2020 Soccer Catchall Thread

Firemans4Horn

51 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

we will get a really good sense today.  Bayern plays Dortmund in the German Super Cup at 1:30.  it's on ESPN+.

several Carabao Cup games today.  Everton v. West Ham at 1:45 is probably the best game.

Yea.  The Sane question is solving itself with him being out for 4 weeks.  Dortmund is missing Sancho, so thats going to take some steam out of their attack.  Should still be a good one.  

Bayern look worn out. They have played a lot of soccer in a short period.  Playing Javi helped steady the midfield, and it allowed Kimmich to stay at the 6 and help the attack. Even though Tolliso scored, he is still a drop off from Goretzka and Thiago to round out playing with Kimmich. Just that little loss of precision in passes and timing, a little less effort in pressing or running down the 50/50s. the great thing about Javi is he’s totally willing to play a true 8.  Kimmich is willing, but it hurts the attack if he plays that deep. I don’t feel like Tolliso wants to put in the work defensively, he wants to score goals instead of being a full box to box mid. Maybe the increase in playing time will get him to fully commit to Hansi’s system. Cuisance is headed to Leeds, and Javi is also supposedly headed out the door. The midfield is getting worryingly thin.

Davies was better today, he and Coman just have a much better understanding together on the left.  I think Davies is feeling the weight of all these games in such a short period though.  He is being more deliberate about making those ears pinned back runs. He also isn’t tracking back as hard on opponent counters right now. Hopefully they can get him some rest.  It will probably come at the expense of a couple more BuLi losses, but Hansi is managing to get more hardware. 5 trophies in one calendar year.  Not bad for a promoted assistant. 

my bleus seem to have a bit of fun with ukraine yesterday.  @shadow_operative hero olivier's perfect hair had a couple of nice goals in his 100th cap for les bleus en route to a 7-1 friendly spanking.  my favorite was mbappe's assist on the fifth goal (5:48 in the below).  love watching him do that shit.  the one goal from ukraine was a hell of a shot as well. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 9:56 AM, MillerEP said:

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2020/10/30/21541962/soccer-match-ai-camera-bald-head-ball

Soccer match ruined when AI-controlled camera mistakes ref’s bald head for ball

Since I've shaved my head since the '90s, this really cracked me up.

PS- Did the USMNT thread get folded into this one?

As much as we complain about how dirty CONCACAF is, CONMEBOL is like a bloodsport.

When Brazilians aren't trying to break the ankles of the latest Argentine wunderkind, you have plays like this from Paraguay and others that leave players with a fractured spine.

Exequiel Palacios suffers fractured spine following "aerial challenge".

When is soccer going to give a fuck about concussions? Their current rules are extremely punitive to removing a player with a suspected head injury  

The fact that Wolves had to use a sub for a guy that had a fractured skull and that Arsenal left a bleeding, concussed David Luiz on the field for another 35 minutes is disgusting. 

• 2 weeks later...

More of a Juventus/McKennie observation than a USMNT observation, so I wanted to put it here.

I find it amazing that Weston McKennie is starting for Juventus and Adrien Rabiot is coming off the bench for Juventus. I know that they offer different things and play different positions in the midfield, but it's still just kind of crazy that an FC Dallas youth system kid is starting for Juventus while a guy who is a former PSG starter, who came up through the PSG system in current center of world soccer development is coming off the bench for the same team.

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 1.01.18 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I apparently ordered Inverting The Pyramid: The History of Soccer Tactics on Amazon.  That's what happens when you drink too much on NYE and then start watching Ted Lasso while waiting for midnight. It actually works out pretty well, because I've been wanting to learn more about soccer. Is this a good book for someone who is trying to better understand what he sees when watching Premier League games? Are there other books out there I should look at?

I’ve read dozens of books about the game but other than basic formations haven’t found tactical books very enlightening.  The game is so fluid and unscripted that it’s hard to dig deeper than generalizations.  Even USSF courses don’t move to 11v11 tactics until the C level course.  There are some decent videos about attacking or defending certain formations.  Sky generally does a good job on analysis and various NBC Sports nuggets are decent.

The things that have impacted the English game over time some of which you can spot today

Passing out from the back

High press and how to break it

Two defensive banks of four, now sometimes five at the back

increased specialization, particularly with one or two defensive midfielders

Multiple formations: 442 replaced by 433, 4321, 352.  This transition was aided by foreign coaches

Extreme levels of fitness.  The game has always been fast, English fans demand it but with the advent of the press requirements are even higher.

Some changes for the worst in my opinion:

Large reduction in physicality

Too much tippy tap; possession without ambition

Pristine pitches and lack of atmosphere- mud and snow added to the unpredictability; too many prawn sandwiches
De prioritization of the cups

Var

Didnt really answer your question but Clemson v Ohio State is boring