Shits going down with the Royals

Zombie

26 minutes ago, Hate said:

His mother was Diana, but there is no way his father was Charles.  It's long been rumored that he is the son of a former officer in the British Army.

ad-composite-prince-harry.jpg?strip=all&

Pretty uncanny around the eyes, nose, and mouth. By that metric his older brother looks nothing like Charles either.

Edited by bolverk

Just now, austingirl said:

I've heard that before but IMO Harry looks just like Diana's sister Sarah.

spacer.png

Regardless of royalty, they're English so they're all inbred anyways, being stuck on that island, unless they've got a bit of that Norman or Viking blood injection from a thousand years or so ago.

• Like 1

Jesus this thread.

The fact that some of y’all believe the trash published by The Sun and The Daily Mail is hilarious. They’re the equivalent of The National Enquirer and TMZ.

And as to Harry’s parentage, Harry was born in 1984. Diana didn’t meet James Hewitt until 1986. And if y’all don’t think that after the disaster that was the marriage of Charles and Diana and the rumors about Hewitt and Diana surfaced that QE2 and Charles didn’t do a DNA test then you’re naive.

They had Diana checked by a physician to confirm her virginity FFS.

And y’all are blind if you cannot see how much Harry looks like Prince Phillip and Charles.

d854736261f1661e01a35e2ce967cacf.jpg37691c2bbde7e84047188a630fef7b2e.jpg7c726c0b7c6c26cafaa9da9a968e7ba2.jpg6f2c5ea4b3489c28fe4ba1f02e155bd8.jpga6c1b6d104cfab311ee2d389b0325c7b.jpgfdcc9e130f58db4477b5c052c7e029c0.jpg714ffd15458345990e35a1b3f0998272.jpg2a5f105c01065f1474beaa98942f14a6.jpgbe466ace284c5e3ff1b8f931e326e519.jpg
e767f67d7f98ee8151a578a54da654c3.jpg

• Like 6

I think they should give up taxpayer funded palaces and housing, or at least use family money to pay that back. They can continue charity work and should receive all expenses paid for that work and travel. That should appease the public as that takes their money out of the equation and allows them to earn independently. How they intend to do that without exploiting the family is what will be tricky and what surely has Charles and the Queen worried about. 

The monarchy has mystique that the British people enjoy putting up with but I doubt they will indulge themselves further if the price they are paying seems too high. If the Sussexes seem to air all the dirty laundry, they would devalue the brand.  Interestingly, Edward was producing a series about the history of his family and palaces a while back. I remember seeing a couple of the shows. Maybe they can do something along those lines as no one seemed to be angered by those endeavors. It is going to be hard to find a way to walk a tight rope but I hope they figure it out without upsetting the applecart all together, especially before the old lady dies. Let Charles deal with the end of the Monarchy if that ends up happening. 

According to the "funding" site, the royals are only "taxpayer funded" in the most indirect sense.

The Monarch surrenders the revenues of the Crown Estate to the country, which in turn pays the bills of the royal household.

Now, one might assume that but for the monarchy, the people/country would own the Crown Estate, but I'm not sure that's a good assumption.

Chuck, as PoW, gets the revenue from the Duchy of Cornwall, straight up.

The Monarch also has the revenue from the Duchy of Lancaster, straight up.

It appears that none of these entities are taxable, but Chuck and Liz have voluntarily paid taxes on Cornwall and Lancaster since 1993.

• Like 1

I recently finished a library book about the American Invasion of England. The invasion that occurred during Queen Victoria's reign when, spurned from old NY Society, upstart new money American heiresses headed overseas and married into the British nobility. I'm not a royal watcher per se, but the ways the powerful attain, keep, and maintain power is fascinating and that time in history was one aspect of it, especially since Americans had no specific way to show exclusivity (New York had the 400, but as the heiresses proved, there was a way around that). No titles, fortunes came and went, what was a family to do? Enter the American girl and her Dad's money. Anglo-American relations have never been the same.

Oh, I've always thought Harry was Charles and Diana's son.

• Like 1

Regardless of royalty, they're English so they're all inbred anyways, being stuck on that island, unless they've got a bit of that Norman or Viking blood injection from a thousand years or so ago.

