2020 Soccer Catchall Thread

Firemans4Horn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Lol, so ridiculous. Barcelona were allowed to sign an emergency striker due to injury. They signed this guy for his release clause and the team that lost him (they are in a relegation battle) are not allowed to replace him. 

La Liga continually bends over backwards for Real and Barca.

Too much sex: Club chief explains poor form in Romania

Gigi Becali, the flamboyant owner of Bucharest football club FCSB, formerly known as Steaua Bucharest, thinks he knows what is to blame for his team's recent poor run in the Romanian league: too much sex.

The 1986 European Cup winners, Romania's most successful club with 26 league titles, have failed to win their last three games, and Becali said after FCSB's 1-1 home draw against lowly Chindia Targoviste: "My players are making love with their girlfriends too often, that's why they aren't playing football so well lately."

The result left them fourth in the table, eight points behind leaders CFR Cluj...

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fcsb/story/4060160/too-much-sex-club-chief-explains-limp-form-in-romania

Below are images that came up when "Romanian WAGS" was entered into a search engine.

Bianca+Marina+Arbanas%252C+Steliano+Fili

Boarta+Irina+si+Nicolae+Mitea+4.jpg

Boarta+Irina+si+Nicolae+Mitea+6.jpg

Boarta+Irina+si+Nicolae+Mitea+1.jpg

0004-nik0007-copy.jpg

WAG+Bianca+Marina+Arbanas+04+mrsport.ro.

tumblr_ljuioi2pl81qivl33o1_500.jpg

WAG+Bianca+Marina+Arbanas+11+mrsport.ro.

wags.jpg

Edited by Napoleon

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Anyone follow bundesliga enough to explain why teams, especially the top teams like Dortmund and Bayern, have an issue with deitmar hopp spending his money to support his club?  Do they just not want the competition of another well funded club?  Who cares if tsg was a club team 20 years ago?  

Bundesliga fans aren't big fans of teams that buy their way to success? Everyone there hates Leipzig with a passion.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does Bayern not have a huge payroll?

Hopp was given permission to bypass the Bundesliga's 50+1 rule that is meant to keep teams locally owned and not run by billionaires. Theres a lot of people that don't see Chelsea, Man City, or PSG as great success stories for modern soccer. Also, Hoffenheim was in Germany's 5th tier not long ago. Pouring money in got them to where they are now.

Edited by Schulz2.0

This isn’t some random russian or longhorn billionaire buying man city or Chelsea. 
hopp was on the team or grew up in the area or both. And there’s 2 league teams already that had permission to be outside of the 50+1 rule. 

rules shouldn’t be such that small market teams cannot compete. 

• Like 1

Well the Bundesliga has made it official and called off games this weekend, meaning the Big 5 are all on the shelf for sometime now.

So the way I see it:

EURO 2020 is now EURO 2021

The leagues will be able to finish up this season in the summer, in theory. And club play is good to go.

I gotta ask - assuming that, what the heck does that do to World Cup qualifying after this? That was supposed to be all of 2021. Now what?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 10:55 PM, texifornia said:

Two episodes deep, Sunderland 'til I Die season 2 is, if anything, better than STID s1. What a phenomenal show.

I don't know why they only limited it to 6 episodes. They left out a lot of big storylines like the owners having to move out multiple players before the summer transfer deadline and canceling the contracts of Ndong and Djilobodji for breach on contract (failed to show up to training to try and force their way out for little or no compensation).

7 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I don't know why they only limited it to 6 episodes. They left out a lot of big storylines like the owners having to move out multiple players before the summer transfer deadline and canceling the contracts of Ndong and Djilobodji for breach on contract (failed to show up to training to try and force their way out for little or no compensation).

Sounds like based on interviews they didn't have as much fun filming this season and feel they've run out of new things to say. Honestly since they're fans I think they're just depressed.

I just finished the series. From what I've read, they weren't exactly accurate on the PR girl who appeared to quit or get fired nor more importantly the Maja negotiations.

