2020 Rock & Roll HoF Nominees

Victorious1

https://www.rockhall.com/class-2020-nominees

Who do you got?  Kind of pulling for Judas Priest to make it in this year.

• Pat Benatar*
  • Dave Matthews Band*
  • Depeche Mode
  • The Doobie Brothers*
  • Whitney Houston*
  • Judas Priest
  • Kraftwerk
  • MC5
  • Motorhead*
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • The Notorious B.I.G.*
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
  • Todd Rundgren
  • Soundgarden*
  • T. Rex*
  • Thin Lizzy*

*First time on ballot

• Pat Benatar*   maybe
  • Dave Matthews Band*  absolutely not
  • Depeche Mode   FUCK NO
  • The Doobie Brothers*  Maybe
  • Whitney Houston*  No, but she'll get in anyway
  • Judas Priest   No
  • Kraftwerk   FUCK NO
  • MC5   Fuck No
  • Motorhead*  YES 100%
  • Nine Inch Nails  No
  • The Notorious B.I.G.*  No, but he'll get in
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan  no
  • Todd Rundgren   yes
  • Soundgarden*  too soon
    • T. Rex*  yes
  • Thin Lizzy*  Oh hell yes.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

Stopped reading after Dave Matthews Band.  The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a joke.

I heard somewhere they other day that they were running away with the fan vote. Tells you a lot about current music culture.

40 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

the class includes 3 that are not rock and roll, without checking the 2 I've never heard of. it should be renamed The Random Assortment of Musical Acts That Certain Critics Like, but that doesn't sell many t-shirts   

Which two have you never heard of?

• Pat Benatar*- yes
  • Dave Matthews Band*- no
  • Depeche Mode- definitely
  • The Doobie Brothers*- amazed they aren't already in
  • Whitney Houston*- no
  • Judas Priest- definitely
  • Kraftwerk- no
  • MC5- no
  • Motorhead*- maybe
  • Nine Inch Nails- no
  • The Notorious B.I.G.*- no
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan- no 
  • Todd Rundgren- no
  • Soundgarden*- yes
  • T. Rex*- no
  • Thin Lizzy*- no, just not enough quality

12 hours ago, Sbbruin said:
  • Pat Benatar*- yes
  • Dave Matthews Band*- no
  • Depeche Mode- definitely
  • The Doobie Brothers*- amazed they aren't already in
  • Whitney Houston*- no
  • Judas Priest- definitely
  • Kraftwerk- no
  • MC5- no
  • Motorhead*- maybe
  • Nine Inch Nails- no
  • The Notorious B.I.G.*- no
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan- no 
  • Todd Rundgren- no
  • Soundgarden*- yes
  • T. Rex*- no
  • Thin Lizzy*- no, just not enough quality

Re: Thin Lizzy, had you said "not enough quantity", well maybe.  But you're just flat wrong about quality.  

While they're not my cup of tea, at least Dave Matthews Band attempts to play some form of rock 'n roll.  Whitney Houston, Kraftwerk, and B.I.G. are not rock 'n roll. They're just not.  

Glad to see though that the Doobie Bros. made it in.  Saw them in Austin a couple of months ago and they still got "it"

at some point, you Boomers will have to accept that it is not a "rock and roll" HOF anymore.  if it was, then they'd have to shut down the place since the traditional classic rock y'all pine for no longer exists.  it had its time.  but music has evolved, thankfully.  i doubt they are going to change the name of the building, so everybody just needs to accept that this is a popular music HOF, and it will induct all sorts of music acts that are deemed worthy.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 4:46 AM, South Austin said:

Stopped reading after Dave Matthews Band.  The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a joke.

i'm kind of with this guy.  love the idea of it, but they keep letting in bands that dont deserve it.  i would vote no on this entire list.  possibly thin lizzy, chaka khan, judas priest, and the doobies.

Pat Benatar not being in with some of the crap that got in front of her is a joke. 

Bang a Gong by T.Rex is still a song that makes folks get up and move.  Even if they don't know who the hell T.Rex was.

WTF does Whitney Fucking Houston have to do with Rock and Roll!

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 11:52 AM, Victorious1 said:

https://www.rockhall.com/class-2020-nominees

Who do you got?  Kind of pulling for Judas Priest to make it in this year.

• Pat Benatar*
  • Dave Matthews Band*
  • Depeche Mode
  • The Doobie Brothers*
  • Whitney Houston*
  • Judas Priest
  • Kraftwerk
  • MC5
  • Motorhead*
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • The Notorious B.I.G.*
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
  • Todd Rundgren
  • Soundgarden*
  • T. Rex*
  • Thin Lizzy*

*First time on ballot

Thin Lizzy - yes - nothing sounded like them at the time.

Depeche Mode - yes - I went for the women, but ended up liking the band live. Da'Bitch Mode.

Doobie Bros. - sure maybe - AOR mellow rock.

Whitney - one hell of a voice.

Judas Priest - hell yes - for the 9 year old in all of us.

