Montenegro

On 1/4/2020 at 8:09 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Anyone been? Thinking about an early September trip to Kotor and the surrounding area.

I've sailed there while skipping around the Dalmatian coast. I don't have a ton of knowledge but if there are any specifics I may be able to give my .02 anyway. It's gorgeous.

It has definitely shot to my top 10 of places to go.  I was seriously trying to get there this year, but the lack of flights into the area is definitely an issue.  I think I am going to do Milan/Parma/Bologna/Ravenna in October, and save this for 2021.  It seems like more and more airlines are operating routes there.  

• Like 1

My honest opinion is if you are looking to stay in a hotel to go to Dubrovnik, and take a trip over from there as there is a lot more stuff nearby in Dubrovnik. I would do Montenegro more if I was planning on renting a house for the week.

6 hours ago, G650 said:

My honest opinion is if you are looking to stay in a hotel to go to Dubrovnik, and take a trip over from there as there is a lot more stuff nearby in Dubrovnik. I would do Montenegro more if I was planning on renting a house for the week.

I was looking to rent a waterfront house for a week and drive a car.  However, need to go earlier in the year than I am going.  I am looking for a trip in late October, which is just too late for good waterfront as the water will be too cold.

41 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yeah, that is a great plan. Early September is really, really nice. You can go earlier, but it's more crowded, crowded being relative obviously, but it's nice to go when it's a little more peaceful.

Yeah, aiming for 2021, early September.  Probably taking my folks for their 50th anniversary trip.  They would love it there.

Yeah, that is a great plan. Early September is really, really nice. You can go earlier, but it's more crowded, crowded being relative obviously, but it's nice to go when it's a little more peaceful.

I’d like to do this and Budapest as well. I’ve only heard great things from folks I’ve known who went.

7 hours ago, troph said:

I’d like to do this and Budapest as well. I’ve only heard great things from folks I’ve known who went.

I actually stayed in Budapest on that trip funny enough. Can't recommend it enough, fantastic food, still unspoilt by mass western tourism, crazy cheap.

Did a little circle around there - Macedonia, Kosovo, Albania, Ohrid, Skhoder, Prizren, Skopje (mother teresas birthplace).  The lakes are  big'ish regional destination in the summer.  But mostly they all feel predictably small and sleepy.  Best takeaway from that area was that Shopska salad is quite delicious, and easy to make

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The lakes are  big'ish regional destination in the summer. 

Plitvice Lakes were one of the most surreal experiences I have had, not for the lakes themselves, which are gorgeous, but the lodging. It was straight Communist era hotels, down to the Soviet green walls. Could have been 1973 behind the Iron Curtain.

• 2 weeks later...
I actually stayed in Budapest on that trip funny enough. Can't recommend it enough, fantastic food, still unspoilt by mass western tourism, crazy cheap.

My partner is a builder and she has closer to a million points on Amex (does 1-.5-2 per year) due to monthly building material purchases. We are now officially planning. Eastern Europe with Budapest as the anchor is in the lead. I could do Northern Europe too. Unfortunately it has to be summer due to my custody schedule though. I’d love for it to be September.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

My partner is a builder and she has closer to a million points on Amex (does 1-.5-2 per year) due to monthly building material purchases. We are now officially planning. Eastern Europe with Budapest as the anchor is in the lead. I could do Northern Europe too. Unfortunately it has to be summer due to my custody schedule though. I’d love for it to be September.

If it is summer, I would totally do Scandinavia.  

I am going to get to go to Copenhagen during August, and am probably going to spend the weekend before and after doing some other stuff.  It is really rough having to go to Copenhagen 5-6 times a year for work.  :D

• Like 2

This is what we’re doing at the end of April. Flights are booked, but not sure anything has been planned yet.
  • Like 1