US bases in Iraq under missile attack

Gil Bang

Just rolled over to Fox News and the top comments is “Time to knock out the Iran middle sites.  Go Trump!”  

First off, I thought the Trumpers were all about using war money domestically and ending meddling in other countries under America First.  We all knew it was a lie, as they’d gladly root on whatever the orange man says.  

Second those missiles are pretty much either mobile launchers, or buried in wild bunker systems.  There’s no simple ‘you sunk my battleship’ move that knocks them all out. 

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28292/latest-video-of-irans-bond-villain-like-ballistic-missile-lairs-shows-key-new-detail

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Actually, it doesn't.  This is EXACTLY the kind of thing we feared.  We also fear that it can and will get worse.

If Iran scores TOO big a hit, Trump is going to feel like he has no choice but to go big.  Understand, with crystal fucking clarity, that the use of nuclear weapons is on the table here.  Remember...

This.  Trump's been looking for an excuse to use a nuke.  He's got it.  And if he doesn't, he'll manufacture one.  I'm pretty convinced that's where we're heading.  And beyond the horror of the people we'll be killing in Iran, we will lose every single ally we ever had.

• Haha 1

Quoting because this is peak information warfare time with all the major players in the digital theater.  Like imagine Israel, Saudi, Russia, and Iran all flooding the information space with bullshit at once. 

“There’s a second shooter!” x 10000

Let's be clear 

These attacks were against Iraqi installations housing US personnel. I honestly don't know if they originated from Iranian soil or were carried out in Iraq but Shia Iraqi citizens.

The target was no doubt the US personnel but the big problem that Iraq has here is from a political sense as a "sovereign" nation they have to nip this in the bud or it could quickly devolve into a crack up of the regions. 

Maybe that's what they want and in the end is for the best in my opinion but you can't vote out the US one day and the next have attacks like these without an Iraqi response and expect anyone to value your parliament/government.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

If there are no Anerican casualties will Trump respond? 

Not as intensely as he will if there are casualties (which there probably will be) but he can't ignore this.  The Iranian regime interprets mercy as weakness and would be emboldened to escalate more attacks.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, maninblack said:

Let's be clear 

These attacks were against Iraqi installations housing US personnel. I honestly don't know if they originated from Iranian soil or were carried out in Iraq but Shia Iraqi citizens.

The target was no doubt the US personnel but the big problem that Iraq has here is from a political sense as a "sovereign" nation they have to nip this in the bud or it could quickly devolve into a crack up of the regions. 

Maybe that's what they want and in the end is for the best in my opinion but you can't vote out the US one day and the next have attacks like these without an Iraqi response and expect anyone to value your parliament/government.

And...THAT'S how you end up with a region-wide conflict.

But, I mean, a single assassination has NEVER set off a powder keg before.....

DC-1914-27-d-Sarajevo-cropped.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Al Asad is nowhere near Iran so I have a hard time believing any attack there originated in Iran

I usually agree with you but I have to ask you if you understand that missiles can fly?  You don't have to throw them at somebody like a rock.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Al Asad is nowhere near Iran so I have a hard time believing any attack there originated in Iran

Most reports say they used short range ballistic missiles or cruise missiles. I haven’t seen any reports that they came from anywhere other than Iran. 

Just now, EMAWesome said:

I usually agree with you but I have to ask you if you understand that missiles can fly?  You don't have to throw them at somebody like a rock.

Look at a map. It's not close. Al Asad is closer to the Syrian and Jordanian border. I know because I've been there and spent a deployment working in Western Iraq. The news is saying it's Iranian and might be but they could be confusing people that now believe these rockets launched from Iran as opposed to Shia Muslims (Iraqi or Iranian) who are just as pissed. 

If the rockets launched from Iran they would have had to fly damn near over Baghdad and Balad air Base. There's still plenty of Surface to air weapon systems in the area that I have hard time believing missiles traveling that distance wouldn't have been detected and eliminated.

1 minute ago, Errestaurants said:

So we will be getting a Top Gun 3 at some point? US airmen vs Iran's should be interesting 

Don't underestimate the Iranians.  They can't "win" an air war, but they can shoot down some of  our guys no doubt. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The stupid thing was putting  Iran in a position where it had no choice but to respond.

In an adversarial situation, if you don't want your adversary to do something rash and destructive, you always leave your adversary a way to save face.  Taking out Iran's #2 leader, and bragging about it to high heaven, when he was quite popular internally....didn't leave Iran much choice.  Not punching back was not an option.  Putting Iran in a position where they had no viable option but to attack US interests directly was a stupid, stupid move.

That's why a crapload of us aren't upset that Solemani is dead -- we're upset that we fucking did it in such a brazen way that guaranteed a counter-strike.

The U.S. didn't put Iran in a situation where they had no choice but to respond. Iran put Iran in a situation where they had no choice but to respond.  And as far as Trump being a war monger and wanting a war with Iran let's go through a bit of a time line from the last year.

Iran attacks tankers in the Strait of Hormuz--no response from Trump or the U.S.

Iran shoots down an American drone--no response from Trump or the U.S.

Iran launches missile attack (may have been rockets I'm doing this from memory) against Saudi Arabia--no response from Trump or the U.S.

There are three open doors for Trump to walk through just in the last year if he wanted a war with Iran.  He didn't walk through any of them.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 5