Kraftwerk - as a fan of electronica, not feeling this one.

MC5 - yes. Before my time, but yes. 

NIN - can't believe they were not a first ballot choice.

BIG - Iconic.

Rufus - for Chaka - yep.

Todd Rundgren - I would like to hear the argument for this one, other than his renowned status.

Soundgarden - Yep.

T-Rex - the legacy of that band is undeniably important. 

DMB - hard pass. I am sure the concerts were fun, but no.

Pat Benatar - Nope. 

5 hours ago, alincoln said:

BTW, I don't care about rappers making it but Whitney Houston is ridiculous.  I can only imagine all of the insufferable divas they are going assemble on that stage for a screech fest as the grand finale.  Awful  

That's what I was saying to someone the other day. Can't wait for the comedy of tone deaf Mary J Bilge trying to belch out Saving All My Love.

9 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

I'm fine with it. BIG and Whitney absolutely deserve to be in. Judas Priest and Motorhead do too. Hopefully their day is coming.

dude.  "ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME".  Whitney and BIG shouldn't get in unless they pay the admission charge.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

dude.  "ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME".  Whitney and BIG shouldn't get in unless they pay the admission charge.

Half the members shouldn’t be in if you insist on a hard line rnr stance. That’s not what the place is, if it ever was. 

it’s all fruit from the blues tree anyway. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Stevie Van Zandt is promoting the idea of individual songs being elected into the TnR HOF. I think it's a great idea. These wouldn't be the huge hits by the big stars that are already in, but think your one hit wonder or a single song that was a massive influence by a band or artist that otherwise wouldn't get in.

I have hope that Warren Zevon will eventually be inducted, but if not Lawyers, Guns and Money should damn well be in.

5 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Stevie Van Zandt is promoting the idea of individual songs being elected into the TnR HOF. I think it's a great idea. These wouldn't be the huge hits by the big stars that are already in, but think your one hit wonder or a single song that was a massive influence by a band or artist that otherwise wouldn't get in.

I have hope that Warren Zevon will eventually be inducted, but if not Lawyers, Guns and Money should damn well be in.

Is he the singer from skynyrd or .38 special?  I always get them confused. 

😁

23 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

God dammit, every fucking year.  I wish they would just change the name so people would quit bitching about who's "rock and roll" and who isn't.

It's the Pop Music Hall of Fame.  Deal with it.

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

God dammit, every fucking year.  I wish they would just change the name so people would quit bitching about who's "rock and roll" and who isn't.

It's the Pop Music Hall of Fame.  Deal with it.

While many, perhaps most of the inductees could be construed in the "Pop" Genre, it's not the Pop Music Hall of Fame. 

Biggie, NIN, the Zombies, Radiohead, Nina Simone, Tupac, N.W.A., Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lou Reed, Joan Jett, Cat Stevens, Nirvana, Public Enemy, Paul Newman, Albert King, Alice Cooper, the Stooges, Dr. John, Jimmy Cliff, et. al.  Just a quick scan of the last 10 years...probably a third are nowhere near Pop.  

But you're right, it's certainly more Pop focused than Rock 'n Roll focused for the last couple decades.  It's so much the top selling hall of fame either.  Thankfully.  
And there is a wing that's obviously the "Oops, we didn't appreciate enough way back when..."   That's expanding quickly.  

I didn't mean the pop genre, I meant "popular music".  I could have worded it better.

There will always be blurred lines.  Let's say the rules are "rock, pop, rap, and reggae, but no jazz or country".  So what about Herbie Hancock?  What about Johnny Cash?

Sure seems like people care a lot about this institution nobody cares about.

I didn't mean the pop genre, I meant "popular music".  I could have worded it better.
There will always be blurred lines.  Let's say the rules are "rock, pop, rap, and reggae, but no jazz or country".  So what about Herbie Hancock?  What about Johnny Cash?

Why not Popular Music Hall of Fame?
There are Halls of Fame for nearly every other genre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Fair point.  And you're right, the only Hall of Fame I care more about is the Baseball Hall of Fame but I've at least visited that one.  I don't ever plan to go to Cleveland again after that happened to me there about 30 years ago.  Ironically, on the way to Cooperstown.  But yeah, having said that.....we are because rock 'n roll united infinitely more people than a particular baseball team or player ever did.  There's no asterisks on Hall of Fame inductees for drug use.  Or shit, is there?  I dunno.  Hold on.

I've been to the R'n'R HOF as well as the Pro Football HOF.  Ironically, I couldn't give a damn about the latter, but what it did do for me was give me cause to reflect.  I defy anyone of my rough age to walk through that top floor and not think back to all kinds of things unrelated to football . . . Nixon, Apollo landings, Space Shuttle accidents, the bicentennial, whatever.  It is a historical red button for one's own history.  That's what a HOF can do.

Ironically, the R'n'R HOF didn't do that so much for me.  I was far too absorbed in reading John Lennon's report cards, etc.

• 2 years later...