Could You Move to a Small Town

MaybeACoordinator

Been spending the holidays at my in-laws in the sticks.

And ain't it a geographical oddity - 45 minutes away from everywhere!

If you need anything not offered at the 1 bakery and the 1 grocer and the 1 ice cream shop, it's 45 fucking minutes away.

I couldn't do that.  I'm in a sorta suburb now and k like that fine.

10 hours ago, MoJames said:

Anyone moved to the Durango area yet, my only Texas friend is moving back to Texas and I need someone to watch/yell at my TV with me next season.

I'm looking for a small town/rural area in Colorado. Might be outside my 60 minute distance to a Level 1 trauma center. What's your broadband like?

Moved from Dallas to Fairhope AL (along the gulf coast) on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay, 20 years ago. Born and raised in SoCal, 15 years in Dallas (4 in Austin of course). Work moved me here , met my wife here and never looked back. 

I get back to Dallas for work about every 60 days or so, but Overall I love the Mayberry feel. Quiet, no traffic, close to the beach, low cost of living, custom built house across from the bay, but I couldn’t /wouldn’t want to be another track home in Frisco.  Kids are plugged in , same issues as anywhere but overall not bad. 

Edited by jdhorn92

On 9/5/2019 at 5:40 PM, Errestaurants said:

The problem with small towns and dining options in my experience is that people typically don't want to pay the price for "good" food made from scratch other than Friday or Saturday nights. That's why they are dominated with DQs, Subways, Pizza hut, or the local family owned Mexican joint. They want chicken fried steak and 2 sides for $8. Hard to make a go at it when its slow monday-thursday and the labor aspect of the restaurant business in small towns is tough. I'm not saying there are not successful mom and pop restaurants in small town America but there is typically something else going that supports the business. Take Mary's in Strawn very successful with the locals but also big destination for hunters who are passing through. 

I'm in Kemp, TX (population 1,200) and we have a Sonic, Subway, Local BBQ joint (most of their business is catering around the lake area) and a Mennonite sandwich place that does well because it's tourist driven and low labor costs--all family of course.  We go over to Gun Barrel ( pop 5,800) for services and its all the fast food chains, cheap Tex Mex and Italian places locally owned. The one place that is kinda nice is the Brewery in Seven Points. they do well but its mostly tourist driven ( Dallas people with second homes on the lake and motorcycle groups stopping in) they also have their primary business of selling beer regionally. 

Even if you’re lucky and live in a small town with a few good to great restaurants, you get bored with the menu pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I'm looking for a small town/rural area in Colorado. Might be outside my 60 minute distance to a Level 1 trauma center. What's your broadband like?

Trash, but I live up on top of a mountain. Not bad in town, but nothing mind blowing.

1 hour ago, HornPhD said:

Even if you’re lucky and live in a small town with a few good to great restaurants, you get bored with the menu pretty quickly. 

That's one of the biggest advantages of a tourist destination like Santa Fe, NM - good to great restaurants are in abundance. All very geared toward wealthy, old white folks, though. We just got our first ramen shop though so things have improved. 

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah when I think small town, I think Santa Fe. 

Raleigh, Durango and other cities have appeared in this thread, but bitch all you want. Moved here from Austin. Population is less than one-tenth the size just within the city limits. And if you choose to live 20 minutes out of town in any direction, it's completely rural.

Edited by Chopper

4 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Raleigh, Durango and other cities have appeared in this thread, but bitch all you want. Moved here from Austin. Population is less than one-tenth the size just within the city limits. And if you choose to live 20 minutes out of town, it's completely rural.

Durango has a population less than 20,000 and is very isolated. I think qualifies.

Santa Fe had a population of 84,612 in 2018. It is the principal city of a Metropolitan Statistical Area which encompasses all of Santa Fe County, and is part of the larger Albuquerque–Santa Fe–Las Vegas combined statistical area which features a population of 1,178,664 as of the 2018 Census Bureau estimate. 

Santa Fe does not.

• Like 2

Albuquerque is an hour away and there's almost nothing but dirt in between here and there. With your logic, should we agree Durango is a suburb of Farmington, population 50k and an hour away? We can agree Durango is more isolated, but I don't think that's in the definition of small town. The acceptable or desirable size of a city or town is going to be relative for everyone. Durango is a nice place - no argument from me. I wish I could've talked my wife into CO before we moved here. But I would've looked around Fort Collins or Evergreen first.

Edited by Chopper

19 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Albuquerque is an hour away and there's almost nothing but dirt in between here and there. With your logic, should we agree Durango is a suburb of Farmington, population 50k and an hour away? We can agree Durango is more isolated, but I don't think that's in the definition of small town. The acceptable or desirable size of a city or town is going to be relative for everyone. Durango is a nice place - no argument from me. I wish I could've talked my wife into CO before we moved here. But I would've looked around Fort Collins or Evergreen first.

It’s not my logic. Metropolitan Statistical Areas are a federal designation set by the OMB and is defined by the economic and social connections between areas. And besides, in its own right, a city of 85,000 in its own right is not a small town.

