Sarah Huckabee Sanders is terrible at this job

retread

31 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

It's even easier to see who thinks they are the sole arbitrator of tolerance.

Four points to make about the restaurant incident.

1.  Businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone they want for whatever reason they want.

2.  Would be customers have the right to refuse to spend their money at any business they want for whatever reason they want.

3.  Customers who are refused service by businesses have the right to go on social media and raise as big of a shitstorm over the situation as they feel like raising.

4.  A wise business owner would carefully evaluate whether points 2 and 3 make pursuing point 1 a good idea or not.

This restaurant will be out of business in six months because of this.

Agreed on most counts. I don’t care about anyone getting refused service. Anyone. And I don’t care if that business fails as a result of their actions. 

I know W&L and Lexington. I disagree that this restaurant will fail because of this. They’re about to get 6 months of significantly increased business and then who knows what will happen. 

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Pods said:

She was denied service, because she's an unlikable Baghdad Bob and is an active participant in the erosion of civil norms and the rule of law in this country.

I'm not exactly thrilled with the precedent this is setting. The GOP has destroyed civil discourse and completely abdicated their responsibility to replace Trump with someone reasonable and patriotic. The citizens are starting to push back in any way they can. Public scorn is appropriate here, but the method will be used later by both sides indiscriminately in the future. 

This is going to get a lot worse and it's one of the many consequences of the GOP allowing a traitorous, narcissistic buffoon to run a train on the USA.

I was watching Trump give a speech to some small business association a few days ago and they were laughing and cheering his awful rhetoric.   These guys are surrounded by an echo chamber of blind and adoring support, and they need to feel the social pressure they avoid in rallies and friendly group meetings.   Our leaders having to answer to their neighbors and community is one of the good things about our pseudo-democracy. 

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

I was watching Trump give a speech to some small business association a few days ago and they were laughing and cheering his awful rhetoric.   These guys are surrounded by an echo chamber of blind and adoring support, and they need to feel the social pressure they avoid in rallies and friendly group meetings.   Our leaders having to answer to their neighbors and community is one of the good things about our pseudo-democracy. 

I agree. It's necessary due to the utter failure of the GOP to hold their own accountable. It fucking sucks that it's come to this, but it's well past time. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

1.  Businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone they want for whatever reason they want.

2.  Would be customers have the right to refuse to spend their money at any business they want for whatever reason they want.

3.  Customers who are refused service by businesses have the right to go on social media and raise as big of a shitstorm over the situation as they feel like raising.

4.  A wise business owner would carefully evaluate whether points 2 and 3 make pursuing point 1 a good idea or not.

Not a chance. W&L is a conservative school, but the brand of conservative is country club Republican. I suspect the student body is getting more liberal by the year and that there are enough professional class liberal parents of W&L kids to keep them swimming in business. The professors are mostly liberal, too.

5 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Agreed on most counts. I don’t care about anyone getting refused service. Anyone. And I don’t care if that business fails as a result of their actions. 

I know W&L and Lexington. I disagree that this restaurant will fail because of this. They’re about to get 6 months of significantly increased business and then who knows what will happen. 

There will be people who go out of their way to eat there now. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2018/06/23/why-a-small-town-restaurant-owner-asked-sarah-huckabee-sanders-to-leave-and-would-do-it-again/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.aabbcb77ac7c

Stephanie Wilkinson was at home Friday evening — nearly 200 miles from the White House — when the choice presented itself.

Her phone rang about 8 p.m. It was the chef at the Red Hen, the tiny farm-to-table restaurant that she co-owned just off Main Street in Lexington, Va.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders had just walked in and sat down, the chef informed her.

“He said the staff is a little concerned. What should we do?” Wilkinson told The Washington Post. “I said I’d be down to see if it’s true.”

It seemed unlikely to her that President Trump’s press secretary should be dining at a 26-seat restaurant in rural Virginia. But then, it was unlikely that her entire staff would have misidentified Sanders, who had arrived last to a table of eight booked under her husband’s name.

