IKEA to pay $46M to family of toddler killed by tipped dresser

MrBig

That's some monkey's paw shit right there. Get an amount of money you could never dream of, only it costs you your child. It has to be the most hollow feeling. I don't know if I could ever allow myself to ever have a moment wher I could enjoy being so rich.

• Like 2

There was a netflix documentary about this issue with IKEA and supposedly they knew about the tipping hazards. Instead of abiding my the 50lb mandated tipping rule they provided some bolts and anchors and passed the burden to the buyer. At last check they still refuse to abide by the international 50lb standard like most manufacturers.

• Like 1

Any law hawks know how we could get more info from discovery?  I assume with a judgement that large there must be some pretty damning info out there.  

I wonder how the poor boy was alone long enough for that to happen, or if he hopped out of a bed at night.  We didn’t start the move from a fully enclosed crib until 3 with both of my kids, the age they started hopping out on their own...but my kids are both very tall for their age. When awake, my kids at 2 were constantly supervised...they were constantly trying to hurt themselves.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hellraiser97 said:

I bolted both my kids dressers (one IKEA, one not) to the wall when we got those things.  They were both obviously unstable.  Of course, I'm fucking paranoid about everything a responsible human being.

• Like 1

I thought every ikea dresser came with the hardware to connect it to the wall.  Without a doubt I know my spare bedroom dresser from 2006 had one.  I threw it away. But obviously they didn’t with all or there was a problem with some of the hardware.

still 46m? But in the grand scheme of things, ikea is/could be hurt more by the bad publicity and not the 46m.

I learned the hard way that all dressers should be bolted and secured about ten years ago.

We had a new short 3 drawer dresser delivered from Pottery Barn for one of the kid’s rooms.  

Our daughter and one of our sons, 3 & 6 at the time, pulled all the drawers out and tried to use the drawers as a ladder.  

The dresser toppled over and trapped both kids while I was downstairs.   When they started screaming bloody murder, I ran upstairs to find both kids pinned.  Luckily, neither kid was injured.   

We had every dresser in the house bolted to the wall the next day.

10 hours ago, Hellraiser97 said:

I bolted both my kids dressers (one IKEA, one not) to the wall when we got those things.  They were both obviously unstable.  Of course, I'm fucking paranoid about everything

The kids or the dresser were unstable? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mappable said:

I learned the hard way that all dressers should be bolted and secured about ten years ago.

We had a new short 3 drawer dresser delivered from Pottery Barn for one of the kid’s rooms.  

Our daughter and one of our sons, 3 & 6 at the time, pulled all the drawers out and tried to use the drawers as a ladder.  

The dresser toppled over and trapped both kids while I was downstairs.   When they started screaming bloody murder, I ran upstairs to find both kids pinned.  Luckily, neither kid was injured.   

We had every dresser in the house bolted to the wall the next day.

This.  Kids will climb on dressers.  My daughter climbed her's once and it came crashing down.  Luckily, the foot board of her bed stopped the dresser from falling on top of her.

12 hours ago, Sandman said:

That's some monkey's paw shit right there. Get an amount of money you could never dream of, only it costs you your child. It has to be the most hollow feeling. I don't know if I could ever allow myself to ever have a moment wher I could enjoy being so rich.

True.  And filing suit means you get to relive it at least a couple of times, plus get raked over the coals for any aspects of your own stupidity that may have contributed to it.

One remarkable thing is that they SETTLED for that amount. And there are also multiple other suits pending or possible.  Crazy.  They must be making a shitpile of money on that dresser.

There was a netflix documentary about this issue with IKEA and supposedly they knew about the tipping hazards. Instead of abiding my the 50lb mandated tipping rule they provided some bolts and anchors and passed the burden to the buyer. At last check they still refuse to abide by the international 50lb standard like most manufacturers.

The 50 lb standard was not a mandate but voluntary. They had been selling the dressers for ages overseas without reported incident. That’s why their 2016 recall was only North America. I think later China and maybe Australia said “Hey! We want one too.”

Not sure but I don’t think any of the incidents occurred with units that were properly secured per assembly instructions.

They re designed all dressers to meet the 50lb standard after the recall.

Not sure how many dressers were returned in US but people would buy them off Craigslist etc and return them for full credit, sometimes bringing in 6 or more on flat bed trailers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plenty of recalls for tipping hazards but not as big as IKEA with probably around 30m recalled.

One million dressers sold exclusively at Kmart recalled over tipping, entrapment hazard.

Home Meridian Recalls Three-Drawer Chests Due to Tip-Over and Entrapment Hazards

Child Injury Sparks Recall of 1.6M Dressers Sold in Walmart Stores

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Helig skit!

How many kids were killed or seriously injured by old CRT televisions? I mean a flat screen falls on your kid now and it's not too bad given how light they've become. Those old tube TVs were easily 60 pounds. The wife made me anchor everything when she hit the nesting phase for baby 1. 

13 hours ago, Hellraiser97 said:

I bolted both my kids dressers (one IKEA, one not) to the wall when we got those things.  They were both obviously unstable.  Of course, I'm fucking paranoid about everything

Yep.  We did the same, although not IKEA dressers.  

15 hours ago, Sandman said:

46 million dollars buys you a whole bunch of new kids. You can even get white ones. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

No appeal?

As noted, it's a settlement.  Either the parents had proof that the deceased was a future Nobel Laureate or there's some punitives built into the settlement.  Unusual, particularly with the other unliquidated liability.

I guess it's better than establishing a precedent.