Mike Leach to the SEC (Mississippi St)

Hiphopopotamos

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

That's a good point Truman.

You know what I meant.

The spirit of the post is spot on. Leach has never played a down of football that mattered, has extensive hobbies outside of football, and doesn't take himself seriously. Yet here he is with the rest of the hard-ass blood, sweat, and tears guys who strapped on a helmet for at least a decade and screamed their lungs out at players for another decade before they got their shot, but Leach just signed a deal that has him out-earning a large majority of them. Really burns some of those dudes up. Leach is the kid on the playground who makes the other kids scream "you're not playing the game the right way!"

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

From Aggy:

Mike Leach and MSU are the Blue Shell of the SEC version of Mario Cart. They certainly won’t be winning the race, but will have a say in the final outcome. 

I think that's a fair descriptor, honestly.  Mike Leach teams are cockroaches.

The problem for the ags, is that not only does their own team not ever win the race, they also don't ever have a say in the final outcome.  Even that one time they beat Alabama, the Tide still played for, and won, the NC.  So the ags' win over them was completely irrelevant.

On 1/17/2020 at 8:51 AM, utee94 said:

I think that's a fair descriptor, honestly.  Mike Leach teams are cockroaches.

The problem for the ags, is that not only does their own team not ever win the race, they also don't ever have a say in the final outcome.  Even that one time they beat Alabama, the Tide still played for, and won, the NC.  So the ags' win over them was completely irrelevant.

Aggy: the single banana peel of SEC football

• Like 1

Its gonna be interesting to see Mike with some blue chip recruits on his roster for once in his career. Miss State is near the bottom of their conference in recruiting but they're still usually top 25 with 5+ four stars every year. Hell I think there might be a 5 star on their roster. Hes not dealing with nearly the talent disparity he was at Tech or Wazzu. 

Edited by Gigglebush

Mike Leach on the SEC Mascots. Allsome. 

https://youtu.be/TahUYLJQCCE

“Well, I think all the mascots are outstanding. First of all, you have a tiger (at LSU), which is a hard one to argue with. However, a pack of bulldogs — we’d probably have more than one of them, while a Tiger is solo. An elephant (Alabama) is afraid of a mouse, and we’re a bulldog, so I’ll give the bulldog the benefit of the doubt.

Now, gators hate dogs. I know that for a fact. They seem pretty ambivalent about people, and I don’t know if it’s because a dog is wiggly or something. I don’t think it’s the food source, it’s more hatred. They just hate dogs. But we have a number of dogs and gators obviously hate bulldogs so we’ve got to go with a bulldog.

Gamecocks, you know — he’ll have his razor sharp and be ready to claw and do all of that stuff. I have to go with a bulldog again. Georgia I’m going to say copied our bulldog so I’ll go with our bulldog. Auburn, it’d be better to fight the eagle than the tiger probably.

Now, the commodore, you have to dodge some cannon fire. He does have a sword so you have to keep your head on a swivel. But again, a bunch of bulldogs — kind of like those wild dogs in Africa. Now, Wildcats are fierce, no question about it. About as serious as I can be, you have go with a bulldog.

Now, the rebels — or are they a bear now? …. razorbacks you know, oftentimes you use dogs to hunt razorbacks … Yeah (Texas A&M has Reveille) but we have a bulldog. Missouri — I didn’t realize until you walked me through all of this: Three tigers in the SEC? That’s what makes it a tough conference. You have three Tigers. Think about that. Three Tigers.” — Mike Leach

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Its gonna be interesting to see Mike with some blue chip recruits on his roster for once in his career. Miss State is near the bottom of their conference in recruiting but they're still usually top 25 with 5+ four stars every year. Hell I think there might be a 5 star on their roster. Hes not dealing with nearly the talent disparity he was at Tech or Wazzu. 

He was starting to get better recruits when he was fired from Tech. At least in my mind. I can’t remember that far back and didn’t keep up with it then.

4 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

He was starting to get better recruits when he was fired from Tech. At least in my mind. I can’t remember that far back and didn’t keep up with it then.