As she made the short drive to the Red Hen, Wilkinson knew only this:

She knew Lexington, population 7,000, had voted overwhelmingly against Trump in a county that voted overwhelmingly for him. She knew the community was deeply divided over such issues as Confederate flags. She knew, she said, that her restaurant and its half-dozen servers and cooks had managed to stay in business for 10 years by keeping politics off the menu.

And she knew — she believed — that Sarah Huckabee Sanders worked in the service of an “inhumane and unethical” administration. That she publicly defended the president’s cruelest policies, and that that could not stand.

“I’m not a huge fan of confrontation,” Wilkinson said. “I have a business, and I want the business to thrive. This feels like the moment in our democracy when people have to make uncomfortable actions and decisions to uphold their morals.”

When she walked into the restaurant, Wilkinson saw that there had been no mistake. The Red Hen is no bigger than some apartments, and the group table was impossible to miss: Sanders in a black dress, her husband, three or four men and women of roughly similar ages, and an older couple.

“They had cheese boards in front of them,” Wilkinson said. Like any other family. The kitchen was already preparing the party’s main course. Wilkinson interrupted to huddle with her workers.

Several Red Hen employees were gay, she said. They knew Sanders had defended Trump’s desire to bar transgender people from the military. This month, they had all watched her evade questions and defend a Trump policy that caused migrant children to be separated from their parents.

“Tell me what you want me to do. I can ask her to leave,” Wilkinson told her staff, she said. “They said yes.”

It was important to Wilkinson, she said, that Sanders had already been served — that her staff had not simply refused her on sight. And it was important to her that Sanders was a public official, not just a customer with whom she disagreed, many of whom were included in her regular clientele.

All the same, she was tense as she walked up to the press secretary’s chair.

“I said, ‘I’m the owner,’ ” she recalled, ” ‘I’d like you to come out to the patio with me for a word.’ ”

They stepped outside, into another small enclosure, but at least out of the crowded restaurant.

“I was babbling a little, but I got my point across in a polite and direct fashion,” Wilkinson said. “I explained that the restaurant has certain standards that I feel it has to uphold, such as honesty, and compassion, and cooperation.

“I said, ‘I’d like to ask you to leave.’ ”

Wilkinson didn’t know how Sanders would react, or whether Trump’s chief spokeswoman had been called out in a restaurant before — as the president’s homeland security secretary had been days earlier.

Sanders’s response was immediate, Wilkinson said: ” ‘ That’s fine. I’ll go.’ ”

Sanders went back to the table, picked up her things and walked out. The others at her table had been welcome to stay, Wilkinson said. But they didn’t, so the servers cleared away the cheese plates and glasses.

“They offered to pay,” Wilkinson said. “I said, ‘No. It’s on the house.’ ”

At the end of the shift, Wilkinson said, staff members left the usual overnight note in the kitchen for the morning manager: a problem with the credit card machine. Restock vodka and tequila.

One of the servers photographed the whiteboard before going home Friday. He had posted it to his public Facebook wall by the time Wilkinson woke up Saturday. For all the angst that evening, Wilkinson said, everything had taken place with decorum. She had been polite; Sanders had been polite; the press secretary’s family had been polite as they followed her out the door.

Not so much the rest of the world, as it discovered Red Hen waiter Jaike Foley-Schultz’s post: “I just served Sarah huckabee sanders for a total of 2 minutes before my owner asked her to leave.”

A fountain of alternately celebratory and outraged comments gushed from Foley-Schultz’s Facebook wall into the Red Hen’s social media accounts, then its Yelp review page.

Five stars: “Thank you for refusing to serve a person who lies to the American people for a living.”

One star: “They made some snide remark about a ‘spit souffle’ for the Florida nazi.’”

Between the fury and fawning of 2,000 people who almost certainly had not eaten at the restaurant, the Red Hen’s Yelp reviews almost instantly averaged out to two-and-a-half stars. Another Red Hen in Washington was at pains to make clear that it had no affiliation with Wilkinson’s place.

And that was before Sanders confirmed the story in a late morning tweet, including the restaurant’s name and location.

“I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so,” the press secretary wrote. “Her actions say far more about her than about me.”