They’re pretty German. Victoria’s last name was Hanover. King George’s last name was Saxe-Coburg-Gotha which he changed to Windsor in the prelude to WWI to distance himself from the Kaiser, and the. Elizabeth Windsor married Prince Phillip of Greece and Denmark, of the house of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, who changed his name to Montbatten after his maternal grandparents around WWI (see above) when he migrated to England from Greece. Mountbatten is an anglicanization before WWI of the German house of “Battenberg”.

So if you strip away the name changes and stay inside paternyms, Prince Harry Montbatten-Windsor, Duke of Sussex would be “Prince Harry Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg-Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

But absolutely, the gene pool among royals across Europe is pretty small.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I recently finished a library book about the American Invasion of England. The invasion that occurred during Queen Victoria's reign when, spurned from old NY Society, upstart new money American heiresses headed overseas and married into the British nobility. I'm not a royal watcher per se, but the ways the powerful attain, keep, and maintain power is fascinating and that time in history was one aspect of it, especially since Americans had no specific way to show exclusivity (New York had the 400, but as the heiresses proved, there was a way around that). No titles, fortunes came and went, what was a family to do? Enter the American girl and her Dad's money. Anglo-American relations have never been the same.

Oh, I've always thought Harry was Charles and Diana's son.

Reading The Guns of August and Dreadnought gives one an odd appreciation for the absurdities of monarchy and rule by divine right.

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

They’re pretty German. Victoria’s last name was Hanover. King George’s last name was Saxe-Coburg-Gotha which he changed to Windsor in the prelude to WWI to distance himself from the Kaiser, and the. Elizabeth Windsor married Prince Phillip of Greece and Denmark, of the house of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, who changed his name to Montbatten after his maternal grandparents around WWI (see above) when he migrated to England from Greece. Mountbatten is an anglicanization before WWI of the German house of “Battenberg”.

So if you strip away the name changes and stay inside paternyms, Prince Harry Montbatten-Windsor, Duke of Sussex would be “Prince Harry Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg-Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

You left out that Lord Mountbatten, First Sea Lord and last Viceroy of India, and Phillip's uncle, was originally Prince Louis of Battenberg and a German prince, meaning the divine ruler of a German state pre-unification.  Although you sniffed all around it.  (Battenberg, berg is mountain, Mountbatten, get it?).

And Albert was a straight up kraut, leading to the panoply of kraut names you referenced.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, austingirl said:

Jesus. I know we joke about celebrities, but an "insufferable cunt who hasn't earned and doesn't deserve her wealth"? Why do you think this? I mean, she's no Oscar winner but she's worth about $5M on her own from various acting gigs. She was raised by a single mom and has a degree from Northwestern. She's spoken out for years (much longer than she's been with Harry and well before she was famous) about gender equality and women's rights - look at this article about how she was profiled on a kids' news channel as a child. 

Along with their standard vitriolic treatment of celebrities they don't like, the British tabloid press has been unabashedly racist in much of their coverage of her. Look at this Daily Mail article as one example, from when they had just started dating. I mean, this is just the headline:

Just looking at this thread there's a lot of evidence why their decision to step back and spend half their time in North America isn't just to be celebrities here. Her mom lives here and they have a baby who, I'm guessing, they don't want raised where all he's going to hear is how his mom is a money-grubbing whore who only cares about wealth and fame. 

Good thing the internet doesn’t exist.  That kid’ll never know 

5 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Jesus this thread.

The fact that some of y’all believe the trash published by The Sun and The Daily Mail is hilarious. They’re the equivalent of The National Enquirer and TMZ.

And as to Harry’s parentage, Harry was born in 1984. Diana didn’t meet James Hewitt until 1986. And if y’all don’t think that after the disaster that was the marriage of Charles and Diana and the rumors about Hewitt and Diana surfaced that QE2 and Charles didn’t do a DNA test then you’re naive.

They had Diana checked by a physician to confirm her virginity FFS.

And y’all are blind if you cannot see how much Harry looks like Prince Phillip and Charles.

d854736261f1661e01a35e2ce967cacf.jpg37691c2bbde7e84047188a630fef7b2e.jpg7c726c0b7c6c26cafaa9da9a968e7ba2.jpg6f2c5ea4b3489c28fe4ba1f02e155bd8.jpga6c1b6d104cfab311ee2d389b0325c7b.jpgfdcc9e130f58db4477b5c052c7e029c0.jpg714ffd15458345990e35a1b3f0998272.jpg2a5f105c01065f1474beaa98942f14a6.jpgbe466ace284c5e3ff1b8f931e326e519.jpg
e767f67d7f98ee8151a578a54da654c3.jpg

Most of those comparisons look nothing alike. There are a couple that you can see some resemblance but most are just two pictures of them dressed similar and in the same pose.

