Driving in the UK

Zone Read

Got a great deal to go to Scotland and Ireland (see points and miles thread) for several weeks in the spring with Mrs. ZR (no pics).  I hate organized tours, so I figure we''ll rent a car and tour on our own.  I've read in many places that you get used to driving on the left side of the road pretty quickly, but I'm stressing about it.  Not sure how something I do for hours every day for the past 42 years will be that easy if all the rules and procedures are changed.  I can drive standard which seems to be what most rentals there are, but I think I'll pay the extra money for an automatic so it will be one less thing I have to think about while driving.  Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

It is really not difficult. I was somewhat apprehensive, but after 30 minutes, it felt almost normal. The only tricky thing was remembering you can turn left without crossing oncoming traffic. I always made sure to check traffic both ways because it seemed like good practice.

Roundabouts can be fun. Nothing too complicated; you go clockwise, but depending on the exit you are taking, there can be a specific lane you are supposed to be in. I screwed that up several times and had to cut across traffic. Fortunately, if you have data on your phone, Google Maps is pretty good about telling you what lane to be in. 

The wife and I did this a few years ago. At the rental car office, the lady behind the counter asked if I was OK driving on the left side of the road. I told her no problem. Of course, the first thing I did when I walked out to the car is try to get in the door on the left side of the car. However, after a couple of days, I could have outraced Jason Bourne through the streets of Ireland (at least I tell myself that).

The one thing I will suggest is get the smallest car you feel comfortable with. Those roads are skinny and a lot of them have hedges on the side with no shoulder.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

Got a great deal to go to Scotland and Ireland (see points and miles thread) for several weeks in the spring with Mrs. ZR (no pics).  I hate organized tours, so I figure we''ll rent a car and tour on our own.  I've read in many places that you get used to driving on the left side of the road pretty quickly, but I'm stressing about it.  Not sure how something I do for hours every day for the past 42 years will be that easy if all the rules and procedures are changed.  I can drive standard which seems to be what most rentals there are, but I think I'll pay the extra money for an automatic so it will be one less thing I have to think about while driving.  Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Have you considered letting your husband drive?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

The one thing I will suggest is get the smallest car you feel comfortable with. Those roads are skinny and a lot of them have hedges on the side with no shoulder.

This. I forgot to mention this. I'm not sure how I did not lose a side mirror. Especially with those damn tour buses barreling around a curve, 

We just got back from a week in Ireland and drove everywhere. The best thing you can do is watch a youtube video on driving the roundabouts. There are many more roundabouts in Ireland than the UK and you need to know which exit to take, which lane to be in, when to yield and when to signal. There are some excellent short videos that really helped me. The country roads are beautiful but narrow.

The location of the steering wheel is a helpful reminder that things are different.  Went with an automatic for one less thing to worry about.  All in all, it’s not that hard.  I had the most difficulty in parking lots.  No lines or stripes to remind you where you are supposed to be.  When you take possession of the vehicle, make sure to note any damage, particularly to the wheels/tires on the left side of the vehicle.  People not used to driving on the left side of the road make for terrible parallel parkers.  The wheels on the left side of our vehicle looked like they had been through a war.

I drove around Ireland for a week in a November years back. Definitely get an automatic and the smallest car you can because the country roads are crazy narrow. Hopefully there won't be many tour busses since you'll be there in spring. I didn't see one at all during November which definitely helped the driving stress level. If it's offered, buy ding and scratch insurance because I busted up all four hubcaps with my shit driving on the narrow roads and ended up owing $400. 

Dont overthink it.  It takes like all of 30 seconds to adapt driving in UK, NZ, etc.  You're mostly folllowing other people in the road.  The only thing you might be conscious of is, along country highways and etc, how many damn roundabouts there are.  Some hedged in rural roads are narrow, but millions of women can drive it, so can you

• Like 1

The only other thing worth cautioning you about is that if you get on a motorway, their version of a freeway, pay attention to which exit you want. Their exits are typically fewer and farther between each other than what we're used to and if you miss your exit you could end up going 10 or 20 minutes out of your way. Not that I personally learned this or anything.

• Haha 1

Just remember when driving, your body position should always be toward the middle of the road and not the shoulder. If you keep that rule in the back of your head, it comes naturally pretty quickly.

I did turn on my windshield wipers a lot when attempting to signal.

• Like 1

And hopefully this goes without saying, but don't even think about having a pint and driving:

1) Driving on the left side is tough even while stone-cold sober.
2) They're real strict about drinking and driving over there.
3) No matter where you are in Ireland, you're always within walking distance of a pub, so there's no reason to drive anywhere to get a drink.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

2) They're real strict about drinking and driving over there.

This. Not just strict, with all the speed cameras, but drivers there are actually courteous. It's pretty much the direct opposite of here - on the sidewalk they keep their head down and try to not yield. If you've seen The Verve's video "Bitter Sweet Symphony", I believe it's partially a parody of what it's like walking in London, or at least it seems that way. Drivers on the other hand are courteous and never did I encounter any road rage.

On 1/7/2020 at 10:32 AM, HouTex said:

In smaller cities/country side it shouldn’t be a huge deal. But good thing you are not going to London. I wouldn’t drive in central London even if they drove on the right side of the road.

I actually thought cities were easier.  You just follow what everyone else was doing.  The one time I started to drive on the wrong side of the road was in the country, after a few weeks in Scotland, and thought I was comfortable with it, i.e. not paying enough attention.  Other than that one incident I mainly just kept turning on my wipers every time I meant to use the turn signal.

On 1/7/2020 at 12:36 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Just practice by spending a week or so driving on the wrong side of the road here, first.

Seriously though, I'd have to get an automatic, I don't think I could ever get the hang of shifting lefty.

This was the hardest part for me. Shifting with the left hand but the clutch was still the left foot.

It keeps you on your toes. I did Ireland last summer and Scotland before that. Main thing is that your personal space is greatly diminished.
I'm about to head back over there and now I can't remember which countries I have speeding tickets in. I think the parking ticket in Switzerland got paid. 

When I got my parking ticket in Milan, they booted my rental. The police station is open 24/7. There’s an ATM right there. You pay in cash and by the time you walk back to your car the boot is gone. They have it down. I’m surprised the Swiss are less efficient.

On 1/7/2020 at 12:36 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Just practice by spending a week or so driving on the wrong side of the road here, first.

Seriously though, I'd have to get an automatic, I don't think I could ever get the hang of shifting lefty.

They call it "the stranger."

• Haha 1

It is more difficult than you think. And any road this is not the freeway is very narrow--often you have to pullover if you meet a car going the other direction. Also the roundabouts suck. Get a GPS at the rental place. The UK GPS will tell you how to position your vehicle in the roundabout to make sure you head off in the right direction. 

I hit a curb in the middle of Wales on a dark, rainy evening. Met a car coming the other way and pulled over to far and knocked my tire off the rim. Changing that flat made me swear to take the bus the next time.