Wilkinson doesn’t know where all this will leave the Red Hen when the news coverage dies down — or even when it opens again for dinner Saturday, for that matter.

Wilkinson was on her way to a Main Street festival before then. She had helped organize it — under one of the other hats she wears around Lexington, besides politically conscious restaurateur. She wasn’t sure what her neighbors would have to say about the news.

“This is a small enough town, and we’re known,” she said optimistically. “This is not going to be a giant surprise to anyone.”

But even as she spoke, “Red Hen” was trending toward the top of Twitter, national photographers were en route to the restaurant, and conservatives were calling for protests and boycotts, or trolling its reservation line, while liberals suggested campaigns to reward it.

“Whatever happens, we will soldier on,” Wilkinson said.

And she added: “Absolutely, yes, I would have done the same thing again. . . . We just felt there are moments in time when people need to live their convictions. This appeared to be one.”

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I would rather be refused service at the restaurant than have to wonder whether or not anyone in the kitchen spit in my food.

If they’re not assuming they are eating spit (and worse) at every restaurant they go to then they’re dumber than we think. 

• Haha 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2018/06/23/why-a-small-town-restaurant-owner-asked-sarah-huckabee-sanders-to-leave-and-would-do-it-again/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.aabbcb77ac7c

Stephanie Wilkinson was at home Friday evening — nearly 200 miles from the White House — when the choice presented itself.
Her phone rang about 8 p.m. It was the chef at the Red Hen, the tiny farm-to-table restaurant that she co-owned just off Main Street in Lexington, Va.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders had just walked in and sat down, the chef informed her.
“He said the staff is a little concerned. What should we do?” Wilkinson told The Washington Post. “I said I’d be down to see if it’s true.”
It seemed unlikely to her that President Trump’s press secretary should be dining at a 26-seat restaurant in rural Virginia. But then, it was unlikely that her entire staff would have misidentified Sanders, who had arrived last to a table of eight booked under her husband’s name.
As she made the short drive to the Red Hen, Wilkinson knew only this:
She knew Lexington, population 7,000, had voted overwhelmingly against Trump in a county that voted overwhelmingly for him. She knew the community was deeply divided over such issues as Confederate flags. She knew, she said, that her restaurant and its half-dozen servers and cooks had managed to stay in business for 10 years by keeping politics off the menu.
And she knew — she believed — that Sarah Huckabee Sanders worked in the service of an “inhumane and unethical” administration. That she publicly defended the president’s cruelest policies, and that that could not stand.
“I’m not a huge fan of confrontation,” Wilkinson said. “I have a business, and I want the business to thrive. This feels like the moment in our democracy when people have to make uncomfortable actions and decisions to uphold their morals.”
When she walked into the restaurant, Wilkinson saw that there had been no mistake. The Red Hen is no bigger than some apartments, and the group table was impossible to miss: Sanders in a black dress, her husband, three or four men and women of roughly similar ages, and an older couple.
“They had cheese boards in front of them,” Wilkinson said. Like any other family. The kitchen was already preparing the party’s main course. Wilkinson interrupted to huddle with her workers.
Several Red Hen employees were gay, she said. They knew Sanders had defended Trump’s desire to bar transgender people from the military. This month, they had all watched her evade questions and defend a Trump policy that caused migrant children to be separated from their parents.
“Tell me what you want me to do. I can ask her to leave,” Wilkinson told her staff, she said. “They said yes.”
It was important to Wilkinson, she said, that Sanders had already been served — that her staff had not simply refused her on sight. And it was important to her that Sanders was a public official, not just a customer with whom she disagreed, many of whom were included in her regular clientele.
All the same, she was tense as she walked up to the press secretary’s chair.
“I said, ‘I’m the owner,’ ” she recalled, ” ‘I’d like you to come out to the patio with me for a word.’ ”
They stepped outside, into another small enclosure, but at least out of the crowded restaurant.
“I was babbling a little, but I got my point across in a polite and direct fashion,” Wilkinson said. “I explained that the restaurant has certain standards that I feel it has to uphold, such as honesty, and compassion, and cooperation.

