I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

Does Prime Rib count as steak for this thread's purposes? Picking up a 3-bone prime grade rib roast from a local butcher today. Going to salt it tonight and leave it uncovered in the fridge until Christmas morning. I will then follow this cooking method:
https://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html
I've used it the last couple of years, and it always comes out great.
Thinking about making these a side dish:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/hasselback-potato-gratin-casserole-holiday-food-lab.html
Picked up this 5.5 lbs yesterday, did the serious eats reverse search last year to perfection.
ea2424d64f603b403e2b999326ad5697.jpg

Staying at a friend's ranch for a couple weeks, so I'm limited to what all is on hand for available resources.  Bought a decent looking Strip from the local (20 miles away) Walmart and decided to give his grill a run last night.  Turned out great...

NY Strip with Lobster Risotto and Brussels Sprouts

G4qeAk.jpg

Money shot: Steak knife was a little dull.  I'm sure he won't mind if I sharpen them up a little, but I didn't want to mess with it last night.

DOuw7N.jpg

• Like 2

Not a true dry-age, but will put these prime strips out on New Year's Day after about 2 weeks of air drying. 3 days out, I'll start the dry brine with salt, garlic, and black pepper and doing a reverse sear on the apartment complex gas grill. 

I've done the dry brine before, but never any kind of drying ahead of time (never had the foresight or patience), so I'll be interested to see if there is any noticeable difference. 

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-28 at 11.06.48 AM.jpeg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Not a true dry-age, but will put these prime strips out on New Year's Day after about 2 weeks of air drying. 3 days out, I'll start the dry brine with salt, garlic, and black pepper and doing a reverse sear on the apartment complex gas grill. 

I've done the dry brine before, but never any kind of drying ahead of time (never had the foresight or patience), so I'll be interested to see if there is any noticeable difference. 

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-28 at 11.06.48 AM.jpeg

Interdasting.  So what do you have them drying in before hand?  

36 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Interdasting.  So what do you have them drying in before hand?  

Nothing. Took them out of the packaging and onto the wire rack in the fridge. Left town for Christmas and the fridge was empty (no flavor contaminants) so it was the ideal time to experiment. 

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

Nothing. Took them out of the packaging and onto the wire rack in the fridge. Left town for Christmas and the fridge was empty (no flavor contaminants) so it was the ideal time to experiment. 

How long can they sit like that before they spoil?  I’ve never honestly quite understood the science behind the whole aging process.  I’ve thrown steaks out that were a few days past their “best by” date.  Seems I could have saved them if I’d just called it “aged” or some shit.  

8 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

beaed92d04b9b4707efc125dc16e4b1a.jpg

Few days late with this one....beef tenderloin that I cooked for the family Christmas night. I wasn’t sure exactly how I was gonna do it (grill or oven) Ana just sort of felt my way through. I’m really pumped with how this came out. Still eating steak sandwiches

EC4236A5-A8D2-459A-A496-A1417CBCBE91.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/3/2018 at 2:04 PM, ROFL BOX said:

Lunch is swerved.

1/4 Sweet Yellow Onion
4 or 5 sliced Mushrooms
1 Whole Bell Pepper (smallish)
1 Smashed pod of Garlic, minced.

Ribeye salted, peppered, in the fridge for 2 days.

Steak on for 2 min. each side prior to veggies, added Salted Olive Oil Butter, then vedje-tables. Cooked all until vedges were just soft enough / onion was clarified.b1974e68e474e517fa090a8c5f8c8507.jpg90205066679c27244364816474a8686b.jpg497976aa8981ac11a41c2ffb2a1a8f2e.jpge796553785fad95e44b15cffda738f75.jpg27d6c508da68e7230824bde2128c284e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

For when you want your steak to taste more like vegetables? 
Y'all act like you haven't ever seen a steak with sauteed mushrooms on it.

& Considering how many years ago this was, I don't even remotely recall what the contraption tasted like.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Mushrooms and onions are fine, as they have near zero flavor of their own when cooked, they absorb and take on the flavor of whatever you cook them in. Garlic goes great with beef, whether garlic powder for seasoning, fried garlic chips to eat with each bite of steak, or roasted garlic in butter for basting during a pan sear.

Bell peppers have a distinct flavor that overpowers most other foods in a dish, and would not be my choice to pair with a good steak. Paired with shitty beef in a stir fry? Perfect use.

• Like 3