2020 Sportscar Racing & Other Motorsport

wood

With this news and Dakar happening, time for a new thread, I guess. 

Bathurst 12H Organisers move to ease bushfire concerns https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/01/06/organisers-move-to-ease-b12hr-bushfire-concerns/ 

VIDEO: Dakar Stage 1 highlights https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/01/06/video-dakar-stage-1-highlights/

Dakar 2020, Day 2 ... Video: Alonso and Dakar co-driver Coma repair damaged Toyota https://motorsport.tv/embed/A1eQn3cS-dakar-2020-day-2-highlights-cars-and-ssv

Dakar 2020, Stage 3: Sainz takes the lead https://www.motorsport.com/dakar/news/dakar-2020-sainz-xraid-alonso/4634473/

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 2:33 PM, Bill Brasky said:

World of Outlaws coming to Cotton Bowl Speedway in March 

Nice. Hopefully I can make it out there this time. 

ETA: Just checked the date. Friday the 13th, first night of Spring Break. Looking good. Now if it'll just stay dry that weekend, unlike last year.

Edited by wood

Got my tickets ... top row in the aisle, so ... legroom.

10 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

like one of the comments in video said....it is one of the few videos out there that do 410 sprint car racing justice 

Yeah that's as hooked up as I've ever seen any sprint car.

Supposedly this morning at Daytona there will be an announcement that sort of unifies IMSA DPi regulations and FIA/ACO Hypercar regulations, which allow teams/cars race in each other's formulas. 

So Toyota could race Daytona 24 and the 12 at Sebring and Cadillac can race LeMans

Seems like that would be pretty cool. Both IMSA and WEC could use more top teams competing in their top divisions on occasion. 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 8:57 AM, wood said:

Holy shit Kyle Larson ...

I've been around dirt track racing for 25 years and have had some good friends beat the World of Outlaws up here at Lernerville Speedway and over at Sharon Speedway in Ohio. One night up at Lernerville, back when we had the twin features for the WoO, Larson had one of the best drives I have ever seen. He started last due to the inversion and made it to second at the checker. Given a couple more laps he may have gotten the victory. It was a great night. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Supposedly this morning at Daytona there will be an announcement that sort of unifies IMSA DPi regulations and FIA/ACO Hypercar regulations, which allow teams/cars race in each other's formulas. 

So Toyota could race Daytona 24 and the 12 at Sebring and Cadillac can race LeMans

Seems like that would be pretty cool. Both IMSA and WEC could use more top teams competing in their top divisions on occasion. 

sounds like you can run your DPi 2.0 car in the hypercar class:

The chance for automotive manufacturers to compete with the same car at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Rolex 24 At Daytona, at SuperSebring or at Spa-Francorchamps, at the Motul Petit Le Mans or even Silverstone, will soon become a reality.

The ACO and IMSA have together established the basis for joint regulations to govern the new LMDh category.  The objective is that, from September 2021 in the FIA WEC and from January 2022 in the WeatherTech Championship, manufacturers will be able to enter the top category and compete in the two leading championships in endurance racing with this new model of car, LMDh.

The two sanctioning bodies were inspired by elements from each of their respective regulations, namely from the ACO’s Le Mans Hypercar and those in preparation by IMSA for the DPi 2.0.

The result of this convergence, the LMDh car will be:

• Based on a new chassis common to both ACO and IMSA, using elements of the Le Mans Hypercar and LMP2 chassis, and built by the four current LMP2 manufacturers: Dallara, Ligier, Multimatic and Oreca.  This chassis will also be used for the new generation LMP2.
  • The car will use a common hybrid KERS system, on the rear axle.
  • Its silhouette and design will be modifiable, developed according to the brand or style of the manufacturer which will provide the engine power for the car

More technical details for the car will be revealed in March at SuperSebring, in a presentation from the ACO and IMSA Technical Departments.

In the future the top category of endurance racing will include both LMDh and Le Mans Hypercar.  A balance of performance system will ensure fair competition. 

https://www.imsa.com/news/012020/aco-and-imsa-forge-future-endurance-racing

9 hours ago, wood said:

Rally Monte Carlo ... holy schnikes.

In-car video here:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a30653065/ott-tanak-crash-2020-rally-monte-carlo

~~~~~

So tomorrow (and Sunday) is the big day! Looking forward to some racecars again. 

Channel info: http://www.tvracer.com

Spotter's Guide: http://www.spotterguides.com/portfolio/20_imsa/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

These Porsches are so pudgy looking.  Plump. From the front, they almost look like a bloated 993.

As a huge Porsche fan, I was thinking the same thing.  

Also, under-impressed with the new vette. I expected more with the mid engine

Yeah it's bad. The Mazda couple that starts a restaurant by driving their car is pretty bad. The Mercedes commercial with the douchebag dad is bad, but at least the wife is pretty. 

I wish if NBC is going to torture us with 5000 commercials they would use more than 6 different commercials to run. 

• Like 1

Kobayashi is always a cowboy. It's part of his charm. 

The song in the Mazda commercial is so insipid that I also hate it, but on the rare occasions I actually mute the TV, it's tolerable. 

And I can't get past what an obvious hazard the WeatherTech CupPhone is - who the fuck wants to look at their cup holder for navigation and directions?

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

Another minor gripe about NBC's coverage is that there is no ticker at the top of the screen - just this incomplete Top 5 x4 display on the left. 

I have no idea which cars have been retired, or who is many laps down but still out there, etc. It's not like 38 entries is too much to manage or something. 

I blame Leigh Diffey. 

I don't know if they think they're fooling people who don't know any better into thinking that the race is closer than it really is or what, but it's like they don't want you to have a full understanding of what is happening.

Or, more likely, those greedy, monetizing fucks are just trying to force a "two screen" experience and make everyone use their apps or some shit. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

I think they are just afraid if someone is channel surfing they won't stop and watch if it looks like the race is already decided. 

Which is stupid because nobody just channel surfs anymore anyway and they should be targeting the broadcast to actual race fans that want the info. 

Yeah, and no casual viewer is going to click past and be like, "oh, a 24 hour event I wasn't already planning on watching - sign me up!" 

And if that was their motivation, then maybe consider keeping it on the same channel instead of requiring people to keep up with it and make some dumb change every 2-6 hours.