“I said, ‘I’d like to ask you to leave.’ ”
Wilkinson didn’t know how Sanders would react, or whether Trump’s chief spokeswoman had been called out in a restaurant before — as the president’s homeland security secretary had been days earlier.
Sanders’s response was immediate, Wilkinson said: ” ‘ That’s fine. I’ll go.’ ”
Sanders went back to the table, picked up her things and walked out. The others at her table had been welcome to stay, Wilkinson said. But they didn’t, so the servers cleared away the cheese plates and glasses.
“They offered to pay,” Wilkinson said. “I said, ‘No. It’s on the house.’ ”
At the end of the shift, Wilkinson said, staff members left the usual overnight note in the kitchen for the morning manager: a problem with the credit card machine. Restock vodka and tequila.
One of the servers photographed the whiteboard before going home Friday. He had posted it to his public Facebook wall by the time Wilkinson woke up Saturday. For all the angst that evening, Wilkinson said, everything had taken place with decorum. She had been polite; Sanders had been polite; the press secretary’s family had been polite as they followed her out the door.
Not so much the rest of the world, as it discovered Red Hen waiter Jaike Foley-Schultz’s post: “I just served Sarah huckabee sanders for a total of 2 minutes before my owner asked her to leave.”
A fountain of alternately celebratory and outraged comments gushed from Foley-Schultz’s Facebook wall into the Red Hen’s social media accounts, then its Yelp review page.
Five stars: “Thank you for refusing to serve a person who lies to the American people for a living.”
One star: “They made some snide remark about a ‘spit souffle’ for the Florida nazi.’”
Between the fury and fawning of 2,000 people who almost certainly had not eaten at the restaurant, the Red Hen’s Yelp reviews almost instantly averaged out to two-and-a-half stars. Another Red Hen in Washington was at pains to make clear that it had no affiliation with Wilkinson’s place.
And that was before Sanders confirmed the story in a late morning tweet, including the restaurant’s name and location.
“I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so,” the press secretary wrote. “Her actions say far more about her than about me.”
Wilkinson doesn’t know where all this will leave the Red Hen when the news coverage dies down — or even when it opens again for dinner Saturday, for that matter.
Wilkinson was on her way to a Main Street festival before then. She had helped organize it — under one of the other hats she wears around Lexington, besides politically conscious restaurateur. She wasn’t sure what her neighbors would have to say about the news.
“This is a small enough town, and we’re known,” she said optimistically. “This is not going to be a giant surprise to anyone.”
But even as she spoke, “Red Hen” was trending toward the top of Twitter, national photographers were en route to the restaurant, and conservatives were calling for protests and boycotts, or trolling its reservation line, while liberals suggested campaigns to reward it.
“Whatever happens, we will soldier on,” Wilkinson said.
And she added: “Absolutely, yes, I would have done the same thing again. . . . We just felt there are moments in time when people need to live their convictions. This appeared to be one.”

Her words are damned powerful. Good stuff.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders and the lost art of shunning

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders — whose lies are piling up at a furious rate and whose defense of the child-separation policy prompted a reporter to exclaim, “Come on, Sarah, you’re a parent” — was reportedly asked to leave a restaurant in Virginia on Friday because she works for President Trump. In a tweet, she explained that “I was told by the owner of Red Hen in Lexington, VA to leave because I work for @POTUS and I politely left.” She then couldn’t help lying again: “I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so.” Anyone who has seen her sneer, insult and condescend to the press knows that’s not the case.

This episode follows one on Tuesday in which Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen was heckled at a Mexican restaurant, a culinary choice as jarring as Melania Trump’s jacket given the administration’s deliberate cruelty exhibited toward Hispanic children and their families. The loud protesters who gathered prompted her to leave. In addition, anti-immigrant zealot Stephen Miller, who pushed as hard as anyone for snatching kids from their parents, was dining in a different Mexican restaurant last Sunday when, according to the New York Post,  a protester called out, “Hey look guys, whoever thought we’d be in a restaurant with a real-life fascist begging [for] money for new cages?”

