I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

tried the reverse sear-my version of it today, on a NY strip.  Awesome! Whoever invented that shit should be a millionaire.  My little adjustment was that my frying pan wasn't hot enough when the steak hit the pan, so I turned the steak twice to get that first side an additional 30 seconds.  Was the best steak I have ever cooked at home, and not close.  Pink but plenty hot.  The steak stayed hot the entire time I ate, which is not always the case.  Most of the time I cooked a steak before I could get it to medium rare but it would be cold by the time I was halfway done.
Got me started thinking, would that technique work on a Chuck Roast?  I really don't see any pitfalls.  I will give it a shot, and instead of one minute on high for the sear, I think I will try 2 minutes each side.  I don't have a thermometer, so I played it by feel today for the strip.  My feel is pretty good, having worked as manager of Luby's cafeteria for 8.5 years a lifetime ago. 
I just had a flashback to Luby's.  The best steak I ever cooked I cooked at Luby's.  Two episodes really.  One time there was a ribeye in the cooler that looked like it was about to go bad, so I drenched it with melted butter, and then cooked it.  I put a little pan on top of the steak while it was on the grill.  I wanted to know if that technique worked so I cooked a 2nd ribeye for my dinner, same method.  Melted in my mouth good.   Later I would learn that the famous steak place in Austin-OMG I can't think of the name- cooked their steaks at 500 and soaked with butter.  Ruth's Chris- there it is.  
The other Luby's flashback was this: we were trying to get rid of some ribeye's one Saturday night in Sherman, so we cooked them and put them on the counter.  Price was very steep for your typical Sherman resident, and we relied upon the police to help us with high dollar items such as that. (Police got 50% off, and some locations would give food free if policeman entered location during the last half hour-can't remember if it was free in Sherman or not) I guess the police didn't show up that night, so my boss who was absolutely exceptional in creativity, decided we could try to sell the 3 remaining ribeyes the next day, but the rule at Luby's was you have to change the form of the meat.  So, we had Chicken Fried Ribeye.  I was the butcher that Sunday morning, so I put the three leftover ribeyes through the tenderizer a couple or three times and the fry cook did the usual- flour-batter-flour-batter-cracker crumbs.  They came out beautifully, but only two sold.  I took the plunge again- I was such a good food taster- and ate the last Chicken Fried Ribeye--ummmm good!  
I still occasionally have Luby's dreams/nightmares, but this was a pretty good series of flashbacks.  I guess when you work a job 14-15 hours a day, it does something to you.  I still know the ingredients for mayo.:   SESOVDM - salt eggs sugar oil vinegar dry mustard.  Whenever I completely forget that I guess I will be ready for the alzheimer's unit.  The wife occasionally gives me a hard time about remembering stuff.  
I should call that manager in Sherman and tell him this story.  Last time I checked property tax appraisal records he still lived in Sherman.  Great man.  Like a lot of great Luby's men, he got screwed, starting with that idiot CEO from the clothing business, Barry something- Parker I think.  100% jackass, didn't know what making food entailed.  Wow! I'm tripping. 

That's a lot of fucking words for a post with no picture.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m probably in the minority around here, but that one’s not done enough for me.

The finished steak should still moo when you cut into it.

Tomahawk ribeyes on sale for $6.97 at Fred Meyer this week. Makes Father’s Day simple to decide what to cook.

Some of us don't have a grill - so I was wondering if anyone has tips for doing steak under the broiler? 

Tried my hand last night and think my method was decent - just ended up overcooking it. Just salt pepper and olive oil on both sides. Came out medium well and I was going for medium rare. 

I feel like it's tough to get a sear in the oven. I would do it on the stove but when I've done that I generally end up smoking myself out of the kitchen.

Posting pics for advice

20190619-190935.jpg

20190619-191057.jpg

(I lost a lot of that pink after it rested more)

I'd go to home depot and buy a cheap grille and some charcoal.

If that isn't an option, get a cast iron pan.  Heat oven as high as it will go. Put pan in oven. Wait a long time for it to fully heat up.  Turn on broiler, put some avocado oil in the pan.  Throw steak in pan. Flip after a couple minutes. Cook another couple minutes.  Pull. Put a slice of butter on top.

• Like 1

But seriously I think your problem is using the oven to both sear and cook to temp. If your smoking up the kitchen either way, I’d suggest getting a heavy skillet and getting it as hot as possible on the stove. Then sear it and transfer to a different rack in a 350 oven.  My guess is using the broiler gets the oven so hot the internal steak temperature is hard to control and cooking too fast. 

