2020 Welding Thread - Whatcha building?

Marfa Low Crown

For messing around and hobby stuff, look at a dual voltage stick welder. You can checkout the a Hobart MVP 160 or a ESAB Rogue 180i at Northern Tool and I they have a Lincoln inverter unit there too. Both of these will run a 1/8” rod and can be run off of a 120 or 240V circuit. For ranch stuff you can run 3/32 rods with a small generator pretty easily for most remote repairs and you have 240v capability to run larger rods with higher duty cycles in the shop.

Get a few pounds each of 3/32 & 1/8 6011, 6013, 7014 and 7018. Go by a steel yard (Steel Supply is who we use in Houston) and get some 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8 drop of flat bar or sheet steel.

Get your welder guy to show you some stuff and then practice running some beads like above and then move on to butt and fillet welds. Then find some shit that needs welded up and weld it. If you fuck up the weld, you can always grind it out and try again. Shits not hard, they teach it to 9th and 10 grade ag students.

Or just buy an inverter Mig setup with an auto-set feature, some gas tanks and be running great beads in a couple of hours.

On 7/3/2022 at 8:24 PM, deadshank said:

Thanks!

I talked to our red iron / structural steel contractor that also welds iron fencing, ornamental iron and the like.  He said to come on down and he would be pleased  to tutor me, use his equipment and hook me up with quality stuff if I want to really dive in.  

Awesome, that's your answer right there. That will take your a lot farther than a workshop course. 
I basically gave up welding a little over a year ago because of health problems that interfered with my ability to do it.
With just a basic knowledge of it you can really do some cool and useful things. Have fun! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

For messing around and hobby stuff, look at a dual voltage stick welder. You can checkout the a Hobart MVP 160 or a ESAB Rogue 180i at Northern Tool and I they have a Lincoln inverter unit there too. Both of these will run a 1/8” rod and can be run off of a 120 or 240V circuit. For ranch stuff you can run 3/32 rods with a small generator pretty easily for most remote repairs and you have 240v capability to run larger rods with higher duty cycles in the shop.

Get a few pounds each of 3/32 & 1/8 6011, 6013, 7014 and 7018. Go by a steel yard (Steel Supply is who we use in Houston) and get some 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8 drop of flat bar or sheet steel.

Get your welder guy to show you some stuff and then practice running some beads like above and then move on to butt and fillet welds. Then find some shit that needs welded up and weld it. If you fuck up the weld, you can always grind it out and try again. Shits not hard, they teach it to 9th and 10 grade ag students.

Or just buy an inverter Mig setup with an auto-set feature, some gas tanks and be running great beads in a couple of hours.

I’ve been telling myself I’m going to get a Millermatic but I keep using my throw away cash for other stuff.

• 7 months later...

So I guess welding Aluminum is a leap above all of this correct?  I have always wanted to learn welding just to add it to my quiver of talents.  I go to the coast a lot and have come up with some ideas for a hitch based carrier that would covert to an elevated rod holder and tray for surf fishing, with enough height to run out shark baits.  But I would need to weld on a couple of triangular shaped convertible mounts onto the square tubing to enable the conversion from hitch carrier to elevated rod holder stand.

I assume welding aluminum is a lot trickier?

So I guess welding Aluminum is a leap above all of this correct?  I have always wanted to learn welding just to add it to my quiver of talents.  I go to the coast a lot and have come up with some ideas for a hitch based carrier that would covert to an elevated rod holder and tray for surf fishing, with enough height to run out shark baits.  But I would need to weld on a couple of triangular shaped convertible mounts onto the square tubing to enable the conversion from hitch carrier to elevated rod holder stand.

Don’t you have to tig that?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Stainless steel?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Don’t you have to tig that?

You can use a spool gun with a regular DC Mig welder and 100% argon gas to weld al but it isn’t as nice as using an AC tig machine. Welding Al takes a lot of power smaller household Mig machines may have a problem with even 3/16 Al angle and plate.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...

Bumpidy bump:

I am looking for a home use welder for weekend warrior repairs and such.  I dont want a bottle so I am going with flux cored MIG.  I have been seeing these YesWelder machines and they get good reviews.  Anybody used one?  Have one?  The option to go from MIG to stick is enticing as well.  

Or if you have other recommendations I would appreciate it. Note: I had a 240V plug in my garage installed when I built it just in case I ever did want one. 

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Bumpidy bump:

I am looking for a home use welder for weekend warrior repairs and such.  I dont want a bottle so I am going with flux cored MIG.  I have been seeing these YesWelder machines and they get good reviews.  Anybody used one?  Have one?  The option to go from MIG to stick is enticing as well.  

Or if you have other recommendations I would appreciate it. Note: I had a 240V plug in my garage installed when I built it just in case I ever did want one. 

Weekend warrior you can do a lot with the 110’s.  I’m going on 15 years will a little Hobart 110.  I also keep a 50a Lincoln box around for anything thicker.  I got rid of the bigger stuff years ago when I realized I can use the shop stuff for anything I can’t handle at home. 

Came real close to buying one of the yeswelders during Black Friday Amazon sales but ended up passing for the time being. Project Farm YouTube guy did some videos on cheap mig inverter welders and the Yeswelder came out favorably. I would just consider it disposable if you end up frying the circuit boards.

14 hours ago, davidg said:

Came real close to buying one of the yeswelders during Black Friday Amazon sales but ended up passing for the time being. Project Farm YouTube guy did some videos on cheap mig inverter welders and the Yeswelder came out favorably. I would just consider it disposable if you end up frying the circuit boards.

Love that goofy dude's channel.