Mike Rhyner leaves The Ticket

luke duke

I appreciate good sports talk, but I'm from Houston, so I don't know this guy. Are there any good bits on youtube worth listening to? 

It’s hard to explain but it’s an amazing story of an underdog station creating amazing radio for 25 years. They revolutionized sports radio nationwide, and he was the guy with the original vision - create a sports talk radio station that doesn’t always talk sports radio. They built an amazing massive following over the years.
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s hard to explain but it’s an amazing story of an underdog station creating amazing radio for 25 years. They revolutionized sports radio nationwide, and he was the guy with the original vision - create a sports talk radio station that doesn’t always talk sports radio. They built an amazing massive following over the years.

So he's responsible for Covino & Rich?

40 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So he's the one who ruined sports radio?

• Like 2

I'm with Troy Aikman-the old grey wolf will be missed.  Having listened to Dallas rock stations KZEW and KTXQ, the names Rhyner and Redbeard were synonymous with greatness.  When KTCK became a reality, no one could have ever guessed that 25 years later, it would rule the ratings in DFW drive or have a nationwide following thanks to streaming.  There will never be another Mike Rhyner and I will miss his input with the Hardline during afternoon drive.

I loved Rhyner. From his days at the Zew and the ticket. 60 more minutes of the hardline. 60 more minutes of the hardline.

However his take that he hoped Ricky Williams would blow out his knee his senior year did not go over well with me.

42 minutes ago, pch said:

I'm with Troy Aikman-the old grey wolf will be missed.  Having listened to Dallas rock stations KZEW and KTXQ, the names Rhyner and Redbeard were synonymous with greatness.  When KTCK became a reality, no one could have ever guessed that 25 years later, it would rule the ratings in DFW drive or have a nationwide following thanks to streaming.  There will never be another Mike Rhyner and I will miss his input with the Hardline during afternoon drive.

LaBella & Rhody >>>>>>>>>>>> Redbeard

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Didn't someone on TOS explain once that all the OG KTCK guys were multimillionaires?

Good on him that he can take it easy while he is healthy.

Well maybe not expo fox. They had some issues with on air talent between the musers and hard line for a while, until bob and dan arrived. Rocko pendola and his obsession with beltline Rd. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Maybe not, but I couldn’t possibly give less of a fuck about what the “host” and his wife did or didn’t do over the weekend. That’s what we get in Houston in most of the “sports” shows. The only exception is pretty much Charlie Pallilo who is a Houston institution.

• Like 1

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I was a street urchin intern at Belo. I worked for the AM station traffic reporter in an electrical closet directly across the hall from Studio G. Got to hang out in there a few times. I met all the KZEW air staff including Rhyner. I'm sure they gave 2 shits about me, but I feel a long distance connection to OGW. I am a Day 1 P1 solely because of Rhynes. He did not disappoint. /csb

Enjoy your retirement Michael, you've earned it. 

Rhyner took The Morning Zoo concept and moved it to sports talk. Season that with some guy talk, entertainment news, community quick hits and the ever so important comedy and you have The Hardline. The chemistry Rhyner and Greggo had really was lightning in a bottle. Those remotes from the Byron Nelson party pavilion were magical. Unfortunately, Greggo moved on to other chemistry and cursed us with Corby.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 2

Maybe not, but I couldn’t possibly give less of a fuck about what the “host” and his wife did or didn’t do over the weekend. That’s what we get in Houston in most of the “sports” shows. The only exception is pretty much Charlie Pallilo who is a Houston institution.

You are conveying your experiences with shitty radio hosts at other shitty radio stations. The Ticket has won multiple Marconi Radio awards and was different than all of the other hack stations you reference. That’s the point. You’re criticizing something you’ve never experienced yourself and have no knowledge of whatsoever. I will say that recently the station has lost its magic. It’s tough to keep on top with fresh content for more than 25 years.

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I loved Rhyner. From his days at the Zew and the ticket. 60 more minutes of the hardline. 60 more minutes of the hardline.

However his take that he hoped Ricky Williams would blow out his knee his senior year did not go over well with me.

Never heard him or the show but sounds like they had a pretty loyal fan base. So what is the story behind the Ricky deal? Cause that's really fucked up

Edited by Dennis Taylor

1 hour ago, NoRagrets said:

Rhyner was the only reason I would listen to the ticket. Hated all of those OU sycophants on that channel.

THIS.  Corby is an unbearable little OU cunt that went to TCU.  Danny, well lets say the best friend of my wife dated him off/on for years and I know first hand what a little twat he is.  

Their "schtick" of being a talk radio show and NOT talking sports wore me thin.  There were times on Tuesday I'd tune in for college football talk, or Norm and his draft talk, but not much else.  

9 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Oh yeah The Ticket ruined radio because we need to do an hour's worth of segments every day breaking down the Cowboys scout team third string linebacker situation. 

In Houston’s it’s breaking for the 3rd strong LT and it’s brutal 

2 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Rhyner was the only reason I would listen to the ticket. Hated all of those OU sycophants on that channel.

When I lived in Dallas, this was the reason I stopped listening to them. I moved away in 2006. Recently started a new job which took me to DFW area and would sometimes listen to them. I was first surprised that nothing really changed as far as content and format. It was nice not hearing Greggo, whenever the fuck he left. Corby seemed to be the predominant voice. I could only handle his voice and shit in small doses back then and it was still the case last year. Rhyner never really said much which got me thinking that he was checked out. He was only on air because he had nothing better to do was my impression so I'm not surprised by this announcement. From listening to him the few times I did, he left long ago.

They need new younger talent. Those, mostly, same hosts are burned out.