Airsoft thread

Grimas

Searched but didn't a thread on Airsoft...  My teens are now getting in to it and figured there was some knowledge to be shared on here...

Made the mistake on buying manual, spring loaded rifles for the kids but they a) have barely the strength to cock the guns and b)get hammered by all their friends with gas/electric ones...

Now that I've started shopping for better guns, the versions and accessories for airsoft are as bad or worse than when buying real guns...  Any helpful tips?  (Gas vs. electric? Specific brands to get/avoid?) 

Just got one of them a Glock 17 Gen 4 with gas but the other one wants a rifle... I was just assuming that in the indoor range, the larger the mag is best so you can just keep pumping out bb's downrange...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

been thinking of getting one of the same model as one of my real pistols to practice draw, lining up sights and dry firing.  The last part may not be helpful depending on the trigger.

You can get some C02 bb pistols that are pretty good for that, to include the trigger.  Have to read the reviews and recs.

1 hour ago, Grimas said:

Lesson learned from playing first indoor session - don't wear shoes without some tread on them.  Flat rubber soles, bb's and smooth concrete floors don't like each other...

I haven't seen you post before.  I think I would have remembered.

• 3 months later...

I'm shopping for an airsoft gun for my 10yo son.  We also started with the single shot spring loaded guns.  We bought a kit with a pistol and an AR.  The pistol has already broken.

There are a lot of guns available online.  I think we are looking for an electric (AEG) SMG style gun for him and an AEG pistol for me.  I think I want full metal body for the pistol, but that might be too heavy for the SMG.  Budget is up to $200 for the SMG and maybe $100 for the pistol.

Is there anywhere you can handle these guns like a gun store?  Amazon has a no return policy.  Academy has a 60 day return policy if it is in re-sale-able condition.  

• 3 months later...

After looking at the prices on these things, I usually just go and buy an actual gun.  Always wanted all of my buddies to get one so we could go shoot each other at the ranch but the upfront cost to even get started for me would put me around the price of another AR build.  Oh well.

• 3 years later...

Back to the ? about returns, Evike allows RMA's however the gun has to be in 100% pristine / resellable condition.

Christmas for Monster was __X__ & he actually wanted __Y__ , so I did the RMA thing (shipping was @ my expense).

He has 2 guns now & I also ordered a pair of Glock 19x's, one for him + one for me. "Green Gas", & that's something I have to do a bit more research on to see how it is different from cO².

Even though it has been decades since i played competitively, I come from the world of paintball (was a very limited member of a Pro-Am team when I lived in South Florida) & that was 99.9% refillable cO² tanks for my AutoMag.

Anyhow, as I get deeper into this stuff, I do enjoy the idea of MilSim & themed play vs. simply going out to spray & pray.

A note for those going electric, pay attention to the batteries & other relateds:

1. Not all guns come with even a single battery & / or charger. You will probably want 2 batteries so you can charge one while on field with the other.
1a. As soon as you get to the field, look around for any available receptacle so you can get to that when needed, will not have to track down field staff who may be unavailable or busy, etc.
2. There are 2 different connectors for the batteries, so pay attention to what you need. If you have the wrong battery for your gun, there ARE adapters to go from A to B, however they may need more battery compartment space than the gun has available.
3. Weight... the better gun builds aren't only licensed for appearance, they have a solid look / feel / dimensions / weight & you're probably gonna want a sling for lugging that critter around all day.
4. Magazines... there's a "Mid Cap" & High Cap" variety, "Cap" meaning capacity & that's exactly what it reads, rounds contained.
& Given the cost for the mags, you won't be reloading & ignoring your empties in the field as though you are on a house - to - house in Bagdad & it's taxpayers footing the bill.

Also... the gun he got last year had some sort of a technical issue & I had to order a repair part that was supposedly better than the factory guts. The Texas Paintball shop has already installed this item & we are replacing the item they switched in (I am not fully clear on all of the sausage making for that process)..

PS: There ARE Speedloaders available & the BB's come in a biodegradable product.

I have only been to play 1× & that was when Monster had a birthday event in Jan '23, so I got in on 2 rounds. For the Austin area, Texas Paintball in Jonestown seems to be the best facility however it's a haul for is driving up from the boonies of Dripping Springs & I don't think many other fields exist around Central Texas. Most only do AirSoft on Sundays or occasional special events, Paintball all other days.

~discuss~

f49f1008aaec531654c4360a52bfc7f9.jpg
.0772ffadfbd0477ae5594f51941b4848.jpg