2020 ATP/WTA thread

ss13

This Covid delay has the potential of throwing the all time slam race into all kinds of chaos.  Nadal would have been a heavy favorite to tie up the total in Paris, Wimbledon might have been Fed’s last best shot to add another one, and Novak would have been favored in London and New York.  Who knows when the next slam will be played, but none of those 3 are getting any younger.  Losing these opportunities will have a long lasting impact on men’s tennis history.

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

Fed should have like 5 more Grand Slams.  Replaying the 08 Wimbledon Final on ESPN2 tonight - he was something like 1 for 12 on break points in the first 2 sets of that match.

If Federer's MP conversion rate was the same as that of Nadal or Djokovic, he would have had a lot more titles. Which is strange to say because he's won over 100 in his career, more than anyone else by a fair margin. But he's lost several critical matches in which he's held MP:

- 2019 Wimbledon F against Novak Djokovic

- 2005 Australian Open SF against Marat Safin

- 2010 U.S. Open SF against Novak Djokovic

- 2011 U.S. Open SF against Novak Djokovic

- 2006 Italian Open F against Rafael Nadal

- 2018 Indian Wells F against Juan Martin del Potro

- 2018 Wimbledon QF against Kevin Anderson

and plenty more that I've probably forgotten. If his MP conversion rate equaled Nadal or Djokovic he'd unquestionably be the GOAT, not just now but moving forward.

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Which is strange to say because he's won over 100 in his career, more than anyone else by a fair margin.

Jimmy Connors still leads the ATP title race with 109 titles. Fed is currently in 2nd with 103

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Era_tennis_records_–_men's_singles#All_tournaments

25 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Jimmy Connors still leads the ATP title race with 109 titles. Fed is currently in 2nd with 103

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Era_tennis_records_–_men's_singles#All_tournaments

Totally forgot about Connors... in my defence, a lot of his titles would be considered challengers by today's standards.

27 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

The US Open final vs Del Potro was another missed opportunity.

The 2009 US Open was probably Federer's best chance at winning all four Slams in a row. He was two points away from victory, then lost his cool w/ the umpire and it all went downhill from there 😡

On 3/26/2020 at 8:41 AM, satyanash said:

Wimbledon is streaming the ENTIRE 2010 Isner-Mahut match on YouTube. (But apparently they still can't put together good highlight packages -_-)

On 3/26/2020 at 2:32 PM, WBT said:

but why?

Isner is a blight on the sport. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, satyanash said:

Djokovic's finding ways to have fun as well. (I think that's a frying pan?)

Those chairs that they are using for a net are sooooo... Eastern European nouveau rich living in Monaco.

After a trip to Versailles, Novak's mom ordered chairs like that for her son so that when he hosted Christmas dinners, they could all sit around like royalty.

So funny.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 9:14 PM, Napoleon said:

Those chairs that they are using for a net are sooooo... Eastern European nouveau rich living in Monaco.

After a trip to Versailles, Novak's mom ordered chairs like that for her son so that when he hosted Christmas dinners, they could all sit around like royalty.

So funny.

Opulence, he has it

00000006734.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

We need a good tennis game to release from a big developer. It’s been a while since an actual good tennis sim has been released. Tennis World Tour and AO tennis just doesn’t cut it

I've heard some good things about Tennis Elbow on Steam. Base gameplay is good + there are a lot of graphical improvement mods.

spacer.png

Edited by satyanash

On 4/8/2020 at 12:51 PM, satyanash said:

I've heard some good things about Tennis Elbow on Steam. Base gameplay is good + there are a lot of graphical improvement mods.

spacer.png

I kept my Xbox 360 for the sole purpose of playing Top Spin 4. Such a great game - wish we could get an updated version with the same gameplay & updated player rosters.

20 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

19 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Anyone who is anti-vax has fallen victim to pseudoscience and misinformation. Hopefully some real doctors will now educate him properly on the subject 

I have never been a fan of Djokovic and now I have reason to be. Viva Rafa!

On 4/17/2020 at 10:09 AM, perfectchaos007 said:

Not a good sign for the US open if tennis events after the USOpen are getting cancelled 

There won’t be a 2020 Tennis season. There probably won’t be an Australian Open in January of 2021. There might not be a March Indian Wells 2021.

it looked bad for the US Open about March 7th, 2020. 

If the ATP/WTA is waiting for a vaccine before resuming play then yeah...no tournaments until late 2021. I think they’ll wise up (due to impending financial hardship) and decide to play some tournaments without fans, and have the players and on court personnel tested regularly so at least they can get the TV contract money. I bet we’ll see that happening later this year. Hell I’ve seen some WTA tournaments with only a few people in the stands. 

Edited by perfectchaos007

On 4/20/2020 at 1:42 AM, perfectchaos007 said:

Anyone who is anti-vax has fallen victim to pseudoscience and misinformation. Hopefully some real doctors will now educate him properly on the subject 

21 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I have never been a fan of Djokovic and now I have reason to be. Viva Rafa!

He probably gets it from his wife Jelena, who apparently thinks coronavirus is spread by 5G technology (wtf??)

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

He probably gets it from his wife Jelena, who apparently thinks coronavirus is spread by 5G technology (wtf??)

I read your post and mistakenly thought he was married to Jelena Jankovic. Thank goodness that's not the case.

What kind of man allows himself to be misguided by his wife? Even more reason to hate Djokovic.