2020 ATP/WTA thread

ss13

• 2 weeks later...

This is fucking awesome, they’re playing a 4-man event at a private residence in W. Palm Beach now. 

The women’s field May 22-24 is pretty fucking sweet. 

• Alison Riske – 4th ranked American, WTA #19, UTR 13.19 (#14)
  • Amanda Anisimova – 5th ranked American, WTA #28, UTR 13.04 (#33)
  • Danielle Collins – 8th ranked American, WTA #51, UTR 13.07 (#28)
  • Ajla Tomljanović – 2nd ranked Australian, WTA #56, UTR 12.85 (#68)

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, Naomi. 

Tennis star Naomi Osaka has been a Grand Slam champion and No. 1 in the WTA rankings. Now she is No. 1 on another list: top-earning female athlete.

According to a story posted on Forbes.com on Friday, the 22-year-old player earned $37.4 million from June 1, 2019, to June 1, 2020, from endorsements and prize money, eclipsing Serena Williams ($36 million) in that span.

Forbes said Osaka's total is a one-year record for a female athlete, topping the previous mark of $29.7 million set by Maria Sharapova in 2015.

Osaka is No. 29 overall, with Williams at No. 33, on Forbes' annual list of the 100 top-earning athletes. The full list is set to be released next week.

Williams had led the way among women each of the past four years.

Osaka beat Williams in the 2018 US Open final and then added the 2019 Australian Open title, allowing her to become the first player from Asia to be No. 1 in the women's or men's tennis rankings.

She has won about $14.5 million in career prize money, according to the WTA, a little less than half of which was earned in 2019.

On 5/8/2020 at 8:08 PM, ss13 said:

The women’s field May 22-24 is pretty fucking sweet. 

• Alison Riske – 4th ranked American, WTA #19, UTR 13.19 (#14)
  • Amanda Anisimova – 5th ranked American, WTA #28, UTR 13.04 (#33)
  • Danielle Collins – 8th ranked American, WTA #51, UTR 13.07 (#28)
  • Ajla Tomljanović – 2nd ranked Australian, WTA #56, UTR 12.85 (#68)

Anisimova/Collins replay from earlier today on TC now. They don't even have ball kids, couldn't find a couple 'Rona-free 12-year olds to run around for awhile? 

Edited by ss13

4 minutes ago, ss13 said:

But they're both pretty easy on the eyes. 

That helps. Too bad there's no Alize Cornet v. Ana Ivanovic.  Now that would be a treat.  

And maybe Mattek-Sands.  She struck me as a dirty girl.  How's her knee?

Edited by Bullneck

1 minute ago, George Clooney said:

It's a damn shame that the most unlikable of the Big Three will probably have the most accolades in the end. Federer is probably my favorite athlete, but I'd be fine with Nadal eclipsing his Slams record. It seems like Djokovic fans are either just contrarians or Serbians.

I used to dislike Djoker but he's grown on me.  When he lost the Wimbledon final to Murray and said if he had to lose he was happy to make so many people happy I thought that was pretty cool.  Also:

4 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

It's a damn shame that the most unlikable of the Big Three will probably have the most accolades in the end. Federer is probably my favorite athlete, but I'd be fine with Nadal eclipsing his Slams record. It seems like Djokovic fans are either just contrarians or Serbians.

I remember when Nadal beat Djokovic at RG pretty early in Novak's career (a beatdown) in the press conference someone told Rafael that Novak thought he had a chance of winning.  Nadal was justifiably incredulous.  Then a few years went by . . .

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Watching the Re-Open now, Collins v. Tomljanovic.  Looks like Futures/Challenger level. 

Not that I'm complaining.  Nice to have something to watch other than Federer losing a Slam final.

Asimova went to the girls RG semis?  

800px-Anisimova_RG19_(32)_(48199400552).

Today should have been the start of the grass court season and the first morning that Roger Federer was not the all time slam leader since beating Roddick in the 2009 Wimbledon final.  Instead we are still waiting to see if another grand slam will be played at all this year.  From the sounds of it, it is 50/50 that the US Open happens.  

Dan Evans ain’t buying Novak’s concerns. 

World No. 1 Novak Djokovic has said participating in the US Open would be an impossible task due to the "extreme" coronavirus protocols in place for the tournament at Flushing Meadows, New York.

The US Open, scheduled to begin on Aug. 31, will be the first Grand Slam to be played after the COVID-19 pandemic led to the suspension of the season in March. The French Open was postponed to September and the Wimbledon championships was canceled.

The suspension of the tennis season was last extended until the end of July, but Djokovic, a three-time champion in New York, is not sure the tournament will go ahead.

"I had a telephone conversation with the leaders of world tennis. There were talks about the continuation of the season, mostly about the US Open due in late August, but it's not known whether it will be held," Djokovic told Serbia's Prva TV.

