H-E-B is No. 1 U.S. Grocery Chain

atomheartbevo

7 hours ago, RiceOwl said:

A couple points of clarification as I used to deal with a lot of these grocers for work:

Kroger Owns (in addition to the “Kroger” banner):

-Harris Teeter 

-King Sooper’s

-Food 4 Less 

-Mariano’s 

-Fry’s 
-Fred Meyer

-Dillon’s 

-Smith’s 

-Ralph’s 

-QFC

-Roundy’s

Albertsons Owns (in addition to the “Albertsons” banner):

-Acme

-Shaw’s 

-Jewel-Osco

-Safeway

-Tom Thumb

-Randall’s 

-Market Street 

-Haggen

-Amigos

Who own da Chiefs?

On 1/9/2020 at 4:14 PM, 1978horn said:

There was an article about this after it happened. HEB left trailers full of food in strategic locations and flew in drivers via helicopters to get food to the people quicker. The had a contingency plan for natural disaster scenarios and executed it perfectly. They opened stores within a day or so and had workers brought in from other stores. Quality company that cares about its employees and customers.

They did something like this on a smaller scale in Wimberley after the 2015 flood.  This was before they had opened (or even gotten approval for, I think) the Wimberley store.  8am on Memorial Day, and they had two huge trucks packed with supplies in the HS parking lot and store managers from around Texas there helping out.  They are amazing.  

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

That one is solid, but I have to propose that the one at 360/2244 is the best for eye candy.  The one at Hancock obviously has the UT talent, but I'm just getting too old for that now.  

I predict the one on Lake Austin Blvd. shall rule them all though.  I can't wait for that thing to open up.  

dazed and confused GIF by Complex

On 1/10/2020 at 3:47 PM, clapclapclap said:

Rumors that they may next move into far north Fort Worth, west of I-35w. 

That 287 corridor is growing like crazy. New HS and a new Walmart based shopping center in the last couple years. An HEB would crush there. That Walmart is the only grocery store for 10 miles. There's also a new $4b 10,000 home development being built a couple miles North of there in Rhome. 

Edited by RPM

On 1/10/2020 at 5:26 PM, MAUFRAIS said:

Gattis works too.

459-2222

That number was ingrained in my brain due to incessant commercials.

But the good thing was the number for a cab was 452-9999. So I could always remember the number for a cab no matter how drunk I was.

(Austin 80s and 90s).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2020 at 1:46 PM, MissingInAction said:

Totally agree on the bullshittery of the Mueller location's entire design down to the parking lot. Its only a mile aaway but I still go to the Allendale location because the parking is great, and I know where everything is. Usually in and out in 15 minutes.

100%. Mueller is the ugliest HEB in town. How is the BBQ/Beer end so nice but the actual grocery side looks like a crossfit warehouse. Allandale is a good one, for being in such a busy area there sure is parking all the time, and quick service.

I try to keep it real and stay to my neighborhood E. 7th location. They finally finished the updates and the beer section is great, I like it. Even though I've heard (white) people complain about how shitty it is. The clientele is changing rapidly, obviously.

In theory, I'm thankful that there are still people in Houston that shop at Randall's and Kroger, because monopolies are bad. Even benevolent, Texas-centric monopolies.

Confused, but thankful. My hat's off to you, idiots. You're really taking one for the team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Allandale is a good one, for being in such a busy area there sure is parking all the time, and quick service.

When are ya'll going? That's my HEB and there's been a dozen times in the past year when there was not a single parking spot in the entire lot...from 2222 to Tomlinson's at the far end of the shopping center.  The only HEB with worse parking is the North Lamar Central market. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

When are ya'll going? That's my HEB and there's been a dozen times in the past year when there was not a single parking spot in the entire lot...from 2222 to Tomlinson's at the far end of the shopping center.  The only HEB with worse parking is the North Lamar Central market. 

I either go on my lunch break or after 9 pm. 

As much as I love the HEB at San Felipe and Fountainview (although the parking sucks) for most things, they can't seem to stock Romaine lettuce that's worth a damn.  I'm guessing it's on purpose to get people to buy the prepackaged lettuce in a bag instead.  Kroger and the nearby Rice both have higher quality lettuce.  Of course, it's for Mrs. HouTex who is extraordinarily picky about her lettuce.

54 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

My HEB as well.  I see the antique mall is going away, maybe they can build a parking garage there, because that HEB is always packed when we are there.  It's a part of why we do curbside (small part, but a part nonetheless).

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

bunker hill says "hi"

3 minutes ago, Iceman said:

plenty of parking, but wholly fuck that intersection in general...

there's a shit ton of spaces.  also a shit ton of cars.  so, available parking is low, unless you want to park down by academy a quarter mile away.  and traffic flow is complete garbage. 

Not looking forward to the H-E-B opening on Slaughter and 35. That intersection is already a traffic shitshow, and adding a gigantic H-E-B there is going to make it 10x worse. 
That intersection of Slaughter and Congress/35 is Herpes and it's about to be full blown AIDS. I have an irrational hatred of Southpark Meadows.

nsiap.

