H-E-B is No. 1 U.S. Grocery Chain

atomheartbevo

Although the policy re: serving beer and wine was changed in 1976, I don't believe it was implemented in a timely manner.  I was living in San Antonio in 79-80 and would shop at the HEB near I-10 at Wurzbach.  I left San Antonio in the middle of '81 and the store still didn't sell alcohol.  So, maybe you're telling it right.

FYI for those who have shopped at the Oak Hill location, they are celebrating 55 years of service for the employee Miss Ophie who has been at that store since it opened in 1986 or whenever.  She’s the currently the longest tenured HEB employee anywhere, counting her time at other stores before Oak Hill.  55 years, pretty cool story.   

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

On 1/9/2020 at 10:13 PM, Brisketexan said:

Ummmm....I love that HEB. It’s the United Nations HEB. They have a massive setup of tamales fixings before Xmas. They have all kinds of produce that you don’t see at all the gringo HEBs. In the summer, they have a full fruit stand in the produce section, with aguas fresca. The don’t do roasted chicken - they do the split Mexican grilled chickens, with beans rice and tortillas. A huge section of fresh hot tortillas. Multiple types of chorizo, and a meat market with all kinds of goodies.
And, on most visits, I hear at least 4-5 languages. Sometimes, as many as 8. Loved watching a Somali dude arguing with his Central American wife in I think three languages (cracked me up, because it doesn’t matter the nationality or culture, married couple grocery store fights are all the same).

On 1/9/2020 at 10:15 PM, Deej said:

They also don't sell a single decent steak, and you inevitably end up in line behind some moron having them recalculate every possible combination of product so they can pay with the $9.43 worth of change they have in their possession.

I will agree the produce section is better than most.

yeah, i love the diversity of my closest heb, but deej is right about the steak. sure, you can get cow cheek, tripas and a whole hog's head at my heb, but you cannot get a decent filet. got to go to escarpment or brodie for real meat. seafood is alright, as long as it is mostly pedestrian, but they do not always thaw out their seafood, artificially inflating the weight. it's bullshit.

and don't get me started on the idea of putting fucking spectrum sales guys at the main door. i don't know what kind of kickback that heb gets out of that, but it isn't worth it. fuck those guys. last thing most people want on their way in or out of the fucking grocery store is a sales job on broadband. eat shit, spectrum guys.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 4:51 PM, HouTex said:

Maybe I’m not recalling it right, but I recall the Far West location (is it still there?) didn’t start selling beer and wine until the early 80’s.

It's possible, but the location you are referring to is now the post office.  They built out the new location across the parking lot in the early 90s.