Spoiler

The PR girl still works for SAFC but apparently moved to the charity foundation with a better title. As for Maja, the series didn't point out that they could have kept him for 200K to finish the season and given them the best chance to promote. Also the million pound agent fee was supposedly a wild exaggeration. But they took 1.5MM from Bordeaux instead, then spent more than twice that amount on Griggs.

But I agree, what a dickpunch life for the fans. Their 2019-20 ends (hangs in limbo, maybe) with Sunderland tied on points for the last playoff spot, but having played an extra game. Several teams bunched up ahead of them.

Yeah their frugality with maja followed by the desperation spending on Griggs made zero sense. 

seems like the path to promotion in that league, and many others, is to have an owner willing to overspend on roster and take the big financial loss. Which leads to soccer fans feeling like teams are buying their way to wins in some sort of unsportsmanlike manner. 

A lot of the Maja stuff is on the previous owners. The club was hemorrhaging money so bad that they weren't even extending deals for promising youth prospects. That's part of why he came into the season with 1 year left on his contract. 

There's also the fact that Sunderland were exploring their options and talking to several teams when Maja left and went to Bordeaux before anything was agreed. His agent orchestrated everything to force a move. Overpaying for Grigg was dumb, but that's also what happens if you're forced to buy in January.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/soccer/ajax-amsterdam/story/4088830/coronavirus-sees-2019-20-dutch-season-cancelled-with-ajax-denied-title

Coronavirus sees 2019-20 Dutch season canceled with leaders Ajax denied title

may not bode well for other Leagues.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/25/premier-league-completion-probably-not-realistic-says-dutch-fa-president-just-spee

Premier League completion 'probably not realistic', says Dutch FA president

That's a big domino to fall if you hope to see the EPL return.

Compare Germany vs France and the UK in terms of testing. It's not really close. And the results are seen in the number of cases. Germany has already started turning their numbers down.

The result is that the Germans appear to be set to bring the Bundesliga back in a few weeks (still an IF). Given that France and the UK look similar, I don't see how any other result other than calling off the rest of the season looks possible in England.

And let's be real with Champions League - that's not going to happen. We haven't even mentioned Spain or Italy, the worst hit countries in Europe and representative of 7 of the last 12 teams in the UCL.

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

That's a big domino to fall if you hope to see the EPL return.

Compare Germany vs France and the UK in terms of testing. It's not really close. And the results are seen in the number of cases. Germany has already started turning their numbers down.

The result is that the Germans appear to be set to bring the Bundesliga back in a few weeks (still an IF). Given that France and the UK look similar, I don't see how any other result other than calling off the rest of the season looks possible in England.

And let's be real with Champions League - that's not going to happen. We haven't even mentioned Spain or Italy, the worst hit countries in Europe and representative of 7 of the last 12 teams in the UCL.

right... i am trying to figure out how you work out UCL and Europa competitions next year, unless all the european leagues are on the same page on how to "resolve" the 2019-2020 season. They either all finish the games or they all void and restart.

I cant see how each league can do one or the other and then it all gets sorted properly in the European competitions next year.

*** although Gabe Marcotti sees a way and his article here explains in depth

European soccer, UEFA can use common sense to finish 2019-20 season.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4089820/european-socceruefa-can-use-common-sense-to-finish-2019-20-season-plus-dont-hate-ozil-for-declining-pay-cut

Edited by yoladu

On 4/28/2020 at 10:27 AM, Bartles said:

France cancels remainder of Ligue 1 and 2. Still a chance PSG and Lyon can resume Champions League but who knows. That's a pretty big domino to fall here in April

PSG will be named champions. Marseille and Rennes will be in the Champions League next year. Lille and Nice will go into Europa League group stage. League 2 will promote Lorient and Lens. Toulouse and Amiens will go down. So the EPL could take the same approach and PSG only had a 12 point lead. But again, I don't think the EPL is in any rush and it wouldn't shock me to see some British resolve to wait it out until June. 

