Shits going down with the Royals

Zombie

11 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Americans always go on an on about how they “don’t care” and I’ve never understood people being proud of not knowing what is going on in the world. Its like listening to a HS sophomore complain about how his world history class doesn’t apply today or why they need to know about the shit going on with Israel. For me, it’s not that I’m not gay or a Royal homer, just grew up in Europe and learned to say x, y, zed instead of x,y, zee.

Over a billion- that’s with a ‘b’- not only care but look to these people as the actual physical embodiment of Western culture. On the world stage these people are incredibly important to American interests abroad. Their monarchy who’s lineage has directly taken part in the most important historical events of the last 1000 years has overwhelming influenced your American culture, including ironically the notion that ‘not caring’ holds value.

Not to mention they are a great economic asset to the British taxpayers via the tourist ££££ their homes and pageantry generate. They do earn their keep in spite of what the Corbyns of the world think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G650 said:

You definitely sound like a bloke that doesn't care.

The adults shifted the conversation to history and the monarchy’s political influence from colonialism to modern day.

Go back to talking about your car or something.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

The adults shifted the conversation to history and the monarchy’s political influence from colonialism to modern day.

Go back to talking about your car or something.  

Oh dear, I do hope you are not including yourself in the so called group of "adults".

So now that we have established you not only care, but care quite a bit, please tell me what parts of the history of the British crown interest you the most. Do you want to discuss the effects of Edward Longshanks installing his son Edward Caernarfon as the first Prince of Wales, the effects of which have been felt right through Charles investiture? Elizabethan motivations for sea superiority and the effects on indigenous peoples? The late 18th century decay of the British Aristocracy and effects of the English Constitution? The Decline and Fall of the British Aristocracy by David Cannadine is an excellent source btw. Or the most pertinent Aristocratic/Monarchist clusterfuck to our times, the good old Sykes/Picot agreement, who's effects are still be felt as we speak in the Middle East.

I await your areas of interest.

Some food for thought in the meantime, for all the idiot 'Let's kill the Royals' dumbassery, I would posit that if we are going to have a bloody revolution it should be against our current democratically elected leaders. I'm neutral on Monarchy personally, but the Royals were not given a choice, they were born into what they are, whereas politicians are actively awful people by choice.

• Like 3

Speaking of the Kardashians, a couple of years ago I went to Switzerland for a few days and I was renting a room through AirBnB because a hotel room was like $400 and I’m a cheap bastard. Anyway, I noticed that the cable TV had a decent amount of American shows on, so I asked the hosts “what is the most popular American show here?” and they answered “the Kardashians”.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:08 PM, G650 said:

Yet you post in every thread mentioning them.

Yeah, that's not true. But I do frequently post in a lot of threads that are about stupid shit. You got me there, I guess.

You should stop being so defensive about loving to care about the British monarchy. It's kind of silly.

Ex wife and mother of my kids is English. She is a republican, in the British sense, meaning "down with the royals." But I bet she still knows every detail of these goings on. She used to have dreams about the Queen, and that's not uncommon over there at all. And everybody, I mean everybody, watches the Queen's speech on Christmas Day. Partially because the entire country is drunk for a whole week from Xmas to NYD, but still. 

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, that's not true. But I do frequently post in a lot of threads that are about stupid shit. You got me there, I guess.

You should stop being so defensive about loving to care about the British monarchy. It's kind of silly.

The good old "I know you are, but what am I" defense. Gotta love the classics.

35 years from now an unrecognizable Harry will be in a bar in Moose Jaw, Ontario and drunkenly say "Hey, did I ever tell you guys that I used to be the Duke of Sussex?"  Some other drunk will say "Oh yeah? Well I used to be the Queen of England!"  This will be followed by convulsive drunken laughter. 

• Like 4

Queen tries to settle shit down

What Queen Elizabeth's New Statement Means for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Future

Questions surrounding their royal titles still remain.

With a field full of journalists standing outside, a Duchess thought to be dialing in from half way around the world, and a backdrop of wall-to-wall coverage examining the potential outcome, the royal family convened one of the most extraordinary meetings in recent memory.

Prince Harry walked into a summit about his future with his brother, father, and grandmother at Sandringham today. He was also there with the head of state and two future heads of state in a meeting. The outcome of the discussions would have repercussions for the family and consequences for the UK and the monarchy for decades to come.

It would be an understatement to say that there were a lot of issues to iron out. Funding, security, logistics—all these are of great concern to the royals. Quite how this was ever going to get sorted between lunch and high tea is anyone’s guess. But, with instructions to find some kind of solution “at pace,” there was a desire to move things forward.

The result? For now, nothing but an incredibly personal and somewhat poignant statement. Issued directly from the Queen, the message was clear: The family supports Harry and Meghan but this is very “complex.” Perhaps most astonishing was the acknowledgement that the rest of the family “would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family.”

This admission spells out what has become apparent over the last week, as deep divisions within the family have been laid bare. This is not about the natural progression as Prince Charles leads his family towards a slimmed down monarchy. It is about a couple who have made a big change because they are deeply unhappy with how things have been.

Notable, too, is the staggeringly informal use from the Queen of “Harry and Meghan.” Much has already been made of whether they will retain titles in their new roles; however, the use of first names in this statement primarily reminds us all that this this statement came a grandmother writing about the future happiness of members of her family. The ultimate goal, she said, was to help them "live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family"

Talk is now of a period of “transition,” an as yet unspecified amount of time where Harry and Meghan will “spend time in Canada and the UK.” Meghan had returned to England last week for only a few days before leaving again, and for now, there is no further indication regarding how this geographic division of time will work.

Also notable was the emphasis that Harry and Meghan “do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives.” This point formed the bulk of the content on their newly-created website, which told the world how they saw their new roles working. Significantly, they appear to believe that by making this change they will no longer be required to have the same relationship with the British media that is currently in place. Whether this will be achievable if they continue to carry out duties representing Britain overseas is just one of the finer points yet to be resolved.

The bigger picture, however, is that the direction of travel for Harry and Meghan is away from the UK. Whether they will spend half of their time, some of their time, or hardly any of their time in Britain is still unclear. But they are going their own way, and nothing is going to stop them

Harry is going to regret this move very soon. What a fucking bitch he chose to marry. He was beloved by the Brits and was very involved with working with veterans. Prime example of marrying the wrong woman can fuck up your life. I know that from personal experience.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

2 minutes ago, Kermit said:

How many dicks did she make you suck?

She introduced cocaine into my life and that started my downfall including that sex phase which I don’t do anymore. Never touched a hard drug in my life until I was with her. She can fuck herself for enternity.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

I'll welcome Harry to his initial support group for former spouses of cluster B personality disorder once the time comes.  And it's gonna come, the only question is when.  

Here are 2 main moves of cluster b's-1) always have to be the center of attention, and 2) do whatever it takes to separate their target from friends, family and support groups so they can be easily manipulated.  Sound familiar?

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

I'll welcome Harry to his initial support group for former spouses of cluster B personality disorder once the time comes.  And it's gonna come, the only question is when.  

Here are 2 main moves of cluster b's-1) always have to be the center of attention, and 2) do whatever it takes to separate their target from friends, family and support groups so they can be easily manipulated.  Sound familiar?

Ya gotta wonder.