2020 Rain Thread

Hate

50 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Current radar looks insane.  I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like it.  There's a swath heading north to south from Oklahoma (sucks), a swath heading east from west Texas, a swath heading northeast from SW Texas, and a swath in Houston/Galveston expanding NW.  Ahhhhhh!!!!!!

Yea.. my raydar peen has never been so... excited... shit is going down tonight in CenTex.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Current radar looks insane.  I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like it.  There's a swath heading north to south from Oklahoma (sucks), a swath heading east from west Texas, a swath heading northeast from SW Texas, and a swath in Houston/Galveston expanding NW.  Ahhhhhh!!!!!!

Queue the scene from Twister where the meteorologist is stunned by the computer model 

48 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Raydar looks like the scene from Perfect Storm. 3 different fronts converging over Austin.

Where in the fuck is PhD when we need him most?!

Yep. We need his ass. Can’t say I’ve ever seen radar images over Texas  quite like what’s happening right now. 

3 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Fucking hell this shit sounds serious.

Austin Forcefield: Don't be too proud of this meteorological terror you've constructed.  The ability to destroy a city is insignificant next to the power of the Forcefield.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Pretty rough here. Power went off and on a few times. Then the condenser fan sped up until it sounded like it was going to lift off. I ran out and pulled the breaker on it. Anybody had that happen before? It was so loud I could hear the condenser from inside the house.

Just now, 4th_and_18 said:

Pretty rough here. Power went off and on a few times. Then the condenser fan sped up until it sounded like it was going to lift off. I ran out and pulled the breaker on it. Anybody had that happen before? It was so loud I could hear the condenser from inside the house.

I think when the Martians first attack Tom Cruise's row house in War of the Worlds? 

• Like 2

37047d74-9e50-4b1f-98cd-ce5fa51353a7_thu

You worry too much...

No biggie, outflow boundary coming in from the coast, held together, kicked up some storms.
The stuff up north won't make it here.
The stuff coming in from the west, though, is gonna be potent, but brief.

Wassa maddah?

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 2

Forcefield Manny Diaz'd this one.  Right up Austin's ass.

Severe TS warning Blano and west, heading away from us (NW).
Some of this outflow might help stabilize the air/mitigate the stuff coming in from the west.  Hope so, because that line is nasty (bowing out a bit in it's mid-south part = lotsa wind.

Edited by phdhorn

19 minutes ago, boknowstecmo said:

I think I'm right on the line of not getting a drop of rain. North Austin Lyfe!

Where in north Austin? We're in Milwood (the one by Mopac/Duval) and the light show is picking up. Dogs are going nuts with the thunder.

36 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

37047d74-9e50-4b1f-98cd-ce5fa51353a7_thu

You worry too much...

No biggie, outflow boundary coming in from the coast, held together, kicked up some storms.
The stuff up north won't make it here.
The stuff coming in from the west, though, is gonna be potent, but brief.

Wassa maddah?

Man.... thank you for logging in on this one.

I feel like everything will be fine now.

Yes, all is well.

But really.. great to hear from you,man.

22 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

Outflow boundary meeting Dryline!  Battle of the Marnes Motherfuckers!

In those matchups, the main storm line always obliterates the outflow line.  The outflow Frenches it up and allows the German main line to plow right through.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

In those matchups, the main storm line always obliterates the outflow line.  The outflow Frenches it up and allows the German main line to plow right through.

Outflow coming from the East. Dry line is the Frenchies and the BEF. 

1 hour ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Different deal, but about 25 years ago, the power pole/transformer behind my parents' house got hit by lightning.  At the time, the AC was not running.

Some time later it kicked on and made a horrendous noise, including banging in the vicinity of the breaker box.

What happened was the lightning fused the coil in the (3-phase) compressor motor.  So when the AC kicked on, it was pulling multiple amps at 440V through the breaker panel, which was causing it to vibrate against the wall in the utility closet.  Scary as shit.

The AC unit at that time was 40+ years old and working fine.  They've been through 2.5 units since.

Severe TS warning N Kendall/S Gillespie Counties.. an outflow blob went into the main line and got it pissed.  Still lots of ground to cover until it gets here, and hopefully it'll eat itself up and these will weaken a bit as they approach the more mixed air (due to these storms we just had) over us.  If not get ready for heavy rain and minor damaging here/there wind in spots (no 'naders, straight line more or less mitigates that).