SURLY ROAD TRIP 2020: Baton Rouge - Texas at LSU, Sept. 12

LonghornSean

39 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

When’s a good time to buy tickets?

IMO...the sooner the better. Neither of us will lose our first game. And, if LSU wins next week...those Cajuns will be extra fired up for their first “real” game next year...which is Texas.

^
That's a good idea.  Would be cheaper and more fun than 25 individual Uber/Lyfts, and certainly safer than a bunch of Surly folks in rental cars.  

7:00p kick-off, 11:00p departure from BR.  Arrive back in French Quarter after midnight for frolicking and festivities.  

On 1/7/2020 at 1:58 PM, bigcigar said:

Any interest in a round trip Surly party bus from NO? Not sure my group wants to stay in BR overnight

Yes.  I'll gladly cancel my rooms in BR if this is the play.  I just don't want to drive on game day.

I know a few LSU alums and have been to BR a few times. Friday-Sunday with the game taking up all of Saturday is the perfect time frame to be there. There's enough in town to have a good time on Friday night and get something good to eat on Sunday morning before hitting the road. If you're looking to get away longer, go early to New Orleans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Quick checks on costs - $65 - $140 / person for round trip. Assuming 12 hours - leave New Orleans ~1 for a 7pm game - and we get about 20. Price range depends on type of vehicle - shuttle vs actual party bus.

I’m in x 2. Keep us posted. And thank you for coordinating this.

Edited by Tailgate

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Can someone tell me exactly how long it takes to get from NO to Tiger Stadium on gameday? Ive heard from lsu alum coworkers and friends that it could be anywhere from 2.5 hrs to 4 hrs, depending on the game

is that true?

That would = very drunk party bus

I can subsidize it as long as there is a banner and lots of pictures involved (can blur faces) 

Either this or I can do a real tailgate there since it's early enough I can do one through the tailgate guys or something. Let me know what you guys think. 

• Like 3

My son and I went to Auburn @ LSU in 2013.  We had a blast, a definite must do if you are fan of college football experiences. We were neutral observers, just there for the experience, and it was great.  Attending as visiting fans certainly has the reputation of not being as pleasant.  Not sure we'll make this trip as he will have a game Friday night and film / work out on Saturday morning.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn downtown BR that a few on here have mentioned.  It was fine for the weekend and it is situated on the river and just a couple of blocks from the capitol building.

There is an old war ship / museum docked in the river pretty close and a couple of other museums around the capitol complex.  The tiger habitat on campus is pretty sweet and the tiger walk or whatever they call it when the team, band and cheerleaders walk down a hill toward the stadium a couple of hours before gametime is pretty neat to watch also.

Coffee Call in BR has the best beignets in the area (including New Orleans).  As someone else indicated arrive Friday, have Saturday consumed by tailgating and the game and leave Sunday.  I'm sure the party bus to/from NO will be fun, but if you stay in BR you will stay busy and be able to get your drink on if  desired without having to spend 2 hours on a bus driving back to New Orleans at midnight after an already long day.

Wish I was going to be able to make it.  Hook 'em!!

• Like 2

We are probably just going to stay in BR one night. How many days should we stay and visit NO? if there’s just bourbon street then I don’t want to stay too long. The spouse and I have never been, we ended up staying 3 extra days after the game in LA a couple of years ago.

4 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

We are probably just going to stay in BR one night. How many days should we stay and visit NO? if there’s just bourbon street then I don’t want to stay too long. The spouse and I have never been, we ended up staying 3 extra days after the game in LA a couple of years ago.

Plenty in New Orleans outside of bourbon. I wouldn’t spend much time on Bourbon anyway.

6 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

When we go to NOLA we don't go to Bourbon street.  You can spend a pretty lazy 2 days there just sampling some good food, hanging out in the Garden District/Audobon-ish.  WWII museum is a must.

On 1/9/2020 at 7:00 AM, immamac said:

I can subsidize it as long as there is a banner and lots of pictures involved (can blur faces) 

Either this or I can do a real tailgate there since it's early enough I can do one through the tailgate guys or something. Let me know what you guys think. 

You think this time you can make it more than 2 hours before the RV breaks down?

LSU is looking at losing quite a bit of their first team contributors 

Here's the list I could come up with

RB: Edwards-Helaire
WR: Jefferson

TE: Moss
C': Cushenberry
OT: Charles
OT: Deculus
DE: Logan
NT: Shelvin
Backup DE: Farrell
OLB: Chaisson
LB: Queen
LB: Phillips
S: Delpit
S: Stevens
NB/CB: Vincent JR

The ones in bold are expected to leave. The rest are up in the air. A couple have a low likelihood of leaving, including Deculus and Farrell, but you can't count them out after winning it all.

The senior starters they're losing are Burrow, Lewis (OG), Magee (OG), Lawrence (DE), Divinity (LB), and Fulton (CB). They're also losing primary backups Sullivan (TE) and Traore (6th OL)

Edited by Fud

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 12:58 PM, bigcigar said:

Any interest in a round trip Surly party bus from NO? Not sure my group wants to stay in BR overnight

On 1/7/2020 at 2:32 PM, Lobo said:

^
That's a good idea.  Would be cheaper and more fun than 25 individual Uber/Lyfts, and certainly safer than a bunch of Surly folks in rental cars.  

7:00p kick-off, 11:00p departure from BR.  Arrive back in French Quarter after midnight for frolicking and festivities.  

On 1/8/2020 at 4:29 PM, Assman said:

Yes.  I'll gladly cancel my rooms in BR if this is the play.  I just don't want to drive on game day.

On 1/8/2020 at 6:32 PM, bigcigar said:

Quick checks on costs - $65 - $140 / person for round trip. Assuming 12 hours - leave New Orleans ~1 for a 7pm game - and we get about 20. Price range depends on type of vehicle - shuttle vs actual party bus.

On 1/8/2020 at 6:34 PM, Tailgate said:

I’m in x 2. Keep us posted. And thank you for coordinating this.

On 1/8/2020 at 7:50 PM, SubliminalHorn said:

Totes in

On 1/8/2020 at 8:04 PM, Bevo VIII said:

I have a group of about 4-5 total that would be interested in the party bus

On 1/9/2020 at 5:54 AM, tejas60 said:

In for 2

On 1/9/2020 at 6:00 AM, immamac said:

On 1/10/2020 at 2:04 AM, Tailgate said:

Yep...party bus to the tailgate could be an epic experience by itself.

Seems like this book may need a sequel:

https://www.amazon.com/Forged-Hotter-Fire-Lessons-Little/dp/0595290779

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...