2020 ATP/WTA thread

ss13

• 2 weeks later...

Watched some extended highlights between Sloane & Mugaru-th-a and Sloane can play some amazing points and then play kind of like crap. She is not locked in and her face looks like she's just going through the motions and occasionally gets a little annoyed and feels like winning some points and then goes back to going through the motions. It must be a weird time for her.

Another one bites the dust. 

The 2020 VTB Kremlin Cup in Moscow has been canceled due to issues relating to COVID-19.

Cancellation of the ATP 250 event, scheduled to run from Oct. 19-25, and the WTA Premier event, from Oct. 26 to Nov. 1, follows a recent increase in the COVID-19 infection rate in Moscow. 

As mandated by the Moscow City Administration, the event will no longer be permitted to go ahead in 2020. 

Edited by shadow_operative2.0

TC is bummin’ cause they get the French. 

Naomi Osaka will not play in the French Open, she announced Thursday night.

Osaka said a sore hamstring will keep her from adequately preparing for the clay court tournament, which begins Sept. 27 in Paris.

She is coming off a win this past weekend at the US Open but had been noncommittal about the French afterward.

17 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Garbine/Gauff playing 3 on TC. 

A replay was just on and Garbine was committing all kinds of unforced errors at the end of the 2nd and start of the 3rd.

Then, up 2-0, Coco completely lost her serve. She served 7 faults in a row, but managed to get her eighth in and won the point to go 15-40. Won the next, then lost and started to spiral. After those 3 double faults in a row, she lost 6 of the next 7 games (including the one with 3 double faults in a row).

Completely confidence evaporation.

7 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Vika double bagel’d Kenin. 😬 

I like Kenin, but I doubt that she ever gets back to a Grand Slam final. She'll probably have a few Slam Semis again in her career, but I just can't imagine her beating two of the top players in a row in a big tournament. Everything went perfectly for her in Melbourne.

I posted this on the tennis site... 

Damn, Marketa ate a breadstick.

And of course she promptly returns the favor. Which means the third is likely headed for a breaker.

Final... 

1-6, 6-1, 7-6(5) for Vondrousova

Women. 

Edited by shadow_operative2.0

Simona Halep was working her ass off (juicing?) during the lockdown. She looks like she could be a stunt double for the battle at the start of “Wonder Woman”

Italian Open: Simona Halep extends her perfect record in tennis' restart to 7-0

DF304D56-837C-43AA-BBC4-717D4C8C14D6.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon

Putintseva just quits after getting broken to go down 2-0 in the second set. 

She of full labios y culo and an amazing drop shot had supposedly “been receiving treatment in the previous rounds”. (She had already taken  a medical timeout in the first set.)

i think that she (Puti) is my favorite player to watch these day, but she’s out. Halep looked really good. She (Simona) will probably be the betting favorite in Paris. 

Halep could play Azarenka in the next round. 

Edited by Napoleon

Watching a replay of Sloane Stephens vs ???? Hibino and I don’t know if Sloane is hungover or donated blood right before the match, but she won’t even move for a ball that looks to be headed to 10 feet away from her. 

She just had 10th & 11th double faults to get broken for the 9th time in 11 service games. 

My guess is that her sponsors are requiring her to enter this tournaments, but she hasn’t even moved for the two returns in this latest game.

Because she’s American, the announcers aren’t criticizing her too much, but she is basically throwing the match. She should be investigated for possible betting connections. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There is Russian (who plays for Kazakhstan 🇰🇿), Alexander Bublik, who just spanked the Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime. 

The announcers kept talking about how Bublik is usually an unexplainable erratic player, but was super focused and didn’t do stupid shit for no reason whatsoever and was able to handle Felix in about 75 minutes. 

Sabalenka vs Svitolina

I was pulling for Svitolina, though I do appreciate a lot about Sabalenka.

Sabalenka is so much more powerful, but she is also mentally fragile.

Svitolina is patient, picks her spots to use power, and has a horrendous second serve.

I watched some of the match, but will leave it at that.

The singles final of the Strasbourg Open was supposed to start at 11am local time (4am CDT), but it still hasn't started due to a rain delay. The doubles final was supposed to follow that.

This is the current forecast at 4:37am CDT (11:37am in France).

I doubt that they get the singles final in today and there's almost no way that the doubles final happens. In Hamburg, there is a roof for their center court so the men can play without a problem, but no such contraption for the women in Strasbourg.

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 4.35.57 AM.png