2020 Sportscar Racing & Other Motorsport

wood

• 3 weeks later...

LMDh sounds like a much cheaper way to get to the overall podium than hypercar.  hypercar is supposed to be slower than an LMP1 hybrid, in part to make them cheaper than LMP1 hybrids.  but then you've got this new option that's likely even cheaper (though not leveraging much in the way of a road-going car), and probably not much slower (if any).  as 24 hour racing in particular is as much about reliability as being fast out on track, would you want to enter your expensive hypercar against a WTR cadillac LMDh? 

at the same time, this might just be aston martin refocusing its limited resources on supporting the F1 team that just bought it while scapegoating LMDh. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

LMDh sounds like a much cheaper way to get to the overall podium than hypercar.  hypercar is supposed to be slower than an LMP1 hybrid, in part to make them cheaper than LMP1 hybrids.  but then you've got this new option that's likely even cheaper (though not leveraging much in the way of a road-going car), and probably not much slower (if any).  as 24 hour racing in particular is as much about reliability as being fast out on track, would you want to enter your expensive hypercar against a WTR cadillac LMDh? 

at the same time, this might just be aston martin refocusing its limited resources on supporting the F1 team that just bought it while scapegoating LMDh. 

Good points, and yeah, I was wondering too how this might be tied to their recent F1 developments, and the lingering rumor that they & Stroll want to take over the Merc team as well....

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Anyone else out here?
2ab6bac7beb68fa2d880c368515bd68d.jpg

I believe that @Jim Krivacs is.

Man, WEC sure does a shitful job at publicizing how to watch things. 

After five minutes of fruitless searching (and all manner of super helpful results for how to watch various races over the past five years) I finally discovered that it's allegedly being shown in its entirety on the Motor Trend channel - on Dish, that's 246. My guide says otherwise, so I guess I will prepare myself for annoyance in an hour... 

• Like 1

Surprise, surprise. 
Motor Trend cut away after an hour of the race to show a Very Important rerun of Junkyard Bargain Bullshit. 
Pay no attention to the fact that the WEC site clearly said that it would air the race in its entirety. 
20200223_130505.thumb.jpg.d3c13f8855095b0cf8a6758f952c5f75.jpg
Yeah, that pissed me off.

Welp, I fucked up. I turned down a trip to Florida to help install some equipment for one of our clients. Turns out that the plant backs up to Sebring Raceway and practice for the season opening Trans-Am race is going on right now. Our tech can see quite a bit of the track from the back lot of the factory. Of course, he has no appreciation for any of it. All I knew about the factory was that it was in FL. I had no idea the mailing address was Sebring. That might have caught my attention.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

CBS Sports is airing some vaguely interesting ice racing (cars and motorcycles) right now and for the next several hours. 

Not sure how much long-term appeal it will have, but it's something to amuse you for a few minutes. 

This sounds like early ESPN programming before they had any major American sports. 

They had 24 hours a day to kill and introduced the American masses to motorcycle racing on ice with massive spikes (nails?) coming out of the tires and Aussie Rules Football. 

In Argentina during the off-season from soccer, when there wasn’t a June/July tournament, they would show matches from years past condensed into a 30 minute time slot WITH commercials... and live Women’s Field Hockey (“Las Leonas”).

• 2 weeks later...

More e-racing of various types and formats this weekend, and continuing through next week with some weeknight NASCAR. 

Today has The Race (YouTube channel) starting right now, then IndyCar on NBC Sports this afternoon (1:30 Central) and some NASCAR tonight. 

Just posting all this stuff here rather than sorting into multiple other threads... 

Editing to add Tweet with the Legends lineup starting now. 

IMG_20200402_103351.jpg

IMG_20200403_215120.jpg

IMG_20200403_215400.jpg

IMG_20200403_215415.jpg

Screenshot_20200404-102416_Twitter.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

Can't recommend strongly enough the World of Outlaws iRacing. Extraordinariy realistic, complete with a changing track, with a cushion developing as the night progresses, etc. Fantastic racing, too, just like in real life ...

Amazing. Looks like you're watching the real thing.

• Like 1

Help me out here.  Being serious and not surly.  What is with this Iracing craze?  I used it to learn tracks and had set up with a seat, shifter, pedals etc and, while it did it’s purpose, it didn’t feel that realistic.   Did something change?

Rfactor 2 probably has the most realism, and is what most racing team simulators are based on, but iRacing has by far the best online experience and it’s very easy to stream.

Also, the people that are in it are still extremely skilled, so racing against those people is still extremely competitive, which makes for good entertainment in this era of no real racing that we find ourselves in.

13 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Help me out here.  Being serious and not surly.  What is with this Iracing craze?  I used it to learn tracks and had set up with a seat, shifter, pedals etc and, while it did it’s purpose, it didn’t feel that realistic.   Did something change?

did you have a force feedback wheel?   that makes all the difference in the world for me 

• 2 weeks later...

IndyCar is "at" CotA today. 1:30 Central. 

Of all the various iRacing formats, IndyCar is the best racing product that I've seen through all this. Everyone takes it seriously enough, the races are long enough to actually feel like a short race, and it's got professional production quality (opinions may differ about Diffey, PT, etc...). Doesn't seem to suffer from the same uncertainty as the NASCAR stuff on Sundays (i.e., is this supposed to be fun or serious? What is Bowyer doing? Should drivers use the n-word? Etc.) or cultural irrelevance (dozens of European sim racers you've never heard of, competing for a prize you don't care about) of the The Race stuff. 

But the Legends portion of what The Race offers is a lot of fun. The old guys are pretty good, and they're all having just the right amount of fun with it all. Emmanuele Pirro seems fond of having a beer while racing. It's starting on ESPN2 momentarily - see schedule below. 

20200425_104141.jpg

IMG_20200425_103540.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

Lando Norris from F1 is also running the virtual Indy race today in one of the McLaren cars, and he has been putting in great times and leading sessions in the practice races this week leading up to it.

Scott McLaughlin from Aussie V8s has been running very competively as well in addition to the guys with tons of iRacing hours like Karam and Rosenqvist.

I like to watch the broadcast feed on one screen and McLaughlin on his Twitch stream. You can hear some of the drivers talk through the game with each other, like Will Power calling everyone a wanker and then other drivers laughing 

Lando, McLaughlin, Power, Karam are all very experienced in iRacing from before all this quarantine stuff so they know the tricks of the game and usually perform well. Some of the usual big IndyCar names are new to the game and struggle a bit.

Edited by Hawndoh

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know nothing about video games. I sucked at them as a kid. The only video game we had as kids was Pong - with Hockey, Tennis and Handball. That was on a black & white Zenith 13".

I remember years back when I wrote a story about the first video game that was officially licensed with the World of Outlaws. The primary track I covered, Lernerville Speedway, was included. It was a relevation to me because all during junior high when we'd walk to the two video arcades in our town I basically just threw away my quarters.

I turned on the 24-Hours of Le Mans this morning and I am gobsmacked. This is so cool. I've watched some sim-racing before and I really thought the detail was just so cool.

But this is otherworldly. Truly amazing.

In other news, I scream out the front door, "get off my lawn!".

Verstappen had some sort of game engine issue as well, so that car was also retired then allowed back in.

The random bugs are undoubtedly annoying, it seems like it gives a little bit of authenticity to the game where reliability is basically 100% in terms of the cars. I don't think they've modeled a strut tower breaking because you've ridden the curbs too hard.