrives with a college-ready frame and big-play potential. Given that the Longhorns have struggled to produce explosive rushing plays under Herman’s direction, ranking 100th (2017), 120th (2018) and 91st (2019) in runs of 20-plus yards, Robinson figures to have an instant role within the offense. Don’t be shocked if he quickly maneuvers his way into the status of Texas’ top back.

Edited by LTtxfan

7 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

my cousin told me that coaches are emphasizing to ehlinger to keep the ball on the read option this year so the defenses cant target the rb 

my cousin also says there will be a  package of rpo plays for either thompson or the freshman qbs to run during games  

finally, this is an indication that the QB room is finally where it needs to be. the coaching staff is not deathly scared if ehlinger goes down.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've always liked D Young, he has no business being a feature back for us but he's a solid break glass in-case of emergency guy. He's had some really fun, physical runs over the years and could have been good depth/special teams guy.

I agree with the above though, if he decides to move on and find a spot where he can be the lead guy no hard feelings at all. Hope he goes somewhere and kicks ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Sure, but be a man and own it.

Probably to take advantage of any NCAA rules around keeping his athletic perks without being a scholarship counter. Which... who wouldn't do that? It helps him and the team.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Sure, but be a man and own it.

Not sure how you got here, what makes you so sure his COVID concerns are bullshit? Young has a redshirt still available, if this was only about eligibility and transferring there are other avenues. And what does he need to do to own it up to your standards exactly, issue a press release that he's not a talented enough player to start at Texas and will be leaving to pursue other opportunities? 

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Probably to take advantage of any NCAA rules around keeping his athletic perks without being a scholarship counter. Which... who wouldn't do that? It helps him and the team.

And also this. Who cares, we may as well use the system to our advantage when it benefits program and player. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

spacer.png

Eh, maybe (probably?) it is bullshit but this thing has killed over 150K Americans and we have no idea who in his family may be at risk. Doesn't seem crazy to me that it wouldn't be worth the risk in some circumstances. Regardless, I was reacting more to "be a man and own it".

I like Danny Young a lot. He’s a tough runner. When I consider him on his own, I think “this guy deserves carries.” Then I look over at a very polished, reliable, effective Ingram and then look at freakish man-child Roshon Johnson and consider what is being said about Robinson’s potential.....
I hope Danny Young gets that UT degree and finds a place to get carries.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This season is gonna be so fucking weird, but here we go:

aggy ahead of us at 13 is absurd. I really wish we got to play aggy this year. We would fucking murder them. 

I think we'd beat LSU too, if we played them early in the year while they try to adjust to new schemes and almost all new starters. I'd probably bump OU up to 4, and Minnesota should be higher too. Fleck's got that program rolling. UNC's gonna be good this year. Their 2nd year QB is a stud.  Utah will probably fall out of the top 25. They lost a lot of their best players from last year, and they don't usually reload immediately.  

Jeff Howe - "Longhorns who need to make the most of preseason practice"

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-2020-season-preview-players-need-to-make-the-most-of-preseason-practice-Tarik-Black-Cade-Brewer-Jalen-Green-149919707/

Ayodele Adeoye, LB, Soph.

In what should be one of the more interesting camp battles, Adeoye is entering the march to the regular season seemingly behind Juwan Mitchell at MIKE linebacker. That’s no fault of his own: Adeoye suffered a foot injury in January that required surgery, all the while Mitchell was slimming down to 230 pounds. Adeoye had a solid season as a redshirt freshman (10 starts in 13 games; 45 tackles, three tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks and an interception) and his growth is critical to a linebacker position that’s been one of Herman’s biggest concerns in terms of both depth and frontline talent.

No matter who wins the MIKE job, the competition needs to be one where the coaches have a tough decision to make when picking a starter for the opener.

Tarik Black, WR, Sr.-TR

Coaches don’t bring graduate transfers into the fold with the intention of letting them find their way, hopeful they can contribute. Texas coveted Black’s experience coming from Michigan (nine starts in 21 games played over three seasons with Michigan).

He can’t be considered the player he was when he arrived in Ann Arbor as a four-star recruit and an All-American Bowl participant. Nevertheless, he can be of great service to the Longhorns by filling the role of a reliable, big-bodied target for Sam Ehlinger to look to in critical situations (third and fourth down, red zone, etc.) now that he's without one of Lil'Jordan Humphrey, Devin Duvernay or Collin Johnson for the first time in his career.

