John Beilein or bust

Goo Punch

To hell with all the high minded, ineffectual hangups with coaches who play too close to the line. Especially when that line is wholly arbitrary and a completely imaginary entity (if you don't think Coach K plays the game I don't what to tell you) that really only hurts when you coach for one of the non-power playing schools. Go get Bruce Pearl. He plays exact the sort of shiny objects style that will actually attract a fan base and he wins by doing. In addition to that, he won't have to resort to his over the top recruiting antics while coaching for a school that is already a heavy weight in the marketing/shoe game. Let's face it the romantics notions of amateurism only exist in naive minds who continue to stick their heads in the sand and pretend that there's nothing happening. While I like Beilen and would totally be happy with him, it's time to take advantage of the rich talent this state produces. We need to be in play for elite guards. We dont have any problem signing upper level bigmen, but you only get elite guard play if you're willing to play the game.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, PilotsError said:

I'm totally pumped to hire a 67 year coach.

I had the same impression, so I asked Google about the oldest coaches and was pretty surprised by the results.  Basketball coaches seem to age like fine wine.  I mean Leonard Hamilton sucked for 3 or 4 decades and now has FSU in the top ten.  

I couldn't imbed the list, but it is in the following link (from 2017)

https://herosports.com/college-basketball/oldest-coaches-division-1-mens-basketball-byby

10 hours ago, PilotsError said:

I'm totally pumped to hire a 67 year coach.

gonna go ahead and copy/paste this here:

first, we are in zero position to pass on a coach of his caliber. second, i've heard so many people say this, and my thought every time is, "so what?" like, seriously, so what? Pete Carroll is 68; Bill Belichick is 67; Gregg Popovich is 71. He was born in the 1940's! What about the age of 67 matters to you guys? It's been a long time since being in your 60's automatically meant that you're some senile geriatric who isn't long for this world. John Beilein would be a miracle hire at this point. The fact that he's 67 means absolutely nothing, and i'll take 5, 6, or however many years Beilein has left in him in a heartbeat. There isn't a single viable/realistic candidate who's a better coach than him *and* under the age of 60. shit, there might not be a better (realistic) candidate period. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Go the Larry Brown route that SMU went down - have him have a successor. The guy can flat out coach college hoops. Have we ever seen it translate well in the pros, aside from somewhat early return Brad Stevens?

Beilein and Yak stays as HCIW? 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Beilein and Yak stays as HCIW? 

no. no to what Rex said, and no to Yaklich being a HCIW. If Beilein does a good job at Texas and then retires in five years we will be in a position to get a MUCH better HC than Yaklich, who this point os just beyond getting his feet wet as a top assistant in a big conference.

My one big concern with Beilein is that he did have a similar experience to Shaka in that he moved away from his offensive style.  Of course this is a lot to do with going from college basketball to the NBA and the difference in both talent relative to the rest of the league, the league in general, and general offensive spacing are completely different.  There's also the fact that part of why he left Michigan in the 1st place was frustration with the NCAA, having to recruit year round, and not being able to land top talent running a "clean" program (sound familiar?). If he takes the job, he clearly wants to be here though, assuming he's not just coasting.  

I would also love to know what Beilein's contract amount is/how that would interact with our Shaka situation.  For some reason I can't find Beilein's contract numbers through some Googling. If we technically wouldn't have to pay him as much the next 4 years since he'd be fired by the Cavs and our salary may just be offsetting? that could be a huge boon with the looming Shaka buyout coming.

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Is his contract with the Cavs guaranteed (if so, how?!?!)?  Even so, he’s not taking a discount, and I wouldn’t consider him a short term solution. I could see him here 5-7 years. Short term solutions to me are Jim Grobe or Clay Helton/Ed O. Clearly there’s a difference between the former and latter of those categories and the latter have lasted because of some success. 

I am relatively confident his contract is guaranteed fully  because that's just how it's done in the NBA.  If you remember, there was a lot of noise about the Lakers being dysfunctional in this same coaching cycle because they were not willing to give Ty Lue 4 years+ guaranteed as that was the market standard.  Plus it has to be factored in that the Cavs had to lure Beilein away from a very good position in Michigan. 

here are the Kenpom rankings from the two years that Beilein and Yaklich coached together:

739b27109c3ac16654d3ae5c2c3f8567.jpg

ee12c114d7427cde099bb9806881d5bf.jpg

and those are from last season and the season before last. I'm going to need to hear something much more compelling than "well he's 67" to convince me that we shouldn't hire him if we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some coaches with ages from the list I posted earlier:

Jim Boeheim - 75

Coach K - 73

Leonard Hamilton - 72

Roy Williams - 70

Lon Kruger - 68

John Beilein - 67

Bob Huggins - 67

Rick Barnes - 66

Tom Izzo - 65

Kelvin Sampson - 65

Bruce Weber - 63

At this point I would be glad to have a proven winner over another Shaka

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jinx said:

Jim Boeheim - 75

Coach K - 73

Leonard Hamilton - 72

Roy Williams - 70

Lon Kruger - 68

John Beilein - 67

Bob Huggins - 67

Rick Barnes - 66

Tom Izzo - 65

Kelvin Sampson - 65

Bruce Weber - 63

exactly. are we going to turn down Roy, Izzo, and Coach K because of their ages? of course not. and until Beilein looks the way that Bob Knight does today, his age is not a concern of mine. 

