2020 Sportscar Racing & Other Motorsport

wood

Yep ... 

UPDATE: June 21, 7:30am ET: Alex Zanardi remains in stable but serious condition at the Santa Maria alle Scotte hospital in Siena, Italy, following his accident during a handbike race on Friday which left the racing legend with major head injuries. Zanardi remains in a medically induced coma following his surgery on Friday night, and doctors are unable yet to make predictions about how fully or quickly the 53-year-old Italian may recover from his injuries.

“The patient spent the night in conditions of cardio-respiratory and metabolic stability. Organ functions are adequate,” the hospital announced in a statement Sunday morning, adding that Zanardi continues to be “sedated, intubated and mechanically ventilated.

“The ongoing neuromonitoring has shown some stability but this data must be taken with caution because the neurological picture remains serious,” the hospital statement concluded. “The current conditions of general stability still do not allow to exclude the possibility of adverse events and, therefore, the patient remains in a reserved prognosis.”

racer.com/2020/06/19/zanardi-out-of-surgery-condition-very-serious/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 3:36 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

https://www.fiawec.com/en/race/result/4643

Countdown clock for LeMans is in effect, well, it's getting close enough to start thinking about.

https://www.fiawec.com/en/race/show/4643

Roster for the race.

Flipped through the entry list, and it feels like there are fewer recognizable/familiar names this year. 

But Doomlet will be pleased to learn that Augusto Farfus is entered. He latched onto Farfus the first time he heard the name at one of the past LeMans broadcasts and has embraced him ever since. 

We made a spotters guide for all of his toy IndyCars as a way to pass the time a while ago, and Farfus has been assigned a seat in one of the generic Hot Wheels cars. 

20200911_135755.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Just a reminder that the 24 Hours of Le Mans is this weekend. Coverage starts at 6:30am Central tomorrow and ends at 8am Sunday. Start & finish is at 7:30.

It's on the MotorTrend channel (previously Velocity) and app. 

Blackmore's spotter's guide:

https://spotterguides.com/portfolio/20_lm/

https://live.24h-lemans.com/fr/live

Greatest race in the world. It is on my list of places I need to attend.

I'm not sure either. It's unclear whether the app allows free streaming or only for people who are already getting the MotorTrend channel through their TV provider. 

If it isn't free, then I think you have to pay for some sort of subscription, and I've seen conflicting reports on whether you can do the whole "sign up and then cancel while still in the free trial period" move. 

This is a perfect example of why I'm personally unwilling to cut the cord yet - just too much piecemeal bullshit to figure out...

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I'm not sure either. It's unclear whether the app allows free streaming or only for people who are already getting the MotorTrend channel through their TV provider. 

If it isn't free, then I think you have to pay for some sort of subscription, and I've seen conflicting reports on whether you can do the whole "sign up and then cancel while still in the free trial period" move. 

This is a perfect example of why I'm personally unwilling to cut the cord yet - just too much piecemeal bullshit to figure out...

Yeah that's where I am, and from what I can tell, I'd save a little money, but not enough to really make it worth the hassle. If I were at home right now, I could just watch the race on TV. 

World Challenge racing at COTA right now. https://www.gt-world-challenge-america.com/watch-live

There's been more bump 'shaving' at T3. The esses are a fucking disaster, esp in and out of 5. Big bumps in the T11 braking zone, & even in the T12 braking zone that's just been resurfaced. The big bump between 9 & 10 is still there, too. Looks like most of the rest of the resurfaced areas aren't bad, after some of it being resurfaced 2 & even 3 times this year.

As I was typing above, one of the cars broke its right rear suspension at T5. Wow.

Edited by wood

Am I the only one who has a hard time watching the end of the race? 

I have no problem waking up early (and staying awake) to watch the start, but for the ending for the past few years, I've noticed that I will record the end of the race, wake up an hour or an hour and a half before the end, and then eventually fall asleep - even if I go to bed relatively early. 

I seem to struggle with determining how far back to start watching the recording (I want to have all the appropriate context, etc.) and am not interested in just tuning in to watch the cars cross the line without knowing all the relevant "backstory" of the race, but I seem to overestimate how far back I need to go, because I am almost invariably going to find myself in that half-watching but kind of nodding off back and forth limbo of attentiveness. Which is no way to enjoy the race, either. 

I'm pretty sure this post is more appropriate for the "getting old sucks" thread, but the only people who will understand are already here... 

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Am I the only one who has a hard time watching the end of the race? 

I have no problem waking up early (and staying awake) to watch the start, but for the ending for the past few years, I've noticed that I will record the end of the race, wake up an hour or an hour and a half before the end, and then eventually fall asleep - even if I go to bed relatively early. 

I seem to struggle with determining how far back to start watching the recording (I want to have all the appropriate context, etc.) and am not interested in just tuning in to watch the cars cross the line without knowing all the relevant "backstory" of the race, but I seem to overestimate how far back I need to go, because I am almost invariably going to find myself in that half-watching but kind of nodding off back and forth limbo of attentiveness. Which is no way to enjoy the race, either. 

I'm pretty sure this post is more appropriate for the "getting old sucks" thread, but the only people who will understand are already here... 

My 16 yo's solution for that problem is to simply watch the entire race, start to finish, on the TV, with the app on his phone, and two laptops. He can see multiple onboards simultaneously, timing & scoring, etc.  3rd year in a row. He cray.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1