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Jesus this thread.

You mean the National Enquirer that exposed John Edwards secret child destroying his political career and purchased Trumps affair story to protect him? Right. 

Tabloids in Britain are political tools. There are 50 years of court cases that will give you a better idea what these things do.Think of these entities as Fox News, because they are literally the impetus for it. In the UK their 'journalist' are not afforded the same protections from tort and libel. There must be a kernel of truth or you will get sued and lose, which happens. Again, the game is between editors and the Family where half of the prize is just getting them to respond in court to allegations that are verifiable and embarrassing. They present a grain of truth in a sea of innuendo and opinion. They will print misleading stories to instigate court cases so the actual facts will be put in the public record, then pay $$ when they lose.

Im not saying they are journalistic in any way, but rather than make things up they tend over report and embellish to embarrass. 

You can believe whatever suits you, but the overwhelming opinion of this woman is that she's acting like a movie star rather than a public servant. She holds an archaic and gendered position in a monarchy and she is bound by the Duty of her position, something she seem to want to ignore. Aslo, everyone supposedly really loves Harry so she might have automatically received a 'bitch tag' just being the new American wife.

Again, 90% of Brits don't have anything bad to say about her: she's pretty, photos well, the kids are cute. 

• Like 1

Arguing with somebody like Bama Chick (or any of the other regulars in the cloak room) is inviting a shit like like stench in here....just spray some cloak room spray and  be done.  

I don't care about the monarchy in England but when they blow up like this it's hard not to notice given how many people do care deeply.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

You left out that Lord Mountbatten, First Sea Lord and last Viceroy of India, and Phillip's uncle, was originally Prince Louis of Battenberg and a German prince, meaning the divine ruler of a German state pre-unification.  Although you sniffed all around it.  (Battenberg, berg is mountain, Mountbatten, get it?).

And Albert was a straight up kraut, leading to the panoply of kraut names you referenced.

Lord Mountbatten was assassinated by Irish terrorists in 1979. The old gent was taking his teenage grandson out boating in Ireland when a boobytrap bomb killed them both.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Listening to Americans misunderstand the British monarchy is one of my favorite pastimes.

You obviously have a working knowledge of great Billy Crystal roles, so...respect.  But your "pastime" is misguided.  It's not that we misunderstand, it's that we just don't care.  

I'm sure you have to photograph some watches or something for another thread, but you mentioned one of my favorite books about Melissa Manchester, so much rep...

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

You obviously have a working knowledge of great Billy Crystal roles, so...respect.  But your "pastime" is misguided.  It's not that we misunderstand, it's that we just don't care.  

I'm sure you have to photograph some watches or something for another thread, but you mentioned one of my favorite books about Melissa Manchester, so much rep...

Americans always go on an on about how they “don’t care” and I’ve never understood people being proud of not knowing what is going on in the world. Its like listening to a HS sophomore complain about how his world history class doesn’t apply today or why they need to know about the shit going on with Israel. For me, it’s not that I’m not gay or a Royal homer, just grew up in Europe and learned to say x, y, zed instead of x,y, zee.

Over a billion- that’s with a ‘b’- not only care but look to these people as the actual physical embodiment of Western culture. On the world stage these people are incredibly important to American interests abroad. Their monarchy who’s lineage has directly taken part in the most important historical events of the last 1000 years has overwhelming influenced your American culture, including ironically the notion that ‘not caring’ holds value.

