John Beilein or bust

Goo Punch

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

also wouldn't mind Wojo or Musselman, ftr. hell i'd even be happy stealing Buzz from a&m. 

buzz will likely make aggy better by the end of the year while we undoubtedly will be looking worse.    even more pressure on CDC.

I'd take Musselman.  I really want Marshall, but he might think it is an easier path to a title where he is.  Beilein may not be cut out for the NBA and be one of those guys that decides hes really a college coach.

9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m gonna go with a strong no on guys who are eligible for SS.  An upgrade from Shaka?  Sure, that bar is so low that a  double-jointed midget couldn’t limbo under it, but let’s pick a guy who could have a 10 year career here if he succeeds.

we aren't in a position to turn down a coach with Beilein's pedigree. he's a wet dream for this program. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

we aren't in a position to turn down a coach with Beilein's pedigree. he's a wet dream for this program. 

Blank slate, new arena, a couple of years to get the train back on the tracks, and a competitive salary, we can do better than a guy who left college bb to cash in one last time before retiring.

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Blank slate, new arena, a couple of years to get the train back on the tracks, and a competitive salary, we can do better than a guy who left college bb to cash in one last time before retiring.

i'm open to hearing suggestions for superior coaches, but if it's not Beilein then we're looking at Musselman, Wojo, Underwood, etc. aka guys who haven't proven the ability to win at the highest level. so while i wouldn't mind any of those guys, i would prefer 5 years of Beilein to (potentially) 5+ years of one of those guys. 

23 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

John Beilein or bust

please make this happen. whatever it costs. top 10 programs, right CDC?

Looks like bust, because he isn't coming back to college hoops. Age and money he'll get from Dan Gilbert will get him into retirement (well maybe he will take some ESPN money to announce)

Maybe you should look to another guy from Univ of Mich, and some pro experience - Rudy T. I think he even lives in Austin

Texas needs to fuck around with other programs this next coaching search

talk about the Oregon, Washington, ASU, AU, Auburn, and Arkansas coaches very vocally and make those programs shit away some cash keeping their coaches and signing them to larger and longer deals with bigger guarantees

leverage the "Texas cash" in a different way to make other programs have to spend more of theirs

even if no real interest in them float their names out there in a major way for stupid money so their programs have to act

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

talk about the Oregon, Washington, ASU, AU, Auburn, and Arkansas coaches very vocally and make those programs shit away some cash keeping their coaches and signing them to larger and longer deals with bigger guarantees

leverage the "Texas cash" in a different way to make other programs have to spend more of theirs

even if no real interest in them float their names out there in a major way for stupid money so their programs have to act

Agents do that anyway

10 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

Beilein looks very rick Barnes like in the post season....a lot of never closing the deal

and LaVall Jordan looks like a lot of Shaka like potential.....small school guy with a much shorter track record than Shaka

I say hard pass on both of those

Well, Shaka had one year under Billy Donovan, a few under Oliver Purnell, and not much else.

It's possible that a half dozen years under Beilein might actually make a difference.

It would be crazy if guys who actually knew something about coaching basketball could be brought on to help drive the process, instead of letting amateurs in the administration take control.  I include CDC in that assessment, at least for basketball, even though I actually like Jamie Dixon.

a program like Texas can't really complain about the postseason success of coaches like Barnes and Beilein, particularly Barnes. and adding their propensity to win 25+ games while employing teams that are downright fun to watch, it's hard to envision us asking for much better than that from any available candidate. 

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

that doesn't help Texas in any way and it makes whoever we end up with look like our 7th choice at best, which will be used against him when he recruits for us

11 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

Beilein looks very rick Barnes like in the post season....a lot of never closing the deal

and LaVall Jordan looks like a lot of Shaka like potential.....small school guy with a much shorter track record than Shaka

I say hard pass on both of those

I'm not advocating for either coach, just saying I'd rather  take a shot with Jordan over Beilien. Beilien is certainly the safer bet, but he won't be around that long and we're then right back to where we are now. If Jordan was a success, you would be better positioned in the long run. He's a Butler grad  who is just getting started so I doubt he's itching to leave even if the rest of the season is a success. I also had just finished watching Butler win at Providence when I made the post and didnt even know such a thing was possible. 

Edited by Blotto

On 1/11/2020 at 12:53 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

that doesn't help Texas in any way and it makes whoever we end up with look like our 7th choice at best, which will be used against him when he recruits for us

Butt fumble doesn’t care.  He is a tech fan.  

Edited by cochamps