I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

Mrs. Cknight was out of town last weekend so picked up a 1.75lb prime tomahawk ribeye from Costco. Did a reverse sear on the WSM and it turned out great!9t1w2g.jpg

Edited by cknight
I'm an idiot and cant figure how to rotate
  • Like 4

Bought a dry aged bone-in ribeye and reverse seared it last night.  Have only done 1 dry aged steak previously.  Internal temp read 128 degrees so I took it out and noticed it did NOT feel like 128 degrees - felt more medium.  Gave it a VERY quick sear and, sure enough, steak came out looking on the high end of medium.  Is this normal with dry aged steaks?  Again, not too familiar with cooking these.  I did use a new BT meat thermometer so maybe that was just off or I just had it up against the bone.  Regardless, tasted fucking amazing.  Flavor and texture were spot on - color just wasn't that beautiful red that we typically get.  

?ui=2&ik=f0144bad5b&view=fimg&th=162d185

1 hour ago, BearCountry11 said:

Bought a dry aged bone-in ribeye and reverse seared it last night.  Have only done 1 dry aged steak previously.  Internal temp read 128 degrees so I took it out and noticed it did NOT feel like 128 degrees - felt more medium.  Gave it a VERY quick sear and, sure enough, steak came out looking on the high end of medium.  Is this normal with dry aged steaks?  Again, not too familiar with cooking these.  I did use a new BT meat thermometer so maybe that was just off or I just had it up against the bone.  Regardless, tasted fucking amazing.  Flavor and texture were spot on - color just wasn't that beautiful red that we typically get.  

What was your oven at for the cook portion?  The higher the oven, the more carryover you are going to get, something in the neighborhood of 3-5 degrees. Going immediately to the sear is going to keep cooking it. So, either 1) pull it earlier at 120 or so and immediately sear, or 2) let the steak rest 10 minutes (something non-metal would be ideal) and then sear it.  I have been doing #2 because it is foolproof but #1 is likely a better steak but has a learning curve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

What was your oven at for the cook portion?  The higher the oven, the more carryover you are going to get, something in the neighborhood of 3-5 degrees. Going immediately to the sear is going to keep cooking it. So, either 1) pull it earlier at 120 or so and immediately sear, or 2) let the steak rest 10 minutes (something non-metal would be ideal) and then sear it.  I have been doing #2 because it is foolproof but #1 is likely a better steak but has a learning curve.

I had it at 225.  I typically go right to the sear once it comes out of the oven then let it rest.  I’ll try both and see what works best.  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, BearCountry11 said:

I had it at 225.  I typically go right to the sear once it comes out of the oven then let it rest.  I’ll try both and see what works best.  Thanks!

Given ample time, I also like using 225, only 1-2 degrees of carryover. The other good thing about letting the steak cool down a bit pre-sear is that you don't have to re-rest them.  They are ready to eat right off the sear.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 12:23 PM, solamente73 said:

2.4lbs. of Chicago-style ribeye, over mesquite.

41433213181_8fe7ee47ce_c.jpg

41433191231_ee9a9835eb_c.jpg

26562037247_7babc11937_c.jpg41433197361_7dbcee67da_c.jpg

On 4/11/2018 at 1:37 PM, cknight said:

Mrs. Cknight was out of town last weekend so picked up a 1.75lb prime tomahawk ribeye from Costco. Did a reverse sear on the WSM and it turned out great!9t1w2g.jpg

The 2 of you are great Americans 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/13/2018 at 4:07 PM, brown water said:

2jff4ls.jpg

Finally got around to cooking a couple of these last night along with some strips and filets for an overdue dinner with family and a few friends at the new house.  

Edited by brown water