737 down in Iran

Gil Bang

13 minutes ago, 3adays said:

Nationalities  of those on the flight:

82 Iranian citizens.
63 Canadian citizens.
11 Ukrainian citizens (two passengers and nine crew).
10 Swedish citizens.
Four Afghan citizens.
Three British citizens.
Three German citizens.

got a source?

2 hours ago, Eastwood said:

CNN now reporting that Iran has officially stated that they will not release the black box to the US and Boeing.

I'm leaning towards accidental shoot-down.

or they were carrying explosive cargo that ignited. 

There will be cockpit transmissions to ATC broadcast in the open air with a fire and descent like that. Open pan-pan and mayday calls with a discussion of what happened. That should already be known by international authorities.

Interesting. Interesting.

Edited by CHEF DIESEL

Lotta signs point to a shoot down.

And Ukraine International flies all relatively new 737-800s.  Now, the flights are a shitshow, with people getting up and walking around like it's a lounge car, kids raising hell, all that.  Really hot Ukrainian FAs, though.  I know this because my family and I flew that carrier from Kyiv to Yerevan.  Really crappy flight, and baggage handlers in Kyiv rifled through and stole shit outta my daughter's bag.  But shit, this is bad news.  Particularly as it was a westerner-heavy flight.  

Definitely looks like it was shot down. Assuming this was an accident it is kind of surprising. The last ping FlightRadar received had the plane at ~7,000 ft. where it had just begun to turn right from runway heading. This plane had just taken off. Did they think a US military plane was taking off from inside Iran? 

24 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

The Canadian contingent most likely Iranian immigrants / naturalized Canadian citizens. I’d be surprised if there were any maple syrup / molson drinkers on the plane. 

probably Zoroastrians. J/k about that part. 

You must be unfamiliar with the ayatollah of rocknrolla 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

The Canadian contingent most likely Iranian immigrants / naturalized Canadian citizens. I’d be surprised if there were any maple syrup / molson drinkers on the plane. 

probably Zoroastrians. J/k about that part. 

Freddie Mercury’s cousins?

On a related note, do not forget the US Navy had an itchy trigger finger 30+ years ago when one of our missile ships in the Gulf shot down an Iranian passenger airliner during the Reagan administration. The US admitted fault, apologized, then paid the families a settlement.

3 hours ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

There will be cockpit transmissions to ATC broadcast in the open air with a fire and descent like that. Open pan-pan and mayday calls with a discussion of what happened. That should already be known by international authorities.

Interesting. Interesting.

Per NY Times:

Mr. Abedzadeh said the airliner had not contacted the control tower about an emergency.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/world/middleeast/iran-plane-crash-boeing-ukraine.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Yeah so Iran instantly knew it was an engine malfunction yet they never talked to ATC once the event started?  The debris field looks a little too scattered for an engine failure and pancake crash.  And of course the timing.  And no release of CVR/Black box.  And what looks like holes in the rudder.  

I’m assuming if it was a short range, heat seeking, blast fragmentation warhead then it’d likely take out an engine and start a massive fire on the way down along with peppering the control surfaces which pictures seem to support...MH17 was knocked down by a preformed blast warhead as well: https://www.onderzoeksraad.nl/en/media/attachment/2018/7/10/3ae49217f73breport_mh17_crash_appendix_nlr.pdf

Or maybe South Austin’s mom gets her lithium ion dildo batteries from Iran and her options to get them home are limited.  

Edited by Homercles

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
10 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Honestly, IMO not a real news site. Still rumors IMO.

Two things:

1. I never said it was anything more than rumors. 

2.  There aren’t a lot of real news sites anymore. 

14 hours ago, Homercles said:

Yeah so Iran instantly knew it was an engine malfunction yet they never talked to ATC once the event started?  The debris field looks a little too scattered for an engine failure and pancake crash.  And of course the timing.  And no release of CVR/Black box.  And what looks like holes in the rudder.  

I’m assuming if it was a short range, heat seeking, blast fragmentation warhead then it’d likely take out an engine and start a massive fire on the way down along with peppering the control surfaces which pictures seem to support...MH17 was knocked down by a preformed blast warhead as well: https://www.onderzoeksraad.nl/en/media/attachment/2018/7/10/3ae49217f73breport_mh17_crash_appendix_nlr.pdf

Or maybe South Austin’s mom gets her lithium ion dildo batteries from Iran and her options to get them home are limited.  

There's a very small chance this was an IR missile. 

Shotdown by a pair of SA-15 SAMs says Newsweek:

https://www.newsweek.com/iranians-shot-down-ukraine-flight-mistake-sources-1481313

The guy that pushed the button on this missile -- do you think he'll be promoted to Launch Commander for Iran's nuclear missile program?
This is a prime example of why Iran should not have nuclear bombs.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Well you’d certainly know more than me, so can you elaborate?

Just knowing the region, country in question, and the early reports, this is probably going to be a short or medium range radar-guided system (SA-6/8/11/13/14/15 etc) or it could be one of their house-made systems.  Iran has a pretty robust IADS so there's really no telling but the chances of it being a run of the mill MANPAD are low I'd say.

• Like 1