H-E-B is No. 1 U.S. Grocery Chain

atomheartbevo

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/h-e-b-is-no-1-u-s-grocery-chain-new-data-study-says/

On Wednesday, national data science firm dunnhumby ranked Texas-based H-E-B as the number 1 grocer in the U.S. for the first time.

According to dunnhumby, H-E-B topped its list which ranked the grocers based on the annual Retailer Preference Index, or RPI. The index evaluates retailers based on several factors, including price, quality, convenience and speed.

“One of the most important findings is that leading traditional regional grocers are experiencing a resurgence in customer preference, by winning with relevance and convenience,” said Jose Gomes, president of North America for dunnhumby. “If they can compete on price and quality — the value core for grocers — they are especially well-positioned to fend off the growing threat of nontraditional players. This also leaves them better insulated against an economic downturn. In the end, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to winning in this market, and retailers with customer-first strategies are most likely to fare best.” 

The 2020 ranking of top U.S. grocery chains are:

1. H-E-B
  2. Trader Joe’s 
  3. Amazon
  4. Market Basket
  5. Wegmans
  6. Costco
  7. Aldi
  8. Sam’s Club
  9. Walmart
  10. Publix

spacer.png

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Native Horn said:

Agree 100% with this assessment.  Also reminds me I need to go pick up dinner.  Anybody know if they're open today?

When I visit family in Houston, and we inevitably end up at a Krogers or Randalls (although more and more HEBs are popping up), I don't know what it is overall, but it just bugs me.  And not just the "put in your phone number to get the discounted price we have listed on the shelf" either. 

It's worse when we visit other states.

1 minute ago, hornbri said:

Why the ? in the subject? Didn't we all already know this?

Fixed (And fixed the list).  Did thread originally on tablet and accidentally added that.

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

SEC! folks will try to talk up Publix, which is better than Kroger, but not by much. And that's not saying a lot. HEB slays Publix. 

Yep.  And we find ourselves doing the curbside service with HEB most of the time these days.

HEB is (kind of) to other grocery chains what Walmart was to TG&Y.  Wait, that's not a good comparison.

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

So if there's some fuel discount given with the normal phone numbers, is that guy getting free gas?

I'm 100 percent gonna try that next time I'm at a Kroger-affiliated gas pump. At any given time, the discount might be maxed out. 

(Shell stations link to Kroger cards. Maybe others.)

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

So if there's some fuel discount given with the normal phone numbers, is that guy getting free gas?

No idea. I only knew about entering it when in the store for discount prices. didn't know you could get discounted gas with it since the only Randall's I've ever been to is the one on 35th. 

2 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I really wish we had HEB in Dallas. Get it together damnit

No shit. I was visiting a friend there for an ou sucks weekend, and we went to a fucking Kroger for our supplies. I was disgusted as soon as I walked in the door, and drunkenly offered to drive south to the nearest HEB(Georgetown probably)  in order to buy real food. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Wait, Market Basket still exists?  We used to have them out here WAY back in the day, but they all disappeared.  I assumed they went out of business.  

Not surprised the big ones out here- Ralphs, Vons, and Albertsons aren't on there.  They are all taking a shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

When I visit family in Houston, and we inevitably end up at a Krogers or Randalls (although more and more HEBs are popping up), I don't know what it is overall, but it just bugs me.  And not just the "put in your phone number to get the discounted price we have listed on the shelf" either. 

It's worse when we visit other states.

I feel like I am a third world country if there is not an HEB in shooting distance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

SEC! folks will try to talk up Publix, which is better than Kroger, but not by much. And that's not saying a lot. HEB slays Publix. 

when people talk about publix they talk about fried chicken and sub sandwiches.  not about the groceries.  tells you all you need to know.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Maybe now they’ll expand into Dallas...

NO SHIT.

Come on guys, I know it's a saturated, competitive market, but sack up and get this thing going.  I do like Market Street.  Their butchers have a great selection.  Carry dry-aged beef.  And there is a bar in the store.  You can get a cup or two, then carry on with the rest of your shopping.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Why don’t you DFW folks go to Central Market? I fucking love that place. When I found out we were moving to Fort Worth, I was less devastated after finding out they had a CM

We/I do - but it's in Plano and I'm up in Frisco.  There are closer options when time is short.  Used to take the kids there all the time when they were little.  Between that place and Costco, for a time I had to put toothpicks in their food to get them to eat.

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

NO SHIT.

Come on guys, I know it's a saturated, competitive market, but sack up and get this thing going.  I do like Market Street.  Their butchers have a great selection.  Carry dry-aged beef.  And there is a bar in the store.  You can get a cup or two, then carry on with the rest of your shopping.  

Mr Butt seems intent on eradicating Kroger from Houston first. It almost seems personal. Here in the Heights area, he's built one at each ended of the area surrounding the largest Kroger in Texas. It's working -- that place is like a ghost town now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Why don’t you DFW folks go to Central Market? I fucking love that place. When I found out we were moving to Fort Worth, I was less devastated after finding out they had a CM

On the whole, IMHO, CM is more niche/high end than full-service grocery store. It is good for lots of things, but not everything. They have the life-altering bulk items (fresh almond and honey roasted butters, spices, tea, coffee, grains, flours, etc), and their butcher block & fishmonger is my go-to meats and fish. Those are awesome. It has some of the “Shit that HEB Makes” but not all the “Shit HEB Makes.” I can get my chili meat, peppers, and veg at CM, but they don’t sell Fritos or shredded chee (and I ain’t putting Xochitl chips or artisanal chedder in my frito pie) so I’m making another stop. They’re great when I need a fresh loaf of bread to accompany a homemade meal like French onion soup or bolognese or need a Challah loaf to stale for French toast, but not a loaf of sammich bread for my kid’s lunches during the week. Hosting a party and need fine meats and cheeses for the hors d’oeuvres? Run out of Whataburger ketchup or mustard? Yep, they got you. Run out of Franklin BBQ sauce? Nope, get on Amazon. All in all, CM is a great and I get a lot of stuff there, but we also have to make a regular grocery run as well. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

We/I do - but it's in Plano and I'm up in Frisco.  There are closer options when time is short.  Used to take the kids there all the time when they were little.  Between that place and Costco, for a time I had to put toothpicks in their food to get them to eat.

Yeah, and the CM in Plano sucks compared to CM in Dallas on Lovers Lane. Fortunately I work near Lovers, so I can swing by after work on my way home. But you’re right: does take extra planning.

And I’ll second your thoughts on Market Street. Their fresh prep foods are tasty. 

41 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I have a CM not far from me at Preston and Royal but that motherfucker stays insanely packed. I go to trader joes for a ton of things but usually stop at Tom Thumb for convenience on some things TJ doesn't have. I just want an HEB

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dutch said:

Their fresh prep foods are tasty. 

When I'm in a pinch and short on time:  MS is always a safe bet

• Daughter:  sushi rolls
  • Son:  fried catfish/macaroni
  • Wife:  smoked turkey, green beans, and their spicy cabbage they make
  • Me:  Pho station is the tits
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Publix sucks.   Been to a few in Florida and in some of the more wealthier zip codes where they have comp from the Whole Foods, etc and they are horrible compared to what HEB counters with here in Texas where a similar set up exists.