Neil Peart RIP

jimmyjazz

I love how he morphs into big band swing towards the end.  He was always criticized for his heavy hand, and he made conscious, serious efforts to learn jazz, studying it for years before his death. 

Pretty sure he orchestrated Burning for Buddy

Saw the band at Tarrant County Convention Center as part of the Hemispheres Tour.  

The guy was touched by God His own self. What a complete legend of a drummer.  How does one get that good?

Thanks for the memories and legacy, Neil. You will be missed and never replaced.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I "discovered" rush in 1976, with the 2112 release.  I backfilled the first 3 albums from there, and I was off and running through Moving Pictures.  I always thought Peart was a monster, but it took me years to realize just how brilliant Geddy & Alex were as players in their own right.  I knew the songwriting was nerdy and academically complex, with goofy lyrics, but I didn't care.  I really dug that band, at least until their New Wave phase hit.

But Peart was always the anchor and the touchstone of greatness.  He gets criticized for his metronomic style, but to me, that's like criticizing Earl Campbell for his power.  I mean, wasn't that his job?  Yeah, he wasn't John Bonham.  John Bonham wasn't Neil Peart.

This stings, and it's up there with SRV and a couple of others.  I'm not inclined to rank the pain of a death, and I'm for damn sure not looking forward to any more, but I guess that's where we are at this point in the rock era.  Fuck.

Well said, jimmy. I was in high school when 2112 came out and I could not believe the sound coming from those three guys. Isn't my favorite of theirs, but it was my eye opener. RIP

Edited by Turkleton

I was in 6th grade when my brother got a CD player for his birthday. I snuck into his room when he was gone one day to hear it. I put on his GIANT headphones and pushed play. He had Moving Pictures in and I listened to Tom Sawyer and Red Barchetta which I had heard already a few times in passing through the family speakers. Then I got to YYZ. I had never heard anything like it. I had just started playing percussion the year before and it had a triangle! A fucking triangle! And oh my god that ride cymbal. No lyrics? This is insane. No exaggeration, I hit replay at least a half dozen times. I snuck back in his room to hear that for months. I’m not sure how long I must have gone before moving to the next song or going back to appreciate the brilliance of TS and RB.

Eventually I built my own Rush collection. The man overtook Nolan Ryan as my idol. La Villa Strangiato broke me. I knew I could never play like that. I’d just have to listen to it the rest of my life, as loud as fucking possible. My friends knew if they hitched a ride with me in high school they had to shut up and listen to Rush, me playing the ride cymbal on the stick shift and snare on the wheel.

RIP

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I was in 6th grade when my brother got a CD player for his birthday. I snuck into his room when he was gone one day to hear it. I put on his GIANT headphones and pushed play. He had Moving Pictures in and I listened to Tom Sawyer and Red Barchetta which I had heard already a few times in passing through the family speakers. Then I got to YYZ. I had never heard anything like it. I had just started playing percussion the year before and it had a triangle! A fucking triangle! And oh my god that ride cymbal. No lyrics? This is insane. No exaggeration, I hit replay at least a half dozen times. I snuck back in his room to hear that for months. I’m not sure how long I must have gone before moving to the next song or going back to appreciate the brilliance of TS and RB.

Eventually I built my own Rush collection. The man overtook Nolan Ryan as my idol. La Villa Strangiato broke me. I knew I could never play like that. I’d just have to listen to it the rest of my life, as loud as fucking possible. My friends knew if they hitched a ride with me in high school they had to shut up and listen to Rush, me playing the ride cymbal on the stick shift and snare on the wheel.

RIP

Co-owner of the Smoke Pit in FW shut off La Villa Strangiato on me. That bitch never got another dollar from me. Glared at me while she punched the fast forward button. 

When I was 10 years old I was sure I wanted to be Ace Frehley. My dad was already teaching me guitar and I was all about it. One day my buddy came over with a couple of records he had “borrowed” from his older brother’s GF. The records were 2112 and Hemispheres. I was skeptical that this band would be as good as KISS, but he kept saying, “just wait til you hear this drummer.” I was floored and asked my buddy to let me keep those records for a couple of days. Like so many other kids in the 70s and 80s, Neil’s playing inspired me to want to learn how to play drums. Two weeks after my first listen and pleading for drum lessons, my dad took me to a good pawn shop and got my first (of many) drumkits for $60 and found a local teacher.  

I fell in love with drumming and played in a number of bands in high school and in my 20s while living in the UK. I never pursued music as a career because I felt like had ability, but not talent. It was always about the fun of playing. The list of drummers that awe me are numerous and varied - I don’t give a shit about who is considered “the best,” whatever that even means to art, but Neil always held a special place in my life for being the inspiration to explore more challenging music and amplify my already fanatical passion for music and those who make it. I’m not sure how many times I saw him perform, but it was somewhere in the 30s before I lost count. 

