H-E-B is No. 1 U.S. Grocery Chain

atomheartbevo

49 minutes ago, yoladu said:

so practical question: why are there no HEBs in Dallas?

I've heard it is because DFW is one of the most competitive markets in the country.  Krogers, Tom Thumb/Albertsons (which were separate chains until about 5 years ago), Winco, Walmart (supercenters and neighborhood markets), Aldi's made a big entry, almost every Target has a grocery section, plenty of Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joe's, plus Fiesta, other ethnics, and all the discount grocers.  Supposedly one reason that global giant Lidl has put on hold its expansion into Texas (which is a shame, because they've bought the land in San Antonio to bring much needed competition to HEB.)

So instead HEB has focused on putting more upscale Central Markets in DFW (before Market Street made their big push.)  Lotta wealthy households in the metro.  But also adding HEB on the fringes of DFW suburbs where not many standard competitors are established yet.  Ennis, Waxahachie, Cleburne, Burleson, Granbury, and they just opened in Hudson Oaks (down the street from "Southwest Ford, in WeatherFORD.")  Rumors that they may next move into far north Fort Worth, west of I-35w.  Another rumor is for the NW corner of 121 and Cheek-Sparger on the Colleyville/Euless line, almost smack dab in the middle of the Metroplex, but that's probably going to be another Central Market.

Edited by clapclapclap

7 hours ago, Iceman said:

Albertsons and Safeway merged a few years ago.  those are under the same flag now, along with King Soopers in the Colorado market. 

Ralphs is part of Kroger. 

King Soopers is still under Kroger. Because ive used my Kroger card there. 

14 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I remember seeing a closed down Food Lion when I was little but don't remember ever going. How was that place?

The one I saw was like a depressing discount place, but that was maybe 5 years after the ABC 20/20 scandal had really burned the chain.  Depending on who you believe, they either:

1. Got busted changing expiration dates and bleaching old meat to hide odor, caught by an undercover TV crew that got hired and wore hidden cameras.

2. Were setup by 20/20 and unions (they were non-union) with selective editing and the undercover reporters staging incidents.  The court case did reveal unaired footage of the undercover reporters instigating illegal actions and the employees refusing to cooperate.

An interesting case.  The company is still around in the Southeast but the story killed their national expansion and they never fully recovered.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1999-oct-21-mn-24678-story.html

https://www.aim.org/publications/special_reports/foodlion.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

HEB got a huge plug in Nexflix's Messiah. Even the chosen one gets His grub there.

I still don't like the layout of Mueller, but their beer section is better than 100% of other stores including specs and total wine.

HEB West Alabama has a great wine and beer section. This store also has the best yoga pants show in town, hands down 

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Anyone have a Piggly Wiggly in their town while growing up in the 80-90s? Was hoping to see one in Stranger Thangs.

Yep. It died around the same time as Monkey Ward and TG&Y when Walmart came to town. Come to think of it, they might've survived a little longer - maybe became an IGA. The building is now occupied by a fitness place, a Dollar General, and a Dickey's.

4 hours ago, blacklab said:

We had Piggly Wiggly in Arlington when I was a kid. Was the closest grocery store to our house so we went there all the time.

Albertsons moved in nearby and it went out of business shortly thereafter.

In the 60’s - early 80s, Arlington had Piggly Wiggly, Winn Dixie, Albertson’s, A&P, and Safeway.  

I loved the Winn Dixie (started out as Buddie’s) at Park Row and Bowen just north of Joe Bailey Junior High.  You could by a gallon jug of milk for ma , Schlitz for the old man, Briggs & Stratton powered mini bikes, shawtgurn shells and assorted hardware. 

