Happy Vince Young Day

runthebone

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

At this time 14 years ago I was wandering around the rose bowl grounds with $2400 on my hip trying to score 2 tickets. I failed, but had a backup plan at a party with all USC fans. Bittersweet day.

Did not see one person selling tickets that day.  It was incredible, really.  You'd think two out of 90,000 people would take 1200 for their seat, but apparently nothing.  I wonder what the going rate was for those that were able to scalp.

1 hour ago, cochamps said:

Vince was an exceptional player, especially at the Rose Bowl.

The Rose Bowl was one of the few places he actually played 4 quarters......most other games he played maybe 3. No telling how many stats he would have piled up in '05, an epic amount. Of course the media thought he was just a fluky Rose Bowl performer.....they were more interested in adding up bush's "all-purpose" yards in season......like all those KO return chances he got in 'SC shootouts

Did not see one person selling tickets that day.  It was incredible, really.  You'd think two out of 90,000 people would take 1200 for their seat, but apparently nothing.  I wonder what the going rate was for those that were able to scalp.
Actually had about 3 or 4 lowlifes try to sell me fake tickets. The seal was raised on the fake tickets. And these retards had them at the 50 like 10 rows up for 300-500.

Yea right.

I saw one "transaction" go down at there as I was walking in to the game.  An enterprising fan had a guy who was by the first gate who looked like he was prepared to be selling programs pulled aside.  The wad of money was massive.  I saw the guy selling programs take the wad, hand the fan some badge and then unhook the bag of programs that was slung over his shoulder and hand it to the fan and go on his way.  I'm just going to assume that smart guy went in and rooted for Texas.

Otherwise always and forever the best football game I have ever been to in my life...mainly because Vince was an exceptional player, especially at the Rose Bowl.

Edited by Surly Bevo

We had an RV parked in a rockstar location about a 5 iron away from the Rose Bowl, in the midst of USC RV's. Had $1500 cash on me, but was hoping to get in for less. Real early in the morning one guy came by offering a single for like $800 for a seat as far away from the field as you could get. I scoffed at that man. I regret scoffing at that man.

Had to watch it on TV in our RV, but at least we had a keg. We would hear the roar  from the stadium before the action happened on  TV. Goddamn that was a good time. 

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

At this time 14 years ago I was wandering around the rose bowl grounds with $2400 on my hip trying to score 2 tickets. I failed, but had a backup plan at a party with all USC fans. Bittersweet day.

Was living in So Cal at the time and had made a pact with another life-long Horn fan that we would go to the Natty together wherever/whenever  it happen. Got mine from a Trojan alum that had been to previous championship game against Oklahoma off eBay. He mentioned that he had canceled a honeymoon cruise with the wifey and promised that regardless of the next years outcome, they were going on the cruise. Best $600/ticket ever spent.

As noted, no one was selling and I actually had someone offer us $1100 per ticket. That wasn’t going to happen and will never forget that glorious day of giving the Condoms shit and seeing their faces on the way back to the truck for the drive home.

2 hours ago, rungeflash said:

The Rose Bowl was one of the few places he actually played 4 quarters......most other games he played maybe 3. No telling how many stats he would have piled up in '05, an epic amount. Of course the media thought he was just a fluky Rose Bowl performer.....they were more interested in adding up bush's "all-purpose" yards in season......like all those KO return chances he got in 'SC shootouts

But Reggie Bush showed amazing moves against ... Fresno St.

7 hours ago, markstanco said:

I’ve attended literally hundreds of sporting events; this was the only one I can remember where there was virtually no secondary market.  We tailgated at the edge of a rose bowl parking lot next to some dude wearing a sandwich board reading “I will pay $1,500 for a ticket”.  He had no takers.....

Edited by Ignatius

6 hours ago, rungeflash said:

Este.

That's one of the biggest myths about VY - that his performance vs USC was his best performance. It was biggest, but his best? Nah.

Like you say, it all comes from people not really paying attention to Texas or VY up til that game, and not giving them due credit for how dominant they'd actually been.

• Like 1

I'm still so appreciative that upperclassmen got allotted tickets.  Got to see us beat Michigan as a Junior.  Got to go back as a Senior. 

I've never seen so many people in one place as there were outside the game before kickoff.  Just a sea of people.  From the bougie Cali people, to the "Fuck Ya'll, I'm From Texas" folks, to doomsday preachers holding signs saying the END IS NEAR. 

Crazy part is, I had more fun during the game when we beat Michigan.  I was just happy to be there, no expectations, etc.  I was a nervous wreck during the game against USC.   