Editing to suggest using grape seed oil instead of olive oil due to higher smoke point.  

Edited by brown water
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I'd go to home depot and buy a cheap grille and some charcoal.

Yeah, that will probably be an errand this weekend. 

22 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

microwaved steaks

What an idea, why didn't I think of this!

18 minutes ago, brown water said:

But seriously I think your problem is using the oven to both sear and cook to temp.

100% the problem - I think it's too difficult to pull off. Just wondering if anyone has ever managed to successfully do it this way. I've done a pan-sear, oven finish before successfully - but it's worth a cheap charcoal to avoid playing Dallas Fire. 

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah, that will probably be an errand this weekend. 

What an idea, why didn't I think of this!

100% the problem - I think it's too difficult to pull off. Just wondering if anyone has ever managed to successfully do it this way. I've done a pan-sear, oven finish before successfully - but it's worth a cheap charcoal to avoid playing Dallas Fire. 

I've done it with a standing rib roast, but only because it is next to impossible to sear on a home range top.

Edited by Dr Fear

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Google "reverse sear" -- problem solved.

This.  Then make sure and have clarified butter for the sear.  Cuts down on smoking up the house infinitely.  It won’t smoke until it’s like 1,000 degrees or some shit.  Have done several steaks this way and it’s by far the best, especially if you don’t have a grill.

CSB - I ran out of clarified butter one time and I though, ah fuck it, regular butter will be fine.  Set off fire alarms and fire dept showed up...2 cop cars, an ambulance and a fire truck.  Fucking Highland Park man.

• Like 1

This.  Then make sure and have clarified butter for the sear.  Cuts down on smoking up the house infinitely.  It won’t smoke until it’s like 1,000 degrees or some shit.  Have done several steaks this way and it’s by far the best, especially if you don’t have a grill.
CSB - I ran out of clarified butter one time and I though, ah fuck it, regular butter will be fine.  Set off fire alarms and fire dept showed up...2 cop cars, an ambulance and a fire truck.  Fucking Highland Park man.
Decent humblebrag
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Google "reverse sear" -- problem solved.

Seems like you have to do the slow and low raise to temp.  Then remove completely and let rest until almost back to room temperature.  Then fire up the broiler and get it to blast-level heat and THEN put the steak back in.

Not sure if you'll get botulism or not, but good luck!

22 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Seems like you have to do the slow and low raise to temp.  Then remove completely and let rest until almost back to room temperature.  Then fire up the broiler and get it to blast-level heat and THEN put the steak back in.

Not sure if you'll get botulism or not, but good luck!

You won’t.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:37 AM, ztejas said:

Some of us don't have a grill - so I was wondering if anyone has tips for doing steak under the broiler? 

Tried my hand last night and think my method was decent - just ended up overcooking it. Just salt pepper and olive oil on both sides. Came out medium well and I was going for medium rare. 

I feel like it's tough to get a sear in the oven. I would do it on the stove but when I've done that I generally end up smoking myself out of the kitchen.

Posting pics for advice

20190619-190935.jpg

20190619-191057.jpg

If your broiler is on the bottom like some gas ovens it is basically impossible. If not, you can do it. Reverse sear until like only 110 in a 180 degree oven (because it will need more time under the broiler) then pull it and let it rest until the broiler gets as hot as it can get and put it under for a couple minutes a side. 

If I'm only cooking one or two steaks, I use the toaster oven to do the low temp part of the cook. Works perfectly. 

Why do you guys leave the silver skin and the fat cap on your NY Strips? I've been trimming mine lately and they are 100% edible and all good - I don't miss the extra bite and if you are buying prime or better then there is actually 0 flavor add from leaving it on.

On 6/20/2019 at 9:37 AM, ztejas said:

Posting pics for advice

20190619-190935.jpg

20190619-191057.jpg

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, immamac said:

Why do you guys leave the silver skin and the fat cap on your NY Strips? I've been trimming mine lately and they are 100% edible and all good - I don't miss the extra bite and if you are buying prime or better then there is actually 0 flavor add from leaving it on.

3a53ad5a-eac6-4357-8631-d93a13fda82e_tex

Reversed sear tonight. While it was good and almost cooked to perfection....it takes too damn long. Also got a little smokey on the sear...is canola the way to go?