"The rules that they told us that we would have to respect to be there, to play at all, they are extreme. We would not have access to Manhattan, we would have to sleep in hotels at the airport, to be tested twice or three times per week.

"Also, we could bring one person to the club, which is really impossible. I mean, you need your coach, then a fitness trainer, then a physiotherapist."

The US Open has not publicly released any protocols.

Djokovic suggested economic factors were behind the push to play the tournament.

"They want the tournament to go ahead at any cost for economic reasons, which I understand," he said. "But the question is, how many players are willing to accept those terms?"

World No. 2 Rafael Nadal had also said he would not travel to the U.S. under the present circumstances.

Nadal has also questioned whether tennis can restart with the pandemic still gripping large parts of the world and unless every player is able to compete.

"For me, [it] is very difficult to separate the status that the world is living from my real perspective on the world of tennis, no?" Nadal said this week.

"We need to be responsible, we need to be sure that the situation is safe enough, and then of course try to come back to our tour when the things are clear."

Britain's Dan Evans has said Djokovic's concerns about players having only one member of their support staff at the U.S. Open does not apply to the majority of the field and compromises should be made when action resumes.

"I don't think having one person of your team only allowed is such a big deal -- the majority of the draw would only travel with one coach," Evans told the BBC on Monday.

"Not everyone's travelling with physios and fitness trainers like Novak said, so I think his argument there is not really valid for the rest of the draw, apart from the real top guys."

The U.S. leads the world in total cases, numbering over 1.9 million, and it has recorded more than 109,000 deaths due to the novel coronavirus.

Danielle ain’t feeling Novak either. 

No one has made the mistake of calling Danielle Collins bashful. In her short time on the WTA tour, the Floridian has become one of the most outspoken players both on and off the court. In her most recent Instagram post, the world No. 51 joined Dan Evans in expressing her displeasure for Novak Djokovic’s recent comments about the US Open’s “impossible” COVID-19 protocols. 

Collins believes Djokovic’s comments contradict his previous efforts to initiate a relief fund for players ranked outside the top 250. 

“No one has been able to play sanctioned events or make money since February,” Collins said. “This is a massive opportunity for players to start making money again, and here we have the top player in the world saying only being able to bring one person will be too difficult because he won’t be able to bring his entourage.”

With Roger Federer officially sidelined for the rest of the 2020 season, perhaps Collins is concerned that the US Open would not move forward as planned if the rest of the Big Three refuse to play. Rafael Nadal has also voiced his displeasure of playing in an empty stadium, stating “tennis and sports without the fans loses almost every single thing.”

One certainly can’t blame Collins for voicing her concerns. She knows never to underestimate the power global superstars wield in a union-less sport comprised entirely of players who act as independent contractors for the various tournaments. But perhaps it would be more effective if her energy was directed toward the tournament itself, given players are accustomed to setting their own event calendars.

“Some of the players are afraid that tournaments aren’t going to happen without the guarantees of the top players playing,” Lindsay Davenport said on Wednesday’s edition of Tennis Channel Live. “That's not how the sport should run, a Grand Slam should either go or it doesn’t go. It shouldn’t matter what players are saying two, three months ahead of time.”

“Have the event or don’t have it, but don’t have it based on the guest list,” Jon Wertheim added.

With all tour competition currently suspended through August 2, officials are expected to announce formal plans for the rest of the 2020 season early next week. 

Some interesting details. Will be weird to not see any Q on the draw sheets. 

Electronic line-calling will be used instead of line judges for U.S. Open matches at all courts except the two largest arenas and singles qualifying, mixed doubles, junior and wheelchair competition are being eliminated entirely.

There also will be three ball people instead of six at courts other than Arthur Ashe Stadium and Louis Armstrong Stadium.

Those are among the changes announced Wednesday by the U.S. Tennis Association as it outlined plans for running its Grand Slam tournament in New York City amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The tournament received the go-ahead from the New York state government Tuesday to be held in its usual location in Flushing Meadows, Queens, from Aug. 31 to Sept. 13 but without spectators. In an unusual arrangement, the tuneup tournament normally held in Cincinnati will be held right before that — but at the U.S. Open’s site.

——

Among the other changes: Men’s and women’s doubles will be reduced from 64 teams each to 32 and only players not in singles may enter.

With qualifying cut, each of the 128-player fields for men’s and women’s singles will include 120 players who get in via their ranking and eight who receive wild-card invitations.

Players will be allowed up to three guests and up to two rooms at a pair of designated hotels. One will be paid for by the USTA and one by the player. There also will be the option for players to rent a house outside of Manhattan.

The USTA has not decided exactly how many entourage members will be allowed on-site.

https://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2020/06/line-judges-no-need-atp-to-test-all-electronic-line-calls/69486/