2020 ATP/WTA thread

ss13

1 hour ago, ss13 said:

Defending champ Kyrgios retires in R1 from Mexico with a wrist injury. 

I’m watching the replay of Venus’ match today and they just talked up how much the crowd loves Rafa and Nick. 

I would have hit opposite sides point-after-point when playing 39 year-old Venus Williams. Venus was just crushing it on the final point of the 4-5 2nd set point that tied it at 5. And then she started off nicely on her serve, but...

On 2/24/2020 at 8:12 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

Anisimova takes out Svitolina in straight sets in Qatar. Probably her most impressive win since her father's passing last year. She's starting to find that form she had in early 2019 which is good to see.

And withdrew today with the dreaded gastrointestinal illness. 

23 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

lol Sloane. Zarazua will probably lose 1,1 next round and I don't even know who she's playing. 

She bageled the kid Volynets in the 3rd. 

Edited by ss13
After an 82-minute second set.

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

🔥🔥🔥

I like those Wilson racquets.

I have been thinking about getting a new racquet and have researched various Wilsons & Babolats. Last time I bought a new racquet, I got a Völkl from a place in LA (Glendale) named "Tennis Doctor". It has tons of new racquets from the previous year or two. I liked the Yonex shape with a $40 price tag. (This was about 15 years ago.)

What racquets do people on here use, and why? (Plus, what level would you consider yourself?)

I have probably only played about 5 times in the last 10 years, but in LA I played 5 to 10 times a year for a few years. Never had individual lessons, never had a good serve, but I can rip some forehands on an inconsistent basis and have a steady, if unspectacular two-handed backhand. I'd consider myself a "low intermediate".

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

11 hours ago, satyanash said:

Wilson Blade has been my go-to for a while now... a few years ago they dropped their prices to try and push Babolat out of the college/junior market.Their V7 from last year with the foam-filled handle is pretty nice. 

Thanks. I ended up going with a used racquet from Tennis Express in Houston. (It's being shipped to me in Dallas.)

Screen-Shot-2020-02-27-at-8-19-52-PM.png

$70 + tax (no shipping)

It's listed as a $159 racquet normally, so I'm cool with getting something that is slightly bonked up while I see how my elbow and groundstrokes like it on an extended basis. I'm guessing that this is a demo of the 2017 update that they are offloading in anticipation of a 2020 update to the Blade line.

https://www.tennisexpress.com/no-show-wilson-blade-98-18x20-cv-used-racquet-4_3-8-80777

In the comment section on YouTube below a review of this or the 16x19 Blade, the tennis pro said that the 16x19 would provide more power while the 18x20 would provide more accuracy and be easier on the arm & wrist.

50 minutes ago, ss13 said:

You can really go down a rabbit hole here if you’re bored. 

https://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php?forums/racquets.9/

Hell, the most recent thread is about satyanash’s rec. 

https://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php?threads/wilson-blade-v7-help-me-to-choose.664520/

Facebook algorithms have been trying to seduce me with a different rabbit hole.

Screen-Shot-2020-02-27-at-9-22-12-PM.png

PS- I'm out of rep, but thanks for the links.

5 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The dream run for the Mexican ends at the hands of a 17 year old Canadian in a rare NATO matchup that didn't include the USA

You have NATO and NAFTA confused, but whatever. 

The French speaking Ecuadorean-Filipina who lives in Florida is just a better player than the mexicana and Cinderella’s carriage turned into a calabaza. (Qué triste 😥 🇲🇽)

i have a strong dislike for Isner and I was glad to see that the SoCal boy of privilege who knocked up his latina girlfriend at 18 , then married, and then became a father at 19, was able to power through and beat that lisping Frankenstein. 

Isner is an absolutely horrible tennis player who also happens to be a phenomenal server of the tennis ball due to tens of thousands of hours of practice and a 6’10” frame. 

• Like 1

Kenin nearly crashed out against a qualifier in the second round in Lyon. She faced a match point on her own serve and then her 21 year-old Romanian opponent served for the match like a girl who was afraid to win. 

Now lauren Davis is playing against a physical specimen from the Netherlands 🇳🇱 in Monterrey. Davis is dressed like a 30-something to 40-something housewife practicing on a chilly night in spring with her ladies who lunch tennis team. The contrast between her and her opponent is striking. 

• Like 1

Look at the entire crowd, you would think it’s freezing. Google says it’s 66 there now. 

Rus has always been hot, but never good. She’s tied for the all-time women’s consecutive match loss streak with 17. 

Edited by ss13