Unsurprisingly, the restaurant confrontations became a source of debate on cable television. On CNN, Ana Navarro tartly observed, “You make choices in life. And there is a cost to being an accomplice to this cruel, deceitful administration.” So, are these reactions to Trump aides reassuring and appropriate acts of social ostracism that communicate to the cogs in a barbaric bureaucracy that they cannot escape the consequences of their actions? Alternatively, should we view these as a sign of our descent into incivility, evidence that we are so polarized we literally cannot stand to be in the same room as those with whom we disagree?

It depends on how you view the child-separation policy. If you think the decision to separate children from parents as a means of deterring  other asylum seekers is simply one more policy choice, like tax cuts or negotiations with North Korea, then, yes, screaming at political opponents is inappropriate. Such conduct is contrary to the democratic notion that we do not personally destroy our political opponents but, rather, respect differences and learn to fight and perhaps compromise on another day. If, however, you think the child-separation policy is in a different class — a human rights crime, an inhumane policy for which the public was primed by efforts to dehumanize a group of people (“animals,” “infest,” etc.) — then it is both natural and appropriate for decent human beings to shame and shun the practitioners of such a policy.

This exception to the rule of polite social action should be used sparingly (if for no other reason than we will never get through a restaurant meal without someone hollering at someone else). If a lawmaker, for example, who favors a harsh, ill-conceived immigration bill walks into a restaurant, I would not recommend raising a rumpus (though I would not invite that person to my home).

Listen, I get it. The notion of shunning or excluding or heckling can devolve into philosophical hair-splitting as to whether someone has engaged in normal public service or whether they’ve strayed outside the bounds of decent behavior. Each to his own method of expressing disdain and fury, I suppose.

Nevertheless, it is not altogether a bad thing to show those who think they’re exempt from personal responsibility that their actions bring scorn, exclusion and rejection. If you don’t want to provoke wrath, don’t continue to work for someone whose cruel and inhumane treatment of others rivals the internment of U.S. citizens and noncitizens of Japanese descent during World War II. And yes, I’d have hollered at then-California Attorney General Earl Warren, who pushed for the roundup of people of Japanese ancestry, even American citizens.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2018/06/23/sarah-huckabee-sanders-and-the-lost-art-of-shunning/

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

3 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

I'm willing to bet the owner of the Red Hen knows more about his or her business than you do. Just because it's in a "red" part of Virginia doesn't mean the clientele of that restaurant is. 

22 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I'm willing to bet the owner of the Red Hen knows more about his or her business than you do. Just because it's in a "red" part of Virginia doesn't mean the clientele of that restaurant is. 

It also seems to be a small restaurant, so it’s not like a boycott by Trumpkins amounts to anything, and they will more than make up for it by lefties dropping by, who didn’t know about it before. 

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I have been very clear on the special of the night. If you have any other questions, please refer them to the chef. But the president has been clear and consistent on his view of the specials. 

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

I’m not sure how this hurts her business. Too many people are anti-Trump. This kind of publicity for a restaurant is good. It will be filled up for 6 months, and then its long term success will depend upon the quality of food. 

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Businesses have the right under federal law to refuse service to anyone they want, provided they aren't discriminating against a protected class. It's amazing how difficult it is for people to understand such a simple concept.

And SHS isn't a protected class.  They didn't throw her for any reason they could fit in a demographic checkbox.  They threw her out because she's a loathsome individual.

The former director of the Office of Government Ethics said on Saturday that White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders’s decision to tweet about being kicked out of a Virginia restaurant violated ethics laws.

Walter Shaub, the federal government's former top ethics watchdog, tweeted that Sanders's response, which was made from her official White House account, was a clear violation of federal law.

29 minutes ago, RPM said:

The former director of the Office of Government Ethics said on Saturday that White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders’s decision to tweet about being kicked out of a Virginia restaurant violated ethics laws.

Walter Shaub, the federal government's former top ethics watchdog, tweeted that Sanders's response, which was made from her official White House account, was a clear violation of federal law.

I bet that guy is a real hoot to be around.

11 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I can't wait til some fucktard tries this on the Obamas.

Doubt the Obamas are likely to frequent Trumpkin owned or managed establishments.  I just don't see them as the Golden Corral type.  

Edited by brown water
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RPM said:

What a nerd.