2020 Rain Thread

Hate

Yeah, I think Freaky Friday.  It's the rain can't move out of Austin.  And for you far south Austin folks, you are getting payback for yesterday's miss.  Enjoy.  
Although, I'm worried that we may all get our electricity knocked out unfortunately.  

Yeah we did! My shit talking did not go unnoticed by the storm. Haven’t been out to the rain gauge, but from the rise in the pool I’m guessing close to 3”

I’ve lost power three times so far

Band of rain as sorta predicted moving into the area this a.m.  Not sure if it'll hold together, but today's forecast to be hit-miss rain.

Tomorrow a very good, almost certain chance of rain, esp. in the afternoon with the approach of the cool front.

Thurs-Sun look to be good chances as well, not everywhere but enough that almost all of us will get a few events during this period.

We are currently NOT in our "summer pattern."  Far from it.  This could change again but for now (next 10 days), cooler temps, rain in the forecast for most of the upcoming week.  Of course in Austin it never rains, and won't again, but the chances in this forecast are pretty damn good for an inch or two by the end of the weekend.

8 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Band of rain as sorta predicted moving into the area this a.m.  Not sure if it'll hold together, but today's forecast to be hit-miss rain.

Tomorrow a very good, almost certain chance of rain, esp. in the afternoon with the approach of the cool front.

Thurs-Sun look to be good chances as well, not everywhere but enough that almost all of us will get a few events during this period.

We are currently NOT in our "summer pattern."  Far from it.  This could change again but for now (next 10 days), cooler temps, rain in the forecast for most of the upcoming week.  Of course in Austin it never rains, and won't again, but the chances in this forecast are pretty damn good for an inch or two by the end of the weekend.

Lies, all lies.  Didn't get bubkus at my house in NW TravCo over the past week's worth of "rain events" and I'm expecting zero from this crap, too.  Eff Bee Caves.

It's never going to rain again.

24 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Lies, all lies.  Didn't get bubkus at my house in NW TravCo over the past week's worth of "rain events" and I'm expecting zero from this crap, too.  Eff Bee Caves.

It's never going to rain again.

Then move.  Problem solved.

Getting rain now in Bee Cave.  Where it always rains.  (Band held together).

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Your protege David was saying this morning the NAM was calling for the cold front but the other models were all calling for it to stall before it gets here. What are you hearing?

35 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

Just FYI for your reservoirs and tributaries down there.

That's really not a polite way to refer to South Austin's Mom.  

12 straight hours of noticeable precip here at our house.  Heaviest was from 5-7am, tapering off.  Looks like heaviest stuff coming down around 3pm.  Is that right?  

We're in a flash flood watch until tomorrow afternoon (I think).  Most of the rain is still going to be out just west of us, but now we're in a zone where this can easily bleed east as the front triggering it moves east as well (BTW, man the models completely, utterly nailed this rain forecast so far).  Since we're only about 70 miles east of the flooding rains this morning, and 50 miles is a meteorological "wobble", we could clearly have a pretty (no very) rainy day - to the point of minor flooding.  

This is all triggered by this #($&#@)* front, which has proven a real bastard to predict (mostly because the storm containing it has been the real bastard).  However, after mucking around in the 4 corners, it now looks like the storm will indeed do a bit of a southward dive before sweeping back N and E out of here.  Since it's looking now to do that, it means 1) more rain for our area and 2) the front will indeed go through Austin (tonight) and the temps will be cooler (again) than the more recent forecasts.  Highs Thurs. in the 70's or even 60's in some parts.  That is a mid-late fall day.  Back to warmer by Saturday but not anywhere near triples for the next week at least.

Be careful out there today (Hill Street Blues).

• Hook 'Em 2

Just a bit of an Update to this a.m.:

So this front now is almost certain to pass through some time after sunset-ish.  Before it does, the stuff right in front of it is going to be pretty heavy - that is mostly rain, I doubt there will be any severe wind/hail etc.  Just a lot of rain.

As you probably can see, shower activity sort of paused around lunch, now it's picking up again with the heating of the day.  Should be on-off all afternoon until the front gets near.  Then we're almost certainly talking a spate of torrential rain.  Won't train/last beyond an hour or so, but the ground is so saturated now it won't take much to flood.

There is still a NWS alert for as much as 12" of rain mostly to our W-SW as this front gets closer - more like Kendall, W. Blanco/Llano, Gillespie, etc.  But as I said this a.m. if one of those trains gets over us, lookout.  Next 6 hours will tell.  It could happen anywhere over to maybe just E  of 35 (say Bastrop at easternmost).  If you do any business over LWC's, just prep now (I have one in the only access to our subdivision, and it's rising).

Once the front goes through, as usual for these things, there will be lingering rain but not the heavy mess.  Then man when you get up tomorrow you'll need a jacket fur shur.

Meanwhile, keep an eye on LWC's this afternoon/evening.

58 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Holy shitballs-the rain and thunder here in the '46 are pretty intense.

nice humblebrag.  Are you on the VIP balcony at Fuddrucker's or something?  

I was leaving a restaurant and at a 360 stoplight down by Rudy's.  There was a bolt of lightning that almost made me shart.  Rattled my windows and made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.  

FYI:

Flash Flood Warning

Flash Flood Warning
TXC053-209-453-491-092230-
/O.NEW.KEWX.FF.W.0028.200909T1923Z-200909T2230Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service Austin/San Antonio TX
223 PM CDT Wed Sep 9 2020

The National Weather Service in Austin/San Antonio has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  Burnet County in south central Texas...
  Central Hays County in south central Texas...
  Western Travis County in south central Texas...
  Western Williamson County in south central Texas...

* Until 530 PM CDT.

* At 223 PM CDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing
  heavy rain across the warned area. Between 1 and 3 inches of rain
  have fallen. Flash flooding is ongoing or expected to begin
  shortly.

HAZARD...Life threatening flash flooding. Thunderstorms
           producing flash flooding.

SOURCE...Doppler radar.

IMPACT...Life threatening flash flooding of creeks and streams,
           urban areas, highways, streets and underpasses.

* Some locations that will experience flash flooding include...
  Austin, Cedar Park, Georgetown, Kyle, Buda, Burnet, Dripping
  Springs, Bertram, Anderson Mill, Tanglewood Forest, Leander,
  Lakeway, Lago Vista, Bee Cave, West Lake Hills, Hudson Bend, The
  Hills, Liberty Hill, Woodcreek, and Bear Creek.

Additional rainfall amounts of 1 to 2 inches are possible in the
warned area.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.

Excessive runoff from heavy rainfall will cause flooding of small
creeks and streams, urban areas, highways, streets and underpasses
as well as other drainage areas and low lying spots.

Excessive runoff from heavy rainfall will cause flooding of small
creeks and streams, country roads, farmland, and other low lying
spots.

&&

LAT...LON 3045 9820 3103 9829 3103 9791 3091 9782
      3002 9782 3002 9814 3033 9818 3043 9813

FLASH FLOOD...RADAR INDICATED
FLASH FLOOD DAMAGE THREAT...CONSIDERABLE

$$

BF