On 4/26/2020 at 10:30 PM, yoladu said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/ajax-amsterdam/story/4088830/coronavirus-sees-2019-20-dutch-season-cancelled-with-ajax-denied-title

Coronavirus sees 2019-20 Dutch season canceled with leaders Ajax denied title

may not bode well for other Leagues...

This is REGARDED!!

22 minutes ago, mdmost said:

PSG will be named champions. Marseille and Rennes will be in the Champions League next year. Lille and Nice will go into Europa League group stage. League 2 will promote Lorient and Lens. Toulouse and Amiens will go down. So the EPL could take the same approach and PSG only had a 12 point lead. But again, I don't think the EPL is in any rush and it wouldn't shock me to see some British resolve to wait it out until June. 

There is no way that the EPL should follow the Dutch lead.

Shit happens, end the season where it was ended, 1st place are the Champs, Spots 1-4 to the Champions League, and Spots 18-20 say your goodbyes and off you go.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I don't know about Amiens, but Toulouse said they're going to take it to court.

On 4/30/2020 at 7:48 PM, Napoleon said:

This is REGARDED!!

There is no way that the EPL should follow the Dutch lead.

Shit happens, end the season where it was ended, 1st place are the Champs, Spots 1-4 to the Champions League, and Spots 18-20 say your goodbyes and off you go.

Much easier said than done. Teams haven't even played the same number of games. Tell Aston Villa they are relegated when they have played 1 less game than other teams and the 3 points of that game would get them out of relegation.

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Much easier said than done. Teams haven't even played the same number of games. Tell Aston Villa they are relegated when they have played 1 less game than other teams and the 3 points of that game would get them out of relegation.

Aston Villa, sorry, you’re out. 

That said, team should start the season in the EPL with 38 points and then a Win = +2 and a Loss = -1. A Draw and nothing changes  

Before a match is played, no team is winning and no team is losing, so that 1 point should be there  

Aston Villa would have a point for that I played game and then if the go down, they go down  

yeah, freezing the season and awarding based on current standings will certainly bring lawsuits from Aston Villa and possibly even Sheffield United and Arsenal.

now maybe they can agree to play the 2 remaining matches to get everyone on 29 games, but even then, do you think Man City is putting any of their 1st teamers on the pitch for a one off match? that possiblity would bring further lawsuits from Watford or even Tottenham and Wolverhampton.

I don't think even Liverpool would be happy with the 29 match season. Do they really want the trophy "awarded" to them this way? I guess as a fan, i would take it over having the season voided, but you would have to deal with asterisk talk for eternity. (maybe that is ok with most, i dunno)

And i am sure Arsenal, Norwich and Newcastle who could qualify for Europa if they won the FA Cup have also something to say.

The best scenario is that you find a way to play all remaining matches this summer, including the FA Cup. If you can't, the season gets voided. Any other scenario is a goddamn mess.

Hell. even completing the remaining 2019/2020 games in the Fall and having a shortened 2020/2021 season is more fair to every club. All English divisions, i imagine, would have to agree to that as well. And yeah, I have no idea how that works if the European competitions who likely would want the EPL clubs placed before then.

*** It's a mess. I started with a short post that just kept getting longer and longer when i considered what the mindset or position of several clubs might be.

Edited by yoladu

On 5/3/2020 at 12:37 AM, yoladu said:

I don't think even Liverpool would be happy with the 29 match season. Do they really want the trophy "awarded" to them this way? I guess as a fan, i would take it over having the season voided, but you would have to deal with asterisk talk for eternity. (maybe that is ok with most, i dunno)

While the asterisk talk would exist, it will be retarded.  Liverpool was/is clearly the champion this year and deserve to be rewarded as such.  The other positions are the tricky part of this situation.  Promotion/relegation and UCL/Europa spots are where this fight is going to get really messy.