Edited by Doc Reeves

You grew up in Europe, I think that informs your perspective more than both you and I realize, and I very much respect that.  My ancestors did their damndest to take out British Royalty.  And I couldn't be more proud.  Religion, Monarchy, Irrelevant Corporation, Shopping Malls.  The only institutions I respect are the ones smart enough to know they have run their course and are at their end.  As a student of history, trained at a rather respectable college where I teach to this day, I can certainly appreciate their influence on Western civilization and am borderline grateful for it.  But don't equate that with this zoo going on right now.  You can't claim their positive influence and demand my respect for it, without admitting the British Monarchy visited more suffering and oppression than any other institution on the face of this planet and it will never be equated.  This recent lot seems nice enough, but when they are all gone from this Earth...we will have cause for celebration.  We don't care because their influence exhausted itself long ago, except the part of exploitation and colonial evil.  But we need your running commentary on who wore what to what royal ball 

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You grew up in Europe, I think that informs your perspective more than both you and I realize, and I very much respect that.  My ancestors did their damndest to take out British Royalty.  And I couldn't be more proud.  Religion, Monarchy, Irrelevant Corporation, Shopping Malls.  The only institutions I respect are the ones smart enough to know they have run their course and are at their end.  As a student of history, trained at a rather respectable college where I teach to this day, I can certainly appreciate their influence on Western civilization and am borderline grateful for it.  But don't equate that with this zoo going on right now.  You can't claim their positive influence and demand my respect for it, without admitting the British Monarchy visited more suffering and oppression than any other institution on the face of this planet and it will never be equated.  This recent lot seems nice enough, but when they are all gone from this Earth...we will have cause for celebration.  We don't care because their influence exhausted itself long ago, except the part of exploitation and colonial evil.  But we need your running commentary on who wore what to what royal ball 

We Americans have no ground to stand on when it comes to unimaginable evil in the face of history. I don’t ask you to respect the Roalys per se, rather to recognize that their influence and how it directly benefits the United States. 
Simply, what is going on right now 
isnt about balls, pageantry or who is fucking who, this is about power. 

I’d respect the decision if they fully abdicated. That’s their choice.

Subordinates can’t change their role from full time to part time without approval from the boss. The boss being the queen, or ultimately the people. 

They’re trying to have their cake and eat it too. 

8 minutes ago, CDAK said:

I’d respect the decision if they fully abdicated. That’s their choice.

Subordinates can’t change their role from full time to part time without approval from the boss. The boss being the queen, or ultimately the people. 

They’re trying to have their cake and eat it too. 

I have no clue how the Queen and her people think, but I imagine that they're happy to still have them in the fold even if only part time. They obviously have a lot of star power and bring seemingly positive attention to the crown for their charitable work notwithstanding the negative local press. William and Kate seem pretty boring and dull, so having some charisma added from the other sibling and spouse seems like a good thing for the crown. 

Edited by Zombie

9 minutes ago, Zombie said:

I have no clue how the Queen and her people think, but I imagine that they're happy to still have them in the fold even if only part time. They obviously have a lot of star power and bring seemingly positive attention to the crown for their charitable work notwithstanding the negative local press. William and Kate seem pretty boring and dull, so having some charisma added from the other sibling and spouse seems like a good thing for the crown. 

If the Queen and her people feel that way, it should have been no problem to get the switch to part time approved. Harry and Meghan didn’t get approval.

54 minutes ago, CDAK said:

If the Queen and her people feel that way, it should have been no problem to get the switch to part time approved. Harry and Meghan didn’t get approval.

From what little I've read, it seemed they were in the process of getting approval with the queen et al when some staff person leaked it to the media causing H/M to preempt the media without giving grandma and dad the heads up. But who really gives a shit. They'll have no problem making tens of millions with or without approval. 

From what little I've read, it seemed they were in the process of getting approval with the queen et al when some staff person leaked it to the media causing H/M to preempt the media without giving grandma and dad the heads up. But who really gives a shit. They'll have no problem making tens of millions with or without approval. 

Yes, Dan Wootton of “The Sun” was about to report their plans and H&M released their statement to deprive him of his scoop.

And, not for nothing, Wootton is close friends with Christian Jones - Wills and Kate’s press/comms secretary.

No one except the people involved know how long H&M have been in discussion about their plans but the website they launched in conjunction with their announcement was not some last minute thrown together job. So it’s pretty obvious the discussions were pretty far along.

Seems a fairly reasonable response - a journalist who has been less than kind in his past coverage of them (who works for a paper they are currently suing) was about to report their plans. If they let his story be the first one to announce then whatever narrative he pushes would be the one that sticks with the public. So they beat him to the punch to have their plans announced with the narrative they wanted.

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

You definitely sound like a bloke that doesn't care.