Mike didn't play with spares at TT as much is the general belief   While he had his share, the 2004 class as an example contained 4 four stars and a 5 star.  The 06 class had 4 four stars and so on.  Nothing spectacular, just not quite the rag tag bunch so many seem to recollect

Alright some have asked my opinion or where I'm at since this broke.. well I was coming around on the idea. Yep.. y'all can call me out.. I was all in on Napier who strung us along until we moved along... and man what a splash it has been. I've never been a fan of Air raid offenses but it's sure as hell going to be entertaining to watch likely.. and break all our offense records which Mullen and Dak set a few years back. 

Do I love the defensive hire? Mixed...2 years at SD State under Rocky Long.. and that's it as a DC. I do love that we went out and got our 2nd place choice (1st was Newberry at Navy) even though he just took the Syracuse job.  We have down a similar style with Joe Lee Dunn during the late 90's when our D was so good (minus against ricky williams).

Now as far as QB's on roster - shrader has trimmed the beard and should be ready for spring practice from his eye and foot issues. Can he sling the ball? Some but far from where he could be with another year of coaching under him. 

So what do we instead? As mentioned.. we are in the running for 2 QB's in the transfer portal. Costello from Stanford had a visit this past weekend and is at home. Leach will have home visit with him on Thur. Evidently he did go and visit Washington today.. so we will see. That's by far the best option. a proven starter. 

Next, Chase Brice from Clemson.. who will have 2 years to pay left. May or may not be still visiting. 

I can't wait till spring ball.. Haven't made the long trip for a Super Bulldog Weekend in 5-6 years. Might have to do that this year. 

A tweet was posted on the Transfers thread on the Recruiting board, but Leach will have former Stanford QB Costello slinging the ball for him next year.

Former Stanford QB KJ Costello transferring to Mississippi State

Former Stanford starting quarterback KJ Costello is joining Mississippi State as a graduate transfer, he announced Monday on Instagram.

Costello, a two-time captain at Stanford who started 25 games over the course of three seasons, has one season of eligibility left. He joins new Mississippi State coach Mike Leach, who oversaw the nation's top passing offense in four of the past six seasons at Washington State. Costello faced Leach's Cougars teams in each of his first two seasons with the Cardinal, passing for 323 yards and four touchdowns in a 2018 contest.

Costello earned second-team All-Pac-12 honors for Stanford in 2018, when he started all 13 games and passed for 3,540 yards, the second-highest single-season total in team history. He completed 65.1% of his passes with 29 touchdowns, and led the Pac-12 in both pass efficiency (155) and yards per attempt (8.57).

Costello struggled with injuries in 2019 and appeared in only five games, passing for 1,038 yards with six touchdowns and three interceptions. Following the regular season, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. had listed Costello as the nation's No. 7 draft-eligible quarterback.

He joins a Mississippi State team that returns quarterback Garrett Shrader, who started four games as a freshman in 2019 and had 1,170 pass yards, 587 rush yards and 14 total touchdowns (eight pass, six rush). Shrader missed the Bulldogs' bowl game against Louisville because of an eye injury reportedly sustained during an altercation with a teammate in practice.

Mississippi State also returns veteran reserve Keytaon Thompson, who appeared in 19 games his first two seasons but only one contest last fall. The Bulldogs signed two quarterbacks in the 2020 recruiting class, Jaden Walleyand Will Rogers.

Costello visited the the University of Washington last week before settling on becoming on a Bulldog.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28629478/former-stanford-qb-kj-costello-transferring-mississippi-state

44 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

A tweet was posted on the Transfers thread on the Recruiting board, but Leach will have former Stanford QB Costello slinging the ball for him next year.

Yep super excited. Now if we can go get a transfer WR we will be in great shape. Having a QB like that come in can get Mike's offense going a lot faster. Hate he won't be here till the summer.. but it is what it is. 

Leech is already reaching deep into Texas, an area we haven't usually pulled many from. And gotta say, I don't know the details of Jason Washington with y'all but seems he is a heck of a recruiter. That was our last position to fill. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

https://www.registrar.msstate.edu/calendars/academic-calendar/c/?year[value][year]=2020&semester=spring

He is going to be playing a lot of catch up recording all those absences and zeros on tests.

*unless football player

You missed my post explaining he won't be here till the summer...