Matt Rhule to the Panthers

texifornia

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I'd much rather Carolina's roster than the Giants.

Same. Carolina has been consistent the last 5 years. A Super Bowl mixed in along with other success. They have the talent to contend for the division. Even with how dysfunctional the Cowboys and Eagles were this year, Giants still were nowhere close. They are a mess right now. As bad as washington.

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know, maybe he wasn't one of those guys, but I certainly thought he was.

It's certainly not a thought without merit. His dad worked for the Second Mile, and I'd have to think that others who also did certainly knew something was up. It's not impossible to believe Matt didn't know anything, but it's damned difficult.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NowThis said:

why does a college coach on a 10 year contract take an NFL job where they cut your throat very quickly?  The annual money is about the same too, right?

They are just completely different jobs even if the pay is the same at both.  College you have to deal with kissing the ass of teenagers year around and on top of that unless you are at one of the big dog programs there are significant talent gaps between programs.  NFL has it's own set of challenges between salary caps, free agency, and retarded GMs, but between the 2 a true football coach would probably rather be in the NFL unless maybe you were at a major program and recruiting/talent gap are somewhat mitigated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I’m not sure he’s the messiah everyone thinks he is

No one is calling him a fucking messiah. If you want to lay it out here and walk us through why you don't think he's a damned good coach, go ahead and fucking post some reasons. A few of you guys have done drive-bys on threads when he comes up with the "Well, he lost to OU and Georgia". No shit his 2 and 3 star no-name recruits weren't able to run over two highly talented teams with impunity? Is that it? Or is there something else you saw that you can lay out for us? 

No one knows how the guy will do in the pros. Disputing that what he did at Baylor and, frankly, Temple, was anything short of phenomenal is putting idiocy on the board for display.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

No one is calling him a fucking messiah. If you want to lay it out here and walk us through why you don't think he's a damned good coach, go ahead and fucking post some reasons. A few of you guys have done drive-bys on threads when he comes up with the "Well, he lost to OU and Georgia". No shit his 2 and 3 star no-name recruits weren't able to run over two highly talented teams with impunity? Is that it? Or is there something else you saw that you can lay out for us? 

No one knows how the guy will do in the pros. Disputing that what he did at Baylor and, frankly, Temple, was anything short of phenomenal is putting idiocy on the board for display.

What was his best win this year?

Rhule seems to be a fine coach, but he's getting this job largely in part because of the job Phil Snow did on defense this season, particularly ripping off ISU's defensive scheme.  Rhule also seems to have some very backwards views on offense, which could hold back his team unless he's willing to set those ideas aside.

6 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

It's certainly not a thought without merit. His dad worked for the Second Mile, and I'd have to think that others who also did certainly knew something was up. It's not impossible to believe Matt didn't know anything, but it's damned difficult.

I didn't know that. Yeah, now I'm feeling just fine dinging the guy for his Paterno/PSU defense at the time.

5 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Rhule seems to be a fine coach, but he's getting this job largely in part because of the job Phil Snow did on defense this season, particularly ripping off ISU's defensive scheme.  Rhule also seems to have some very backwards views on offense, which could hold back his team unless he's willing to set those ideas aside.

Backwards offense means he will fit right in as an nfl coach. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

What was his best win this year?

That's all you've got? How about beating every team he was supposed to beat and blowing out Texas to boot? I'd like to see a coach at Texas take care of every game he's supposed to win at some point. That would be nice. 

Temple won 10 games once before Rhule. He won 10 games there, twice. He beat ranked teams for the first time since the late 90's. He kicked Penn State in the nuts while coaching at Temple, blew them out, and made Temple a national CFB talking point for the first time since the Big East attempted to kick them out of the conference for consistent poor performance in football.

He took a Baylor program in shambles with less than 60 players on scholarship, where the recruits were being freed from LOI constraints due to the problems, and ended up going 10-3 in his 3rd season, playing in a second bowl in a row. The fucking Baylor fans are crushed today that this guy is gone. What does that tell you? Texas fans here are openly gleeful about his exit. This wasn't smoke and mirrors, dude.

Like I wrote previously, taking some sort of position where what you've seen from Rhule doesn't impress you, doesn't make you smarter than everybody else. It simply shows the rest of us that your future takes regarding the game of football are to be easily ignored. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Have you watched very many Chiefs or Ravens games this season?  Rhule's offensive philosophy is in the opposite direction of where the NFL is headed.

quote from a week ago. Cue the violins.

“One thing people don’t realize is coaches, we pick up our families,” Rhule said. “We rip them out of their homes. We rip them out of the places that they are. Sometimes you do that until you get to a point where you find happy. You shouldn’t mess with happy.

“There’s a lot to accomplish at Baylor. And most importantly, it’s just each and every year, I want to put together a championship-caliber team. And I think we have a chance to be even better next year than we are this year. . . . More than money, it’s about the situation for my family.”

