Tax cheats

That article is fucking bizarre.  From a report that the IRS fails to collect $381 Billion in taxes, it somehow concludes that the 122 Million US taxpayers are paying a $3000 "surtax"?

I don't think Laura Davison knows how any of this works.

As to the ads, it is theoretically possible.  If your net worth is lower than what you owe the IRS and you make an offer in compromise, your tax debt can be reduced to your net worth and paid out over time.  Lots of ins, outs, and whathaveyous there that greatly raise the likelihood that the government seizes your shit.

The only time I've personally witnessed IRS agents sealing cash registers and telling me to touch anything, pretty sure all I'm referring to "anything" and what you're referring to as "your shit" was the domainn of the LLC. Ocourse, that's just one example. It was settled under an hour with a check.

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That article is fucking bizarre.  From a report that the IRS fails to collect $381 Billion in taxes, it somehow concludes that the 122 Million US taxpayers are paying a $3000 "surtax"?

I think that's closer to the reality than not and likely the absolute eventuality. Debts passed on thru resistance and without any foreseeable equal measure resistance to counter it will end up in Bizarre Land where water ceases to flow uphill.

But can we agree those who don’t pay their share cost those who do more?  

Similar with credit card defaults or shoplifting, the losses are pushed into other fees or prices and passed along to paying customers.  Strange that someone who cheats on their taxes or doesn’t repay their obligations would likely condemn a shoplifter that makes their grocery bill go up to cover the store’s shrinkage loss.  And by strange I mean totally expected. 

In my mind just another example of a selfish culture that gives little consideration to the greater good.  That mentality is further enabled by an inclination to seek justification in a sense of victimhood or other perceived unfairness.  The credit card workout commercials bother me more than the tax ones.  Are you a victim of unfair predatory lending that enabled you to spend money that you didn’t have and couldn’t repay on stuff you didn’t need? No problem that’s someone else’s fault. In fact it’s the honorable thing to do to teach them a lesson by not paying and making them incur those losses pass those losses on to their customers that honor their obligations. 

All of this is really just finding an excuse to justify acting purely is self interest.  I don’t blame trump for this but this mentality (and it’s non-financial corollaries) contributed significantly to putting him in office. 

• Like 1

The article discussed the lax auditing of corporations and high wealth individuals whose returns are more complicated. Going after the low-hanging fruit instead of the more complicated, intricate, and powerfully owned interests is a disease that affects many disciplines.

IRS audits were at their lowest levels in decades last year.  I personally have never been audited.  Part of the reason I use an accountant to prepare my taxes.  Even though he certainly pushes the envelope, I figure his signature gives the return more legitimacy and makes it less likely I get hassled.

I did them myself for years but after my parents passed away, dealing with their estate (plus they had state income tax) I switched to a CPA firm and after the estate was settled, never bothered to go back to doing it. I actually liked poring over the booklet and learning a lot about the tax code but after everything went online, it became slightly more difficult for some reason. If you haven't guessed, I am one of those RTFM type people due to having an older brother who was a stickler for stuff like that. If you ever wanted to win in Monopoly or any other board game in our family you better know the rules inside and out. Was a bit of a shock when I met my spouse since his family was much more "wheeler dealer" but like in many relationships, we learned that the combo makes for a great team.

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

https://berniesanders.com/

Regular meetings, surprised you didn't know that. 

Glad I could help.

Maybe if you could quote the "all your monies are belong to us" part from your link, cuz I ain't gonna lie- idea sounds intriguing.

Here's an example.

https://reason.com/2013/04/18/taxation-is-theft/

See how I don't have to invent anything or misrepresent anyone's position? It's literally spelled out for you in their own words.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brown water said:

But can we agree those who don’t pay their share cost those who do more?  

Eventually over time, yes people that do not pay their share need their share covered by others.  However our annual taxes don't rise because of this.  If anything, all we do is borrow more money to cover the increased shortfall.

Regardless its bs that the IRS is stating that people are cheating and they aren't going after them.

52 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

donald trump i pay hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes GIF by Election 2016

how much you want to bet that Trump is thinking of all of the hotel taxes that are paid by hotel guests, or sales tax collected on his crappy products. But his company actually cuts the check to the govt. In eyes, that's his money.

It's not like the IRS can recoup unpaid taxes by raising service fees or anything. Those pesky taxes have to be passed by congress. 

And its not like the government has made any attempt to match spending to revenue in half a century or more, so there's no real cost to this. Doesn't make it right. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Eventually over time, yes people that do not pay their share need their share covered by others.  However our annual taxes don't rise because of this.  If anything, all we do is borrow more money to cover the increased shortfall.

Regardless its bs that the IRS is stating that people are cheating and they aren't going after them.

how much you want to bet that Trump is thinking of all of the hotel taxes that are paid by hotel guests, or sales tax collected on his crappy products. But his company actually cuts the check to the govt. In eyes, that's his money.

Property tax, business personal property tax, payroll tax, state income tax, taxes on everything thing from phone communication to waste water discharge, surcharges, fees, permits A-Z...

We all know that nobody likes to pay taxes. Nobody likes to go to the dentist or mix in a salad every once in a while either, but it’s healthy and necessary. Until there is a better system in place to hold individuals accountable and still be a collective, loosely tied to each other in “community” or “country” or whatever we want to call it, it’s the best we can do to try and create a system where most people do the right thing and bake into the modeling the spoilage for those immoral and unrighteousness unhappy people and let their extra money be their reward. All that being said, I would love to keep more of my money of course.