Great article on HEB. HEB would make a great case study for business schools. How to use latest and great technology including analytics to stay relevant and ahead of the disruption cycle.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/H-E-B-s-digital-outpost-in-Austin-is-changing-14974235.php

USTIN - When you walk into the building at 2416 E. 6th St. on this city’s trendy East Side, it’s immediately clear that it’s a tech workplace. Visually, it’s almost a cliche.

Scores of young women and men are glued to computers - many with two or three monitors - in sprawling, open-concept office areas. Coffee and snack bars with free food and drink abound. There’s rock-climbing wall in the gym and wall-mounted bicycle racks. Conference rooms have red or green lights to signal if they are occupied or availble.

Creature comforts are everywhere. Unisex restrooms have carts loaded with mouthwash, bobby pins, hair ties, moisturizer, even individually wrapped toothbrushes in multiple colors.

Oh, and don’t forget the beer. Look to the right once you’ve cleared security and there’s bar sprouting multiple taps in front of a neon sign that reads “Beer Friday.” It’s lit up at 4:30 p.m. on the last day of the workweek, when the 400-plus coders, developers and marketers in the building are more than ready to refresh and relax. (There’s a kombucha keg for teetotalers.)

That all this is found in an Austin technology hub is not surprising. What may come as a shock is that the company that leased this 81,000-square foot former recycling center is H-E-B, Texas’ biggest regional grocer. Here - on a street where its neighbors are software development firms, graphic design houses and trendy restaurants frequented by digital-native millennials - the supermarket chain has drawn a tech line in the sa

HEB Central Market on Westheimer (Houston) is the most impressive grocery store I've ever shopped at.  A trip to a very mediocre Randalls back in the day shattered Boris Yeltin's worldview about communism*.  I imagine that if that Central Market had existed back then and he'd seen it instead of the Randalls, he would have canceled the rest of his trip and immediately flown back to Russia to lead the revolution.

* For you young peeps that don't know the story:  https://blog.chron.com/thetexican/2014/04/when-boris-yeltsin-went-grocery-shopping-in-clear-lake/

Edited by bernorange

On 1/15/2020 at 6:43 AM, BradInATX said:
On 1/14/2020 at 7:31 PM, MrBig said:
Not looking forward to the H-E-B opening on Slaughter and 35. That intersection is already a traffic shitshow, and adding a gigantic H-E-B there is going to make it 10x worse. 

That intersection of Slaughter and Congress/35 is Herpes and it's about to be full blown AIDS. I have an irrational hatred of Southpark Meadows.

Agreed.  I avoid that area like the plague.  The William Cannon/Brodie HEB fucks that intersection up enough, I can't imagine what the new one at Southpark will be like.

2 hours ago, bernorange said:

HEB Central Market on Westheimer (Houston) is the most impressive grocery store I've ever shopped at.  A trip to a very mediocre Randalls back in the day shattered Boris Yeltin's worldview about communism*.  I imagine that if that Central Market had existed back then and he'd seen it instead of the Randalls, he would have canceled the rest of his trip and immediately flown back to Russia to lead the revolution.

* For you young peeps that don't know the story:  https://blog.chron.com/thetexican/2014/04/when-boris-yeltsin-went-grocery-shopping-in-clear-lake/

If Boris would walk into yoga pants HEB, he'd walk into the parking lot and kill himself 

• Like 1

I sacked groceries at that store back then.

On 1/15/2020 at 6:43 AM, BradInATX said:
On 1/14/2020 at 7:31 PM, MrBig said:

Whatchu got against mile-long strip centers with utterly non-navigable parking lots?

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Back in the 60's in Austin we had...

Piggly Wiggly

A&P

Safeway

HEB 

And our go to was the Crestview Minimax

Don't forget about Handy Andy on Burnet Rd.

Rylanders on 2222 and Balcones (Mopac wasn't built yet)

And my go to was the Handcock Minimax.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:41 PM, Iceman said:

plenty of parking, but wholly fuck that intersection in general...

HEB in Sugar Land at Hwy 6 and University and Alt 90.  One of the most retarded restrictive access for that strip center and the one on the other side of university.  To get from HEB to the other side you have to turn right on University, drive almost a mile and then U-turn at a long interval light.  There are turn lanes, but all are restricted to one direction (no u-turns or dual left-turns) and they did the same nonsense when recently adding a curb cut for the new school, so nothing fixed.  Whoever designed that needs to have all of their fingernails ripped out.

Edited by clapclapclap

On 1/14/2020 at 10:58 AM, BurdineBandit said:

100%. Mueller is the ugliest HEB in town. How is the BBQ/Beer end so nice but the actual grocery side looks like a crossfit warehouse. Allandale is a good one, for being in such a busy area there sure is parking all the time, and quick service.

I try to keep it real and stay to my neighborhood E. 7th location. They finally finished the updates and the beer section is great, I like it. Even though I've heard (white) people complain about how shitty it is. The clientele is changing rapidly, obviously.

Yeah yeah yeah, whatever. Lets get to the real question: How is the talent at those various locations?

20 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Sprouts is great. If you’re a vegan and you like poor selection. 

i get meat and seafood from Tom Thumb and produce, nuts from Sprouts.  Top quality and prices in both categories from each.  I've lived in Austin and Houston for 15 years and HEB didn't stand out as the very best, not bad , but not Everest either.