I’ve still got a lingering shoulder injury that I acquired originally when VY scored on 4th and 5.  Screaming at the top of my lungs and fist pumps in the air in my bedroom at home, with my wife saying, “be quiet, you’ll wake up the kids!”  I couldn’t sleep for hours after that.  I texted my brother, who was at the game “Best college football game ever played”. 

Edited by CycleTex87

45 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I’ve still got a lingering shoulder injury that I acquired originally when VY scored on 4th and 5.  Screaming at the top of my lungs and fist pumps in the air in my bedroom at home, with my wife saying, “be quiet, you’ll wake up the kids!”  I couldn’t sleep for hours after that.  I texted my brother, who was at the game “Best college football game ever played”. 

That seems like the exact thing you should wake the kids up for.

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

How in the absolute fuck did we manage to parlay something as badass as Vince Young into a decade of turd sandwiches?

We are a special breed of stupid

To be fair, we parlayed that game into 4 more good years. 3 of the next 4 seasons, we were in the national championship hunt. Went to one and should have went to another the year before that. It's not like we fell off a cliff immediately after. But fucking Mack and the staff got complacent and lazy in recruiting.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Blotto said:

We had an RV parked in a rockstar location about a 5 iron away from the Rose Bowl, in the midst of USC RV's. Had $1500 cash on me, but was hoping to get in for less. Real early in the morning one guy came by offering a single for like $800 for a seat as far away from the field as you could get. I scoffed at that man. I regret scoffing at that man.

Had to watch it on TV in our RV, but at least we had a keg. We would hear the roar  from the stadium before the action happened on  TV. Goddamn that was a good time. 

csb/ For the rest of my ticket needs in Texas, I'll forever be a loyal user of CenTex Tickets.  Before he left to co-found that place, my friend was a broker at TicketCity.  I had bought two tickets and paid out the ass for them before leaving for the West Coast on New Year's Eve.  I couldn't get the tickets in time before our flight, so he took them with him to SoCal.  I also missed him that morning at our mutual hotel in Hollywood area.  So here we are, taking a cab to Pasadena with no tickets in hand after lunch, with the "understanding" that we'll find each other so he can hand off the physical tickets.  I had never been to the Rose Bowl before that and didn't realize it was just a massive open parking lot and golf course with no landmarks or easy to meet places.  We walked from our hotel in Pasadena down to the stadium, a good 30-45 minute walk past several hundred people looking for tickets with blatant ads for how much cash they were carrying.  I really thought we were fucked.  He was gonna refund my credit card and make 2x down here in cash what I paid for my tickets.  And with shitty cell signal, we finally found him about two hours to kickoff.  He was right in front of the famous sign, with my tickets in an envelope that was strapped to his forearm with more rubber bands than Pablo Escobar.  His arm was turning purple but it was the safest place to carry them.  We took our tickets and went to tailgate, he could have pulled some bullshit on me and pocketed so much cash, but he didn't and almost got mugged for them.  Tickets were at the goalline and way up near the top, all USC section.  But we got to sit by O.J.'s Osteopath who told us he knows O.J. killed Ron and Nicole.  So that was fun.  I was a bad fan and we walked down to near the tunnels on that last drive, so we could beat the rush if we lost.  But VY scores and you can see former OL Ryan Fiebiger (who was sitting way down low in that corner) pick me up and toss me around like a rag doll after Vince's touchdown.  so the ticket debacle was all worth while and I'm always grateful to him for that and send him lots of referral business every year.  But I ain't never paying that much for a football game for the rest of my life.  We went back in 2009 but in a much more low-key fashion.  /csb

Hard to believe that was 14 years ago already.  

VY was at autograph show today. Not many people there stayed for him, maybe 10 to 15. Lilshep did, he waited to be last then asked Vince to throw him a pass. Also asked Colt to do the same. He caught passes from VY and Colt today. VY was super nice and friendly, same for Colt.

• Like 3

My wife claims that as we were walking towards the game, a guy offered me 10 grand for both my tickets.  If that actually happened, I must have blocked it out of my mind since nothing was going to keep me from attending that game.  In retrospect, knowing what I know now, I'd have probably paid 20 grand for 2 tickets to that game if I hadn't had mine.  Greatest night of my life.  

On 1/5/2020 at 9:19 AM, Pimphand said:

How in the absolute fuck did we manage to parlay something as badass as Vince Young into a decade of turd sandwiches?

We are a special breed of stupid

Boy, this here. I've said it many times ... Mack had a unique chance to make Texas THE destination for the best Dual Threat QBs coming out of HS. DTQBU. And of course, he decided to go the other way after Colt vs Bama. What a fucking dipshit. Fuck Mack Brown.