RIP Neil, and thanks for the great words and rhythmic artistry. 🤘

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I love how he morphs into big band swing towards the end.  He was always criticized for his heavy hand, and he made conscious, serious efforts to learn jazz, studying it for years before his death.  He was a curious, intellectual musician, which is common of the true greats . . . Miles, Coltrane, Ma, Hancock come to mind.

I really admire how he sought out a teacher (Freddie Gruber) during the 90s. A lot of players at his level might be content where they are and not risk changing things up. Really great musicians keep growing.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I remember growing up being mystified about why old people took it so hard when famous old people died

I get it now

people are so much more self absorbed now, but for us middle age guys, Rush was mainstay of our youth. The genius, the chemistry, only 3 guys -- best trio ever.

IMO, Subdivisions was their best song, with SOTR a close second.

• Like 1

The dancer slows her frantic pace
In pain and desperation
Her aching limbs and downcast face
Aglow with perspiration
Stiff as wire, her lungs on fire
With just the briefest pause
The flooding through her memory
The echoes of old applause
She limps across the floor
And closes her bedroom door

The writer stares with glassy eyes
Defies the empty page
His beard is white, his face is lined
And streaked with tears of rage
Thirty years ago, how the words would flow
With passion and precision
But now his mind is dark and dulled
By sickness and indecision
And he stares out the kitchen door
Where the sun will rise no more

Some are born to move the world
To live their fantasies
But most of us just dream about
The things we'd like to be
Sadder still to watch it die
Than never to have known it
For you, the blind who once could see
The bell tolls for thee, bell tolls for

For you, the blind who once could see
Bell tolls for thee, bell tolls for thee
  • Like 2

"The Garden"

In this one of many possible worlds,
All for the best or some bizarre test?
It is what it is and whatever,
Time is still the infinite jest

The arrow flies when you dream,
The hours tick away,
The cells tick away

The Watchmaker keeps to his schemes,
The hours tick away, they tick away

The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect,
So hard to earn so easily burned

In the fullness of time,
A garden to nurture and protect

In the rise and the set of the sun,
'Til the stars go spinning,
Spinning 'round the night
Oh, it is what it is, and forever
Each moment a memory in flight

The arrow flies while you breathe,
The hours tick away,
The cells tick away,

The Watchmaker has time up his sleeve,
The hours tick away, they tick away

In the fullness of time,
(It's a measure of a life)

The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect,
The way you live, the gifts that you give

In the fullness of time,
It's the only return that you expect

The future disappears into memory
With only a moment between.
Forever dwells in that moment,
Hope is what remains to be seen.
Forever dwells in that moment,
Hope is what remains to be seen.

In the fullness of time,

In the fullness of time,

In the fullness of time,

In the fullness of time,

• Like 1

Rush fans are really, really rush fans. 

I don't know that there's another band that has the rabid, loyal fans that Rush has.  They're the aggy of rock and roll. 

Good for y'all.  It's nice to see so many tributes to this obviously talented man.  May he rest in peace. 

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Rush fans are really, really rush fans. 

I don't know that there's another band that has the rabid, loyal fans that Rush has.  They're the aggy of rock and roll. 

Good for y'all.  It's nice to see so many tributes to this obviously talented man.  May he rest in peace. 

Well, there are different flavors.  I haven't paid much attention to any material they released since 1981.  Either they changed or I did, but that doesn't diminish the hundreds if not thousands of hours I spent listening to their music before then.  It's part of my soundtrack.  

I get it.   I don't think I ever bought an album, but I don't think that the High School/College version of me ever turned the station when a Rush song came on the radio. 

But dude...I've had people tell me that Rush is better than the Beatles and Stones combined, and were willing to brawl about it.   Mofos are crazy-loyal fans. 

Edited by Gil Bang

Just now, Gil Bang said:

But dude...I've had people tell me that Rush is better than the Beatles and Stones combined, and were willing to brawl about it.   Mofos are crazy-loyal fans. 

Eh, for them that was true.  I'm OK with that.  I will say this:  as far as sheer musicianship is concerned, there have been few bands with stronger chops than Rush, and The Beatles and The Rolling Stones don't even come close.  I'm not talking songwriting, I'm just talking straight technique.  Those guys -- all 3 of them -- were staggeringly brilliant players.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, for them that was true.  I'm OK with that.  I will say this:  as far as sheer musicianship is concerned, there have been few bands with stronger chops than Rush, and The Beatles and The Rolling Stones don't even come close.  I'm not talking songwriting, I'm just talking straight technique.  Those guys -- all 3 of them -- were staggeringly brilliant players.

Most days, I'd debate a post like this.  Today, I think I'll let the fans grieve Mr. Peart's passing without being accused of being disrespectful.  Because I do respect the man's legacy.