Neil Peart RIP

jimmyjazz

RIP Rush’s Neil Peart, dead of brain cancer at age 67.

Goddammit. The man was my drumming hero. And how he’s gone.

I’d heard rumours that Neil wasn’t well, including whispers that he had brain cancer. But ranks closed tight around him, despite the fact that he’d been sick for three-and-a-half years. 

Neil died January 7 in Santa Monica, California. Brain cancer. This has been confirmed by his personal manager, Elliot Mintz and Meg Symsyk, Rush’s media spokesperson.

Fans knew that Neil had been suffering from arthritis, a very common affliction for hard-hitting drummers. That was the reason given for Rush packing it in after the end of the R40 tour in Los Angeles on August 1, 2015.

And it wasn’t just that he’d retired from Rush, says Geddy Lee, but that he “retired from drumming.”

Information on his illness is still forthcoming.

• Like 3

I was a Rush fanatic through "Moving Pictures".  I moved on, but that band was part of my teenage soundtrack as much as any.  I always found the criticism of not only the band, their music, but Neil in particular way off base.  They carved out a sound unique to themselves, which pretty much no band could replicate, and whatever foibles might have existed in any given one of the three were utterly excusable . . . "oh, Neil doesn't swing as much as Buddy Rich, therefore he sucks".  Well, fuck that.  The guy was an absolute monster, as were his bandmates.  Quite likely the most talented power trio of all time, and yeah, I'm including Jimi's group in that.

• Like 5

Yeah I normally don't get upset about celebrities deaths, but this one is pretty tough.  Neil was such a talent both on the drums and off.  He inspired so many like myself, and actually made the world a better place.  So lucky that I got to see them live all the times I did.

I "discovered" rush in 1976, with the 2112 release.  I backfilled the first 3 albums from there, and I was off and running through Moving Pictures.  I always thought Peart was a monster, but it took me years to realize just how brilliant Geddy & Alex were as players in their own right.  I knew the songwriting was nerdy and academically complex, with goofy lyrics, but I didn't care.  I really dug that band, at least until their New Wave phase hit.

But Peart was always the anchor and the touchstone of greatness.  He gets criticized for his metronomic style, but to me, that's like criticizing Earl Campbell for his power.  I mean, wasn't that his job?  Yeah, he wasn't John Bonham.  John Bonham wasn't Neil Peart.

This stings, and it's up there with SRV and a couple of others.  I'm not inclined to rank the pain of a death, and I'm for damn sure not looking forward to any more, but I guess that's where we are at this point in the rock era.  Fuck.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Gooby said:

RIP

I love how he morphs into big band swing towards the end.  He was always criticized for his heavy hand, and he made conscious, serious efforts to learn jazz, studying it for years before his death.  He was a curious, intellectual musician, which is common of the true greats . . . Miles, Coltrane, Ma, Hancock come to mind.

35 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I "discovered" rush in 1976, with the 2112 release.  I backfilled the first 3 albums from there, and I was off and running through Moving Pictures.  I always thought Peart was a monster, but it took me years to realize just how brilliant Geddy & Alex were as players in their own right.  I knew the songwriting was nerdy and academically complex, with goofy lyrics, but I didn't care.  I really dug that band, at least until their New Wave phase hit.

But Peart was always the anchor and the touchstone of greatness.  He gets criticized for his metronomic style, but to me, that's like criticizing Earl Campbell for his power.  I mean, wasn't that his job?  Yeah, he wasn't John Bonham.  John Bonham wasn't Neil Peart.

This stings, and it's up there with SRV and a couple of others.  I'm not inclined to rank the pain of a death, and I'm for damn sure not looking forward to any more, but I guess that's where we are at this point in the rock era.  Fuck.

Very well stated. I feel the same.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Check this out . . . Neil jammin' with a big band.  Listen to how heavy his left hand is, he's a rock guy at heart!  He just can't help slammin' on 2 and 4.  God love him.  Pretty damn good take, regardless.

Yes, I’ve got this show on tape.