Dallas "old man bro" restuarant

tantric superman

A guy I went to school with and haven't seen for 20 plus years is rolling into town and I'm meeting him for a weekday dinner.  I think he's going to be in the Farmer's Branch area and willing to drive south.  

Guy is very well traveled.  Any particular recs -- good cocktails and solid food, but not looking for a date night place or something stupidly expensive.  No asian as he lives in Singapore.

Was thinking of Sachet because I've never tried it but thought it might be too fru fru for a couple of freshman dorm drunks.  Something with a vibe like Bolsa or  Nova but maybe closer to north dallas?

Bonus if any ideas for easy access to Farmer's Branch, North Dallas, as we may try to meet up early.

3 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I was thinking something other than Bobs or Al B. steak.  Will admit that steak is certainly old man bro....

Yep.  Al's North Dallas or on Oak Lawn, or Bob's on Lemmon is my go to if it is an expense account event.  Was looking at geography as well as price point based upon your request. 

I’ll second al biernats for great Dallas experience.

Neighborhood Services wasn’t as solid last time I went, but you’ll get away with a smaller bill. If you’re willing to go north to Plano for mexican, check out Mi Dia for something unique and delicious - skirt steak with either stacked enchiladas or Chile relleno. They also have an extensive tequila list.

Al Biernet's would be the best upscale experience.  I also like Oceannaire in that area, but it's not very Dallas and it's in a hotel.

Think about Mesero (north Dallas) or Gloria's at Beltline and the Tollway for Mexican, fun and casual.

Houston's on Beltline is also reliably good,

11 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I think Al Biernat’s is the only proper answer here.  The North location should be maybe 10 mins from Farmers Branch.  Sit in the bar.  If money is a problem, go before 7:00 and hit their happy hour menu.  Best food for the money in town.

Well, I mean except for the fact he said he was thinking of something other than Al Biernat's it's the only proper answer. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Well, I mean except for the fact he said he was thinking of something other than Al Biernat's it's the only proper answer. 

Not my problem that he was thinking wrong.  He was also thinking Sachet, which is also wrong.  Assumed he knew he was thinking wrong otherwise he wouldn’t have posted this.

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Not my problem that he was thinking wrong.  He was also thinking Sachet, which is also wrong.  Assumed he knew he was thinking wrong otherwise he wouldn’t have posted this.

The award for screaming "I'm a fucking asshole!" without actually screaming it goes to...

He's coming to Texas from Singapore so you gotta get him Mexican food. In that area Gloria's on Beltline/tollway and get loaded up on margaritas. They also make a solid old fashioned. 

Or if he's willing to drive down Hillcrest to Snyder Plaza get Banditos. 

Edited by Junior Miller

3 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Man, I tried that place and cocktails were solid if overpriced but the food was bland as fuck. It fit squarely in my "faux Mexican food for unadventurous white people" category. 

Yeah, that was my reaction when I went to the original location. I think I had duck carnitas or something. Gloria’s margarita is better, it’s definitely “faux mexican” (it’s in West plano), but the skirt steak dishes are legit. 

5 hours ago, threesheets said:

The award for screaming "I'm a fucking asshole!" without actually screaming it goes to...

Wait, there are awards for being an asshole on Surly?  And here my New Years Resolution was to be a kinder gentler Surly poster this year.  Fuck that if there are awards.

56 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Gloria’s isn’t technically Mexican food, it’s Salvadorian.  If he’s gonna do something like that, he should just go to Lupe for beef fajitas.  It’s right on Beltline.

It's a mixture but mostly Mexican. They have Salvadorian dishes like Papusas but the fajitas/quesadillas/margaritas and that stuff is squarely Mexican/Tex-Mex.  

Edited by Junior Miller

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Gloria’s isn’t technically Mexican food, it’s Salvadorian.  If he’s gonna do something like that, he should just go to Lupe for beef fajitas.  It’s right on Beltline.

I went to that Lupe location a few weeks ago and it was pure shit. I hope they figured it out by now. I prefer Mi Cocina>Glorias also. It is up on DNT and Frankford. 

Alot of good recs on here already. You should be alright. 

Gloria's? No. I can't even begin to estimate how much money I've spent in Bandito's over the years but if you're coming down this far and want to take him to get Tex-Mex, go to Rafa's on Lovers or better yet Avila's on Maple. Or you could go to the OG Mia's since it's moving to the old Buzzbrews location on Lemmon in a few months.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I thought Sachet might be wrong, but interested and was wondering whether it was better to take wife to or this guy.  Will take wife.

I'm not that interested in Al Biernet's because I go to the Oak Lawn one relatively regularly.  But it is a good suggestion.

The mexican place talk is helpful.  Will figure it out.  My idea of a perfect  Latin place is probably something more Tulum-ish or the old and gone Komali when it was pretty damn good..  Every time I go by Glorias there seems to be dancing going on.

Fuck it, to be honest, I just may make the guy drive and fight traffic, and go El Come Taco and then hit the mescal next door after.

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Gloria's? No. I can't even begin to estimate how much money I've spent in Bandito's over the years but if you're coming down this far and want to take him to get Tex-Mex, go to Rafa's on Lovers or better yet Avila's on Maple. Or you could go to the OG Mia's since it's moving to the old Buzzbrews location on Lemmon in a few months.

Damn I haven't been to Avila's in quite some time. Need to get back

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

I thought Sachet might be wrong, but interested and was wondering whether it was better to take wife to or this guy.  Will take wife.

I'm not that interested in Al Biernet's because I go to the Oak Lawn one relatively regularly.  But it is a good suggestion.

The mexican place talk is helpful.  Will figure it out.  My idea of a perfect  Latin place is probably something more Tulum-ish or the old and gone Komali when it was pretty damn good..  Every time I go by Glorias there seems to be dancing going on.

Fuck it, to be honest, I just may make the guy drive and fight traffic, and go El Come Taco and then hit the mescal next door after.

Wife and I went to Sachet a month or so ago for the first time. We absolutely loved it. We sat at the bar, which @Landomatic says is the best option there. They make the absolute best homemade pita bread I've ever tasted. We really enjoyed it. Neat place. But sit at the bar -- and get two orders of the pita bread.