Cade Brewer, TE, Sr.

In Mike Yurcich’s time as Oklahoma State’s offensive coordinator (2013-2018), the Cowboys never had a tight end record 20 or more receptions in a season. What kind of role the position has under Yurcich now that he’s at the controls of Herman’s pro-spread offense should be largely determined by what Brewer shows in camp.

Brewer is the only proven commodity, but the production he posted last season (career-high marks with 11 receptions for 159 yards to go along with a touchdown) doesn’t inspire a ton of confidence in the position being a focal point offensively. Is defining Brewer’s role going to come down to him being used properly? Or do the coaches need to see something from him to feature the tight end as a key cog as opposed to an easily-replaceable part?

Ta'Quon Graham, DL, Sr.

Graham finished second to only Joseph Ossai for the team lead in tackles for loss (12) and sacks (3.5) in 2019. That was with Graham playing a 4i shade in the previous defensive scheme where he was often assigned to be a two-gapping lineman occupying blockers.

In Chris Ash’s defense, Graham (expected to be a three-technique defensive tackle) and his linemates will get to be one-gap penetrators with the staff putting an emphasis on creating disruption naturally with playmaking down linemen as opposed to manufacturing pressure while hunting negative plays. With the scheme change opening things up in the trenches, it’s time for Graham to prove whether or not he really was an NFL-caliber talent held back only by what he was being asked to do.

Jalen Green, CB, Jr.

D'Shawn Jamison is the only returning cornerback who appeared in each of the team’s 13 games last season. For Ash and Jay Valai, Jamison is the closest thing to a proven commodity at cornerback. Green flashed big-time ability as a true sophomore, but a shoulder injury and a first-half targeting suspension for the Iowa State game made for several stops and starts along the way.

The quicker the staff is able to cement Green and Jamison as the best choices to fill the starting cornerback roles, the quicker they can move on to other matters regarding figuring out what they’ve got on defense.

Denzel Okafor, OL, Sr.
Okafor put his name in the NCAA transfer portal in late March only to withdraw it a few weeks later. The former Top247 prospect has always had the tools to be a permanent starter up front (and, potentially, a good one), but he’s yet to put it all together.

It’s truly a now-or-never situation for Okafor to show what he’s got. Otherwise, Herb Hand would be better off investing in the future at tackle (Tyler Johnson, Christian Jones and Reese Moore) and guard (Isaiah Hookfin) respectively.

• Hook 'Em 1

Gerry Hamilton Team Insider Notes

Spoke with a trusted college football coach, that has ties and up close and personal details on Texas.

On T’Vondre Sweat

Lets just start here … “The best defensive tackle prospect at Texas since Shaun Rogers.” Says both Sweat and Keondre Coburn will play in the NFL. Coburn is ahead of Sweat in understanding of how hard you have to play on every snap. When Sweat gets to Coburn’s level of consistent effort, “watch out.” [of note, this source has not seen Alfred Collins on the 40 Acres]

Joshua Moore

“The best receiver in the program.” This source has always been bullish on Moore, and remains so. Says he was getting “locked in” on what he needed to do to realize his potential last season.

Marcus Washington

Should be a multi-year starter. Not as fast as others, but a “great competitor that will win too many reps and be too consistent to keep off the field.”

Kennedy Lewis

Talent is definitely there to be a quality player at Texas. With that said, it’s will be all about maturity — “He had a long ways to go in that regard.” Bottom line, was not ready for demands and expectations.

Isaiah Hookfin

Has “great feet.” Said not good, but great feet twice. Thing that surprised most about Hookfin was how much of a worker he was. That was an unknown when he signed, but very impressed by how hard Hookfin works … “Hookfin is a grinder.” Added that he will be surprised if Tyler Johnson isn’t a quality player. And that Christian Jones still a year away from being a quality Big 12 starter. Still so young as a football player, especially the offensive line demands to play at a high level.

Myron Warren

Likes Warren as a player, but will be surprised if he ever develops into a multi-year starter. Good depth piece that could be a later career starter. Came into Texas with more development needed in terms of technique and physically than others on the DL.

Marcus Tillman Jr.

Loves Tillman’s ability — “Tillman would have been a starter at some point last season if he hadn’t gotten injured. He was turning heads.” Said Gbenda will be a quality player as well.

Juwan Mitchell

“The kid that’s been in and out of the portal can really play.” Says Mitchell with a healthy Tillman and Gbenda having a year in the program will make the LB group much better than last season.