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It pisses me off that our PR hype machine tried to convince us that Herman was "the next big coach" and Baylor got a guy perceived as someone who was a lesser option and Rhule proved to be someone who did more with way less. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He took a Baylor program in shambles with less than 60 players on scholarship, where the recruits were being freed from LOI constraints due to the problems, and ended up going 10-3 in his 3rd season, playing in a second bowl in a row.

11-3, actually.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The fucking Baylor fans are crushed today that this guy is gone. What does that tell you?

That there really is a God even if He sits things out sometimes?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

It pisses me off that our PR hype machine tried to convince us that Herman was "the next big coach" and Baylor got a guy perceived as someone who was a lesser option and Rhule proved to be someone who did more with way less. 

It wasn't just some BOMC thing, it was literally the whole media - he did more exciting things at UH than Rhule did at Temple (an admittedly much harder job).

Anyway,

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That's all you've got? How about beating every team he was supposed to beat and blowing out Texas to boot? I'd like to see a coach at Texas take care of every game he's supposed to win at some point. That would be nice. 

Temple won 10 games once before Rhule. He won 10 games there, twice. He beat ranked teams for the first time since the late 90's. He kicked Penn State in the nuts while coaching at Temple, blew them out, and made Temple a national CFB talking point for the first time since the Big East attempted to kick them out of the conference for consistent poor performance in football.

He took a Baylor program in shambles with less than 60 players on scholarship, where the recruits were being freed from LOI constraints due to the problems, and ended up going 10-3 in his 3rd season, playing in a second bowl in a row. The fucking Baylor fans are crushed today that this guy is gone. What does that tell you? Texas fans here are openly gleeful about his exit. This wasn't smoke and mirrors, dude.

Like I wrote previously, taking some sort of position where what you've seen from Rhule doesn't impress you, doesn't make you smarter than everybody else. It simply shows the rest of us that your future takes regarding the game of football are to be easily ignored. 

Was it Iowa st?   In what game did you say “holy shit this guy is good?” Tcu?  Tech?  K state?   Don’t say us.  We suck. 

Edited by closetohumping
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 7

49 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So right now, is the Carolina job a better job than the "NY Football Giants"?

Surprised Rhule didn't meet with NY...

Is that not obvious? The Giants are a mess. DAve Gettleman is a huge reason why and he’s still the GM. Why would any HC what to have that guy as their GM?

43 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Gi'nts hedged on Belichick-level control demands, Panthers said "Whatever it takes, dude"?

Actually, it was the opposite. The Giants, including Gettleman, made statements about being willing to cede more control to the HC. The Panthers HCs a new owner with an extremely forward thinking front office. They’re just a better franchise right now, plain and simple.

25 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

It's a sad day when we're having to celebrate Baylor taking a step back.

Best of luck to Rhule.

So every day since the beginning of their program has been a sad day?

We could have won the NC and I'd still be laughing my ass off at this.

Yeah, the only not funny part is that you absolutely know that there have already been calls made to Baylor about contacting Art Briles. They have zero morals over there. 

They're worse than OU when it comes to that kind of thing, and that's saying a lot. I truly believe that Oklahoma would stop short of being okay with mass rape. Beating women? Sure, they're cool with that. But not what happened at Baylor. Or am I giving the Sooners too much credit?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

NFL is slowly becoming more open to innovative offenses. Ravens and Chiefs come to mind. Both are top seeds in the AFC. It can work. Difference in the NFL and college, is you have to keep adapting. NFL coaches are pretty good at exposing your weaknesses in any offense you run. You can't just continue to lean on talent discrepancy to win games like in college.

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Was it Iowa st?   In what game did you say “holy shit this guy is good?” Tcu?  Tech?  K state?   Don’t say us.  We suck. 

You're either purposefully obtuse or an imbecile. Don't care which. You can't refute anything of merit, so you harp on the weak schedule point and attempt to maintain that no singular thing the guy did this year was impressive, so therefore, and without having the balls to say it explicitly, you're offering up that he's an overrated coach who really isn't very good. Beating the fuck out of Texas was impressive, irrespective of your claims to the contrary. Running the schedule over, even with some help against Tech, until playing OU was impressive. You can subjectively whine otherwise, so you will.

The body of work cannot be argued as being unimpressive, so you'll passive aggressively sidle up and attempt to pull at a seam somewhere. Then if he fails at Carolina and is ousted, you get to claim that you had it the whole way. That's your MO and it's both boring and tedious.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Who is baylor going to hire that is a bigger fish

Odds are one of...

Joey McGuire (favorite, imo)

Blake Anderson

Billy Napier

Some rumblings that Gundy was a candidate in 2016, but I'm sure that was just for raise purposes and will be again if his name comes up again.

• Like 2