Edited by deadshank

A couple points of clarification as I used to deal with a lot of these grocers for work:

Kroger Owns (in addition to the “Kroger” banner):

-Harris Teeter 

-King Sooper’s

-Food 4 Less 

-Mariano’s 

-Fry’s 
-Fred Meyer

-Dillon’s 

-Smith’s 

-Ralph’s 

-QFC

-Roundy’s

Albertsons Owns (in addition to the “Albertsons” banner):

-Acme

-Shaw’s 

-Jewel-Osco

-Safeway

-Tom Thumb

-Randall’s 

-Market Street 

-Haggen

-Amigos

It depends on the situation too.  I have a shitty neighborhood HEB at Manchaca and Slaughter.  I mean shitty as in a couple days before Christmas, they were out of celery.  For two days.  Before New Years?  Out of blackeyed peas (dried), again for a couple of days.  It doesn't have a butcher and just sucks in general, it's like going to the damned DMV.  So if I'm going to buy stuff for a meal (meat, produce) I generally go to the Randall's that's 5 minutes from my house.  They upgraded their store recently and added a butcher/seafood counter, and while their produce isn't top notch, they generally at least have some.
I live in Manchaca and that is my least favorite HEB. I take the drive to the HEB+ in Kyle and use curbside. If I just need something quick, then the Buda is my go-to. The South Park store will be opening soon. Curious to check out their bbq...yeah, 4 HEBs within 15 mins from my house.

1 minute ago, plimon said:
On 1/9/2020 at 1:55 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:
It depends on the situation too.  I have a shitty neighborhood HEB at Manchaca and Slaughter.  I mean shitty as in a couple days before Christmas, they were out of celery.  For two days.  Before New Years?  Out of blackeyed peas (dried), again for a couple of days.  It doesn't have a butcher and just sucks in general, it's like going to the damned DMV.  So if I'm going to buy stuff for a meal (meat, produce) I generally go to the Randall's that's 5 minutes from my house.  They upgraded their store recently and added a butcher/seafood counter, and while their produce isn't top notch, they generally at least have some.

I live in Manchaca and that is my least favorite HEB. I take the drive to the HEB+ in Kyle and use curbside. If I just need something quick, then the Buda is my go-to. The South Park store will be opening soon. Curious to check out their bbq...yeah, 4 HEBs within 15 mins from my house.

If I’m going by myself for a regular shopping trip I go to the one in Circle C, it’s only a mile or two further.  But my wife doesn’t like going with me to that one either, because yoga pants.  

If I’m going by myself for a regular shopping trip I go to the one in Circle C, it’s only a mile or two further.  But my wife doesn’t like going with me to that one either, because yoga pants.  
Oh yeah, wife calls it the Gucci HEB. Parking is tight there, so are the yoga pants.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, deadshank said:

I loved the Winn Dixie (started out as Buddie’s) at Park Row and Bowen just north of Joe Bailey Junior High.

Well if this is the promised land, I've had all I can stand
Wish I was down in Houston town tonight (said no one ever)
No I just don't fit in, and I'll never come back again
But I'm busted here and got Winn-Dixie on my mind

55 minutes ago, plimon said:
1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Oh yeah, wife calls it the Gucci HEB. Parking is tight there, so are the yoga pants.

That one is solid, but I have to propose that the one at 360/2244 is the best for eye candy.  The one at Hancock obviously has the UT talent, but I'm just getting too old for that now.  

I predict the one on Lake Austin Blvd. shall rule them all though.  I can't wait for that thing to open up.  

44 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Try Austin when you get the chance. But frankly, I dig Texas Pecan the most.

I like the San Antonio blend.  Wife likes the Houston.  yes, we both agree on the Texas pecan.

MMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

That one is solid, but I have to propose that the one at 360/2244 is the best for eye candy.  The one at Hancock obviously has the UT talent, but I'm just getting too old for that now.  
I predict the one on Lake Austin Blvd. shall rule them all though.  I can't wait for that thing to open up.  

My local HEB is Village Center. I realized a few years ago that if you shop around 9-10 on a weekday morning...all the yoga moms are there after dropping the kids off at school and getting their workout in. It’s spectacular.
I only get to do that around the holidays.

23 hours ago, blacklab said:

We had Piggly Wiggly in Arlington when I was a kid. Was the closest grocery store to our house so we went there all the time.

Albertsons moved in nearby and it went out of business shortly thereafter.

Didn't that Piggly Wiggly turn into a Winn Dixie?

Edited by tigol
Damn, that might be the most Southern thing I've ever typed.

There was an article about this after it happened. HEB left trailers full of food in strategic locations and flew in drivers via helicopters to get food to the people quicker. The had a contingency plan for natural disaster scenarios and executed it perfectly. They opened stores within a day or so and had workers brought in from other stores. Quality company that cares about its employees and customers.

They also altered the supply chain to get more staples in those stores in impacted areas.