Crawfish Season 2020

Storm the Field

Believe it or not, due to the mild winter in South Louisiana, we're already in the opening stages of crawfish season here in Houston.  Crawfish Shack out in Crosby opened for the season this past weekend, and a couple of the seafood markets I check in on every now and then have been selling sacks for the last week or so. As you might expect, supplies are limited and prices are high, but this bodes well for market conditions by early Spring.  

Had three pounds at the Cajun Greek two weekends ago. They were good, but I don't think I'm in the right frame of mind to eat crawfish this early. They started showing up at Boyd's about three weeks ago.

Edited by Lat22

17 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Had three pounds at the Cajun Greek two weekends ago. They were good, but I don't think I'm in the right frame of mind to eat crawfish this early. They started showing up at Boyd's about three weeks ago.

Exactly. My first thought when I saw this thread was "I should pick some up to eat during the game Monday." Then I realized that football season and crawfish season should never mix.

• 3 weeks later...
Boil House is opening for the season this weekend.
Boyd's down in Texas City has been selling sacks of field run for $2.99/lb during the early part of the week. Thursday-Sunday prices tend to be about $0.50-$1.00 higher.

So is “field run” the equivalent of “free range” in chicken?

4 hours ago, TxTower said:

So is “field run” the equivalent of “free range” in chicken?

They are called that because they are allowed to run free through the crawfish fields.  This makes them much more difficult to catch -- it requires a seasoned group of crawfish wranglers who really know how to work a tiny lasso to get them rounded up and in the sack.  It may seem old-fashioned to you, but dammit, I'm a traditionalist.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Can't tell if serious. Field run means a sack of crawfish that have not been sorted for size. Usually end up with mostly small/medium.

Depending on the provider and time of the year, can also mean snakes and small turtles come complimentary with the crawfish and don't have to be purchased separately. 

On 1/15/2020 at 1:36 PM, Storm the Field said:

Boyd's down in Texas City has been selling sacks of field run for $2.99/lb during the early part of the week. Thursday-Sunday prices tend to be about $0.50-$1.00 higher.

Since this post, prices have come down about $1 at the seafood markets on the coast.

Grocery store prices in town will be presumably still be about $2.99/lb. HEB starts selling sacks this weekend. That's pretty much their standard price until late in the season.

I have no idea what most bars and restaurants that are serving right now are charging. Typical is usually around $7.95/lb or 3 for $20. 

I've gone to a friends house where the first batch or two is for the kids,  less spice, and I roll up, see a table of crawfish and proceed to dig in, only to end up with a wtf look on my face. No black potatoes or kimchee though.

If that's what the food network is spitting out these day, we need a revolution.