Neil Peart RIP

jimmyjazz

Cranked up all or parts of 2112, A Farewell to Kings, All The World’s a Stage, Caress of Steel, and Hemispheres tonight. Drum solo after “Working Man” on ATWAS......phenomenal. All of it though, so damn good. Such a talented writer, aside from the sheer musical ability. Sucks. Farewell to (the) KING. 

RIP, Neil. You were a great drummer, you were a better lyricist. 

I thought everyone knew about his health issues and why Rush stopped touring. 

My first concert was seeing Rush at the Notre Dame ACC in 1982 on their Signals tour. I was a big fan through Grace Under Pressure and then my musical tastes evolved in a different direction. Still, I saw them in concert four times, the last time at Deer Creek sometime in the early 00's with my older brother who has always been a big fan.

We were introduced to their music when he joined the Columbia record club back when I was in junior high and he was a high school underclassman. He heard something good about them so he ordered 2112. I can still remember the first time we listened to it. I was already a Beatles fan and open to unorthodoxy in music. I was also a fan of Sci-Fi/Fantasy so the concept appealed to me. (It's the only Rush album I still own.) It also introduced me to the writing of Ayn Rand because it's based on her novel/short story "Anthem."

Now is not the time to bring up the topic of Buddy Rich. Neil, you were a good dude. You will be missed. 

RIP Mr Peart. Due to overexposure and overplay on the Minnesota airwaves in the '70s, Rush was a band I just never developed a great appreciation for. There were many basement parties at friends' houses where Rush was the only music played all night. 

Definitely respect their work ethic & output. They never disappointed their fans.

Man, fuck cancer. He was such a huge inspiration and influence to so many, myself included. I'm glad I got to Rush live a few times, especially their last tour when I got to take my dad to see them too. I already had a lot of Rush in my normal Spotify rotation, but I'll be listening to them even more now for the next few days.

Thanks for all the great music, Professor. You were the best!

Eh, for them that was true.  I'm OK with that.  I will say this:  as far as sheer musicianship is concerned, there have been few bands with stronger chops than Rush, and The Beatles and The Rolling Stones don't even come close.  I'm not talking songwriting, I'm just talking straight technique.  Those guys -- all 3 of them -- were staggeringly brilliant players.

Nobody can argue this. Spot on.

RIP to the greatest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The first compact disc I ever bought was "Presto."  Not their best album, but I was 13 and it was on sale but it really piqued my interest in the band that all my friends were talking about. 

Just a year later, the very first big venue concert I ever attended was at Alpine Valley, Wisc.  It was RUSH.  Peart was absolutely amazing in person.

RIP, Neil.  

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

RIP, Neil. You were a great drummer, you were a better lyricist. 

I thought everyone knew about his health issues and why Rush stopped touring. 

My first concert was seeing Rush at the Notre Dame ACC in 1982 on their Signals tour. I was a big fan through Grace Under Pressure and then my musical tastes evolved in a different direction. Still, I saw them in concert four times, the last time at Deer Creek sometime in the early 00's with my older brother who has always been a big fan.

We were introduced to their music when he joined the Columbia record club back when I was in junior high and he was a high school underclassman. He heard something good about them so he ordered 2112. I can still remember the first time we listened to it. I was already a Beatles fan and open to unorthodoxy in music. I was also a fan of Sci-Fi/Fantasy so the concept appealed to me. (It's the only Rush album I still own.) It also introduced me to the writing of Ayn Rand because it's based on her novel/short story "Anthem."

Now is not the time to bring up the topic of Buddy Rich. Neil, you were a good dude. You will be missed. 

I’m not the type to feel I must “rank” any musician, or hold them to someone else’s standards. I loved Buddy, doing Buddy stuff, just as I loved Neil doing Neil stuff or Cozy Powell doing Cozy Powell stuff. They were all fucking wonderful, and enriched my life. I thank them for letting me in on a piece of their life. Double up....