Jim Boeheim - 75
Coach K - 73
Leonard Hamilton - 72
Roy Williams - 70
Lon Kruger - 68
John Beilein - 67
Bob Huggins - 67
Rick Barnes - 66
Tom Izzo - 65
Kelvin Sampson - 65
Bruce Weber - 63

The Mostly White Old Man Club.

exactly. are we going to turn down Roy, Izzo, and Coach K because of their ages? of course not. and until Beilein looks the way that Bob Knight does today, his age is not a concern of mine. 

Roy, Izzo, and Coach K have won championships before. Lute Olsen is the only coach in college basketball history to win his first title after age 60.

50 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Roy, Izzo, and Coach K have won championships before. Lute Olsen is the only coach in college basketball history to win his first title after age 60.

that's our standard? winning titles? news to me. but, since this apparently the case, could you enlighten me as which available candidate out there is capable of leading Texas to this lofty standard?

Edited by Goo Punch

1 minute ago, PantsTent said:

Speaking of Roy, what the fuck happened to UNC this year?

it was already going to be a down year but Cole Anthony getting hurt was a major blow as well. from listening to Roy it sounds like he's rather unimpressed with this group. well, that's actually based off his quoted from a weeks ago. They've been doing better since then, but the return of Anthony obviously has had some say in that. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Lulz. Belein’s made 2 final fours. I think everyone here would be ecstatic with a single final four appearance during his tenure here.

Hell, we’d take a round of 32 at this point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

that's our standard? winning titles? news to me. but, since this apparently the case, could you enlighten me as which available candidate out there is capable of leading Texas to this lofty standard?

re: talking about Texas hoops winning a title, i used to go on rants about this back during the last 3-4 years of Rick's time here, and while I don't want to go on a full-on rant again, i'll just say this: winning the NCAA tourney is a billion times harder than winning a football title, and so many college hoops fans fail to realize this. Only the very elite coaches win titles, and you don't go out and get one of those, you get lucky and hire him right before he becomes that guy. fuck talking about Texas winning a title, just have us competitive and mostly fun to watch like 3/4 years. That's it.

Conference titles, conference tourney titles, and anything beyond the first weekend of the tourney is fucking awesome and should be celebrated as such, but should not be expected on a yearly basis. making the tourney every year and competing for those accolades is what Texas should realistically strive for. forget talking about national titles.

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Behind a paywall... anyone have this??

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/28722397/what-possible-destinations-john-beilein-college-basketball

What are the possible destinations for John Beilein in college basketball?

12 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

ESPN - What are the possible destinations for John Beilein in college basketball?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/28722397/what-possible-destinations-john-beilein-college-basketball

1.  Retirement
  2. Texas
  3. Boston College
  4. DePaul

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

ESPN - What are the possible destinations for John Beilein in college basketball?

1.  Retirement
  2. Texas
  3. Boston College
  4. DePaul

We're #2 !!!
We're #2 !!!
We're #2 !!!
We're #2 !!!
We're #2 !!!
We're #2 !!!
We're #2 !!!
We're #2 !!!
We're #2 !!!

I'm completely fine with this guy, and while I agree that naming Yaklich "Head Coach In Waiting" is getting way out over our skis, it would be silly not to consider him if he's still around and has proved his mettle in 6 years or so.  That would put him at about 50 years old, which to me is prime time for taking over a program that would hopefully be in much better shape.

If the 'horns could be a perennial Top 20 team and crack the 2nd weekend on a regular basis I would be thrilled.  At that point it's as much about matchups and luck in making runs to the Final Four.  I'd take a single FF appearance in the next decade in a heartbeat.  We suck right now and have little reason to reach for anything much higher than that.

On 1/11/2020 at 1:59 AM, ButtFumble said:

Beilein looks very rick Barnes like in the post season....a lot of never closing the deal

and LaVall Jordan looks like a lot of Shaka like potential.....small school guy with a much shorter track record than Shaka

I say hard pass on both of those

Beilein has been to two championship games. Hard to imagine you’re going to do better than that unless you want pitino (which I would take in a heartbeat). 

fisher

boeheim

cal

K

self

Wright

bennett

Izzo

roy

tubby

are your choices if you need someone that has “closed the deal” in April.  You don’t want tubby, but don’t worry, Kevin Ollie and pitino are looking for jobs.

Beilein is a damn good choice given the alternatives. I’d still make a run at Chris Mack first. Also, having beilein for 6 years and hiring with a rebuilt program is a lot better than hiring another risk and having 10 years of shit to rebuild with when you hire again in 5. Beilein is a damn safe hire.

mack and pitino are still who i would go grab though. Pitino May be virile but still least you know he has a lust for life and the game and wants to fuck everyone in the NCAA. Beilein might be tired. 

https://theathletic.com/1617404/2020/02/18/sources-john-beilein-cavaliers-expected-to-part-ways-by-wednesday/

Most relevant parts: 

A resolution is expected by Wednesday, and sources with knowledge of the situation say Beilein is expected to walk away from the remainder of his contract, which was originally a four-year deal — with a team option for a fifth — worth about $4 to 4.5 million per year.

Several factors weighed on Beilein, including the team’s on- and off-court struggles and the personal toll that the details surrounding his son’s resignation at Niagara University have taken on him, league sources said.

Beilein, 67, left Michigan last summer to sign the deal with Cavaliers. He spoke often about embracing the challenge ahead of him with the Cavs and adjusting to the NBA, but the fatigue of losing became apparent early.

Beilein spent more than 40 years coaching various levels of college basketball and the transition to the NBA proved difficult. The Athletic’s Joe Vardon and Shams Charania first reported in December that players were not happy with how Beilein coached the team, specifically his focus on fundamentals, lengthy film sessions and a lack of offensive versatility, among other grievances.