31 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It’s not my logic. Metropolitan Statistical Areas are a federal designation set by the OMB and is defined by the economic and social connections between areas. And besides, in its own right, a city of 85,000 in its own right is not a small town.

Good lord you are dense. What in the actual fuck does MSA have to do with anything? Where does it appear in the definition of "Small town?" As I said, small town is a subjective term. It has nothing to do with being remote, or MSAs, or whether a location is within an hour drive to abq. And there's certainly no rule that small town < 25,000. THAT is your subjective definition. Some people would say a small town is no bigger than 1,000 people. But if you're moving from a large city like HOU or ATX, even 100,000 is like a small town. Thus the mentions in this thread of Ashville (pop 92k) and distant suburbs in the DFW area, as well.

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Good lord you are dense. What in the actual fuck does MSA have to do with anything? Where does it appear in the definition of "Small town?" As I said, small town is a subjective term. It has nothing to do with being remote, or MSAs, or whether a location is within an hour drive to abq. And there's certainly no rule that small town < 25,000. THAT is your subjective definition. Some people would say a small town is no bigger than 1,000 people. But if you're moving from a large city like HOU or ATX, even 100,000 is like a small town. Thus the mentions in this thread of Ashville (pop 92k) and distant suburbs in the DFW area, as well.

Re-read the OP. No one in their right mind would call Santa fucking Fe a “small town” and I’m not the only one who’s already pointed that out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Iceman said:

some a y'all have no fucking idea what a small town is...

I grew up on a farm in the country between two towns.  The bigger one, which was actually incorporated (formal city government) and had a post office had a population of 140, and 2 bars.  The smaller one, which wasn't incorporated, had a population of 20-25, depending on where you drew the line for what constituted living in that town (as it had no formal city limits).  2 hours to the Twin Cities, 2 hours to Des Moines.

I've driven through butt fuck Texas, and I'd imagine there's folks in here who can beat that, but I'm pretty sure I know a small town and any quasi-suburb of Dallas ain't it.

Santa Fe is also not it either.  Jesus.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

A small town has to be under 10K and 1+ hour from a city. Otherwise it’s just a suburb or exburb. If you have to plan “going to town” to buy something you can’t get locally because it’s a decent drive, it probably qualifies. If you can just run over to the city to buy your meth on your way home, it probably doesn’t. Definition of city is fuzzy.

• Like 2

Good lord you are dense. What in the actual fuck does MSA have to do with anything? Where does it appear in the definition of "Small town?" As I said, small town is a subjective term. It has nothing to do with being remote, or MSAs, or whether a location is within an hour drive to abq. And there's certainly no rule that small town

Just because you’re moving from a large city to somewhere with less population doesn’t make it a small town. Smaller than where you were, but not small.

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

I used to live in a small town (Alpine, TX).

Restaurants sucked, grocery stores sucked (fuck you and your green meat Baeza's), gas was expensive, but the nights?

Well, they were kinda nice...

81557781_10219755339006946_1987518943975

I saw Eric Johnson play a gig in Alpine, was great.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chopper said:

Hahahahaha Durango a suburb of F-town? Hahahaha

21 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When you start talking about a "town" of less than 300, it's a much different world than even a town of 3000. Usually the 3000 town will have a couple of restaurants and a grocery store. 300 might be lucky to have a gas station.

Absolutely true.  It's definitely part of why I'm pretty content with a town of 4000.  Compared to what I grew up with, the level of services is available is off the charts.  We were 25 minutes from a town this size growing up.

15 hours ago, Chopper said:

Raleigh, Durango and other cities have appeared in this thread, but bitch all you want. Moved here from Austin. Population is less than one-tenth the size just within the city limits. And if you choose to live 20 minutes out of town in any direction, it's completely rural.

Just got back from a week there.  Great town.  Skiing was pretty damn decent too.

Played baseball in Farmington a lot. It sucks
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

51 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

My grandma lived in Aztec. It really sucked.

It's getting even worse with most Oil and Gas Companies moving out of town. Gonna be interesting what is left down there in about 10 years. Only decent thing about that area is Pinon Hills Golf Course, it's not great, but a fun public course.

7 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

A small town has to be under 10K and 1+ hour from a city. Otherwise it’s just a suburb or exburb. If you have to plan “going to town” to buy something you can’t get locally because it’s a decent drive, it probably qualifies. If you can just run over to the city to buy your meth on your way home, it probably doesn’t. Definition of city is fuzzy.

it had nothing and not really a city but it was 15 minutes from Nacogdoches, which isn't that big either

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appleby,_Texas

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
3 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

So did i. And you've got that right. Same for Pueblo, but Runyon Field was fun.

I know this is slightly heretical, but I kind of like Pueblo (and Greeley) despite them being shit on by most of the rest of Colorado. Pueblo has an actual vibrant Hispanic community that Denver isolates as well as easy access to the Sangre de Cristos / easier access to the San Juans, and Greeley has the best brewery in Colorado.

Anyways, went back to the in-law's farm in Central Texas after living in downtown Denver. It's very crazy the difference in life and how things out in the country definitely move much slower. Quite the contrast.