Also what kind of pepper do you guys cake it with? I feel like the stuff I've been doing(peppercorn I think) is almost too peppery and some bites are ruined

I'll give it another shot but I don't like starting the process at 630 and eating at 8

My mama said, "you can't hurry love
No, you'll just have to wait"
She said, "love don't come easy
But it's a game of give and take"
You can't hurry love
No, you'll just have to wait
Just trust in a good time
No matter how long it takes

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Reversed sear tonight. While it was good and almost cooked to perfection....it takes too damn long. Also got a little smokey on the sear...is canola the way to go?

Also what kind of pepper do you guys cake it with? I feel like the stuff I've been doing(peppercorn I think) is almost too peppery and some bites are ruined

I'll give it another shot but I don't like starting the process at 630 and eating at 8

Clarified butter on the sear.  Almost no smoke.

Grind my own pepper with just a medium coarseness.  Agree that chunks too big can be too much.

Total 1.5 hour dinner prep for that level of meal never bothered me.  Plenty of other things to be working on while waiting...prep your sides, have a couple drinks, put on some music.  Different strokes I guess, but I think that’s all part of the fun.

On 6/24/2019 at 10:07 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Thanks.. I'll give it another shot

Bro... get a cast iron.  Get some kosher salt and salt it generously and let it sit out till your cut is room temp.  Get a big juicy 18-22 oz strip or ribeye.  Clarified butter and olive oil.  Get the pan at high heat and sear for a minute and 30 seconds on each side on high fucking heat.... don’t you dare move the steak while you’re searing it.  Baste with garlic and thyme. Fresh cracked pepper on top.  Do 45- 60 seconds on the sides depending on size of steak.  Oven at 400 in the cast iron for about 6-7 minutes depending on size and how long you seared at high heat.  Make your hand into a fist and fee the soft part of your muscle under the thumb.  That’s how your steak should feel to get it medium rare.   Let it rest... 10 minutes+ .... don’t you dare fucking cut it.  You’re going to get a fucking delicious salty sear with medium rare inside.  It will melt in your gawd damn mouth.

heres another tip... go to central market early in the morning and see if they have their waygu strips from the previous day on sale.  Normally priced at $50+ a pound and they mark it down to their prime price which is like $22 a pound.  I fucking buy them all when they do this.

Salting the steak takes 30 seconds.  Sear and oven time takes 12-13 minutes.  Letting it rest requires no effort.  Easiest most delicious dinner ever.

whatever you do.... don’t post that gray steak ever again... I cried from sadness....

Edited by victory88
  • Like 2

On 6/20/2019 at 8:37 AM, ztejas said:

Posting pics for advice

20190619-190935.jpg

20190619-191057.jpg

somebody post jade's chili, stat.

Bro... get a cast iron.  Get some kosher salt and salt it generously and let it sit out till your cut is room temp.  Get a big juicy 18-22 oz strip or ribeye.  Clarified butter and olive oil.  Get the pan at high heat and sear for a minute and 30 seconds on each side on high fucking heat.... don’t you dare move the steak while you’re searing it.  Baste with garlic and thyme. Fresh cracked pepper on top.  Do 45- 60 seconds on the sides depending on size of steak.  Oven at 400 in the cast iron for about 6-7 minutes depending on size and how long you seared at high heat.  Make your hand into a fist and fee the soft part of your muscle under the thumb.  That’s how your steak should feel to get it medium rare.   Let it rest... 10 minutes+ .... don’t you dare fucking cut it.  You’re going to get a fucking delicious salty sear with medium rare inside.  It will melt in your gawd damn mouth.
heres another tip... go to central market early in the morning and see if they have their waygu strips from the previous day on sale.  Normally priced at $50+ a pound and they mark it down to their prime price which is like $22 a pound.  I fucking buy them all when they do this.
Salting the steak takes 30 seconds.  Sear and oven time takes 12-13 minutes.  Letting it rest requires no effort.  Easiest most delicious dinner ever.
whatever you do.... don’t post that gray steak ever again... I cried from sadness....

K. I'll drive the 28 hrs there
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Yep.  Only change is I'd look at a tenderloin (vs. strip or ribeye).  Much like moms....the thicker the better.  

Get that skillet raging hot and set the oven (400+).  I use Irish butter for the sear.  60+ seconds on each side.  Then throw another big piece of butter back on top with rosemary and a few garlic cloves.  In the oven.  Let rest.  Then it's time to rock and roll.  Cooks fast and should be the last item your prepare before plating.  If you want to get fancy, do mentioned items, slice the tenderloin horizontally, serve with a homemade gremolata.  

On 6/23/2019 at 11:51 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Restaurant Depot

”Butcher Blend” pepper corns