2020 Soccer Catchall Thread

Firemans4Horn

Have these guys been training during the quarantine? I work with HS baseball players in the summer and one of the major concerns is how fit they are without a spring season and if it'll cause injuries going back to game speed/schedule without an adequate training runway. I dont think it'll be a problem but the reyna injury is interesting.

really good look for Jermaine Jones and Geoff Cameron here, coming out as anti-vaxxers. 

Aside from Clint Dempsey, name a single likable USMNT player from the last 10-12 years. And please don't say Landon Donovan.

edit: Beasley. he's the only other one I can think of. 

Ummmm..

Tim Howard

Weston McKinnie

CP

Zack Steffen

Gooch

Bradley

Omar Gonzalez

Jordan Morris

Will Trapp

John Brooks

Zardes

Arriola

Sargent

Llettget

Adams

Bill Hamid

Mihailovic

Dest

Fabian Johnson

I mean, there are plenty of likable players.  Good might be another thing.

The only players that I'm not a big fan personality-wise are Yedlin, Guzan, and Tim Chandler.

• Like 2

And a bigger question - do we really know these people? We see them on TV and in an interview here and there. If people like Lance Armstrong prove anything, it's that they can hide the fact that they are assholes really well.

Even being stupid doesn't make these guys not likeable.

Given what I've seen of these guys, most of them seem pretty likeable, including Landon Donovan.

I would just say get back to me when I've really met them in person.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2020 at 1:42 PM, mdmost said:

They've been training since early to mid April. A soccer show I listen to occasionally on the Ticket likened this to summer preseason matches. It might take a few games to get their bodies back into match form. 

It has looked like there's a bit of a gulf in terms of conditioning between certain teams. Bremen looked beat to shit against Leverkusen by the end (of course, they're a much worse team, and getting beat badly in a silent empty stadium has to be especially demoralizing).

On 5/18/2020 at 8:56 AM, Captain Ron said:

After that weekend of Fox broadcasting soccer...

i dunno. I tried watching last weekend and i have to admit i had trouble staying engaged. Not sure if was the style of play, the rustiness of the players, the tomb-like atmosphere, not really being invested in any particular team, the broadcast production quality, or maybe a combination of all of it.

Will be interesting to see how differently i feel if the Premier League comes back. Still can't believe they are attempting to come back so soon. the UK is in worse shape than France, Italy, and Spain at the moment, although they have been seeing a steady decline in deaths the last 3 or 4 weeks.

On 5/18/2020 at 9:56 AM, Captain Ron said:

After that weekend of Fox broadcasting soccer...

That's a great observation. Can't spring for a scaled down studio show? At least on the first day? Pretty major event for those of us that aren't into motor sports, UFC or impressed by a handful of dudes playing golf.

Fox is losing the rights when the season is over. They do not want to sell a league for another network. Also, the Fox Studios are in California which was a lot more restricted than other places. They've furloughed a lot of their staff and talent.

52 minutes ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

It’s actually Fox broadcasting “enhanced audio”, but I think it is really good and makes the game much more enjoyable.

i loved it.  totally changed the tone of the game.

too bad Leipzig has already played Bayern twice.  Leipzig does have Dortmund on June 20.

Chandler scored in his last game as well.  I believe the tying goal late, in a 3-3 game.

BTW, what in the holy F is Fox doing?  There's like 6 games today, and they're showing one.  They've got the rights.  They don't even have to send anyone to the stadium.  Hell, just show the game w/o announcers.  Unless I'm missing something, there's no reason that these games shouldn't - at least - be on FS2.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

There's only one game today. There's 5 tomorrow

Right.  I get that.  I'm just saying, if there are 5 games, then, A) show all of them - at least on delay and, B) put a little effort into it.  You've paid for the rights.  Put Bayern v. Dortmund on Fox, put today's game on FS1.  (They're showing a replay of something called, "2003 Gold Skills Challenge".)  Even those that don't watch soccer like many us are starving for live content.  I watched effing cornhole (no pics) last night.  

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Like 1

ESPN 2 is showing the 2012 Euro final. Spain v. Italy. This Spain team is one of the greatest ever. This capped their run of 2008 Euro, 2010 World Cup, and 2012 Euro winners. This starting lineup is sick. Off the bench in the final were Pedro,Torres, and Mata. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Jive Turkey