Jared Wiley

This source has always been bullish on Wiley, but he went a step further … “Wiley should play for money one day.”

Safeties turned OLB’s

“Not just Overshown that would be best at linebacker, but Owens and even B.J. Foster. If Foster was willing, he would be a great WILL backer.” Likes Foster at safety, to be clear, but loves what he could end up being at WILL backer.

Defensive depth/talent is looking great as an overall unit. Questions still remain on the O-line, though.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

IF there is football this fall and Herman insists on leaving Brewer on the field in 4 wide sets I will come unglued.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

If Foster was willing, he would be a great WILL backer.” Likes Foster at safety, to be clear, but loves what he could end up being at WILL backer

I'm hoping Ash's defense ends up getting Foster on the field and aligned like a WILL the majority of the time. If Foster prefers to be called a "box safety" or whatever who cares, just put in a position to succeed.

27 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I'm hoping Ash's defense ends up getting Foster on the field and aligned like a WILL the majority of the time. If Foster prefers to be called a "box safety" or whatever who cares, just put in a position to succeed.

I think he weighs 5 lbs less than Jake Smith rn. If he's moving closer to the LOS, it seems he's going to be doing so reluctantly 

Yeah BJ lost a bunch of weight he's sub 200 rn, trying to not get Overshowned lol..... meanwhile Adimora is like 210-215 or something, he's def gonna be the spur/box safety/nickel whatever you call it

edit - Jamison one handing the block on that huge fucker is funny

Edited by cam4mav

25 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

Yeah BJ lost a bunch of weight he's sub 200 rn, trying to not get Overshowned lol..... meanwhile Adimora is like 210-215 or something, he's def gonna be the spur/box safety/nickel whatever you call it

edit - Jamison one handing the block on that huge fucker is funny

It might have been Jeff Howe but I know that one of the Texas guys reporting on that said to not put too much into Foster's weight - he was rehabbing an injury and then because of COVID wasn't able to work out at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I think he weighs 5 lbs less than Jake Smith rn. If he's moving closer to the LOS, it seems he's going to be doing so reluctantly 

14 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

Ah, well nevertheless! 

Yeah, didn't catch that he's forcing the coaches hand with the weight-loss, even in the modern game he's going to have a hard time holding up at LB full-time at that weight. Hopefully the weight loss and being healthy makes him a better pure safety. 

IMO,  6 of the back 7 should be Green, Jamison, Sterns, Foster, Adimora, Mitchell. 7th guy should be one of CBrown, Overshown, Tillman or Gbenda depending on who steps up and the opposing offensive style.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I don’t know if he could play worse than he did last season.  so it’s a good bet he’ll be better. 

He was truly terrible last year but I'm still a believer. He was hurt and shouldn't have even been on the field for a good chunk of the season.

Did we have a player in the secondary that put together a good season last year? Foster, Cook, Sterns, Green, Overshown, Boyce and to an extent BJones all were either objectively bad or disappointing relative to their recruiting rankings. Jamison was pretty good and Chris Brown was solid.

The guys that return will be better this season because it's a good bet the coaching will be better. JFC, it has to be.

aggy ahead of us at 13 is absurd. I really wish we got to play aggy this year. We would fucking murder them. 
I think we'd beat LSU too, if we played them early in the year while they try to adjust to new schemes and almost all new starters. I'd probably bump OU up to 4, and Minnesota should be higher too. Fleck's got that program rolling. UNC's gonna be good this year. Their 2nd year QB is a stud.  Utah will probably fall out of the top 25. They lost a lot of their best players from last year, and they don't usually reload immediately.  

2019....”all new offense and cant adjust”....”fatball”...”we’ve defended that for years”...”Burrow sucks”....

2020....repeat, ad nauseam, ad infinitum...lol.

2019....”all new offense and cant adjust”....”fatball”...”we’ve defended that for years”...”Burrow sucks”....

• Fuck You 2

19 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

There is a reason Brady is now an OC in the NFL - he overcame all of that and turned Joe Burrow into the greatest QB in college football.  We ate a shit ton of crow  

But, it’s cool, you’ve got his playbook, don’t need him - right?. The octogenarian was the one really calling the plays anyways, right? Or is it Scott Linehan now?  Either way I’m sure they’re  bringing a fresh perspective - it’s not like they don’t already have a track record. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1