I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

14 hours ago, futureman said:

for christmas I got a gift certificate for snake river farms.  anyone have experience with them?  recommendations?

I dont have any recs, but they are featured and highlighted on a lot of high end Houston restaurants menus. I'd say I see their name second only after 44 Farms. 

On 1/28/2020 at 6:50 PM, futureman said:

for christmas I got a gift certificate for snake river farms.  anyone have experience with them?  recommendations?

not sure about butterflied but had some 3 bone pork chops from them, delicious. 

• 4 weeks later...

Dry aged bone-in ribeye, smoked and reverse-seared.  Served with wheel-cut wedge with white wine vinaigrette and blue cheese, chorizo stuffed poblano and pepper jack cream corn (had it at Ha;Llc’s in Charleston recently ; recipe here: https://www.gritsandchopsticks.com/the-gravy-train/2014/03/recipe-the-original-pepper-jack-creamed-corn.html

Wine: Kelly Fleming rose, Corra (Celia Welch) Cabernet

spacer.png

Edited by AustinMT
  • Like 5

I took about an 8” chunk of beef tender and put it in the sous vide at 132°, I wasn’t sure what throwing it on the grill would do to the internal temp. It came out great.5c7783444304dade99dae80c8cd7609f.mov782998df7c7ae7bc411941afd619de12.mov

Edited by RMac5
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, dcbc said:

Couple of strips for me and the kid.  Sous vide at 119 with some salt, pepper, rosemary, and butter, for about 3.5 hours.  

You might try leaving the butter out of the sous vide step, brush it on during the sear only. Guga did a comparison and got better flavor not putting butter in the sous vide bag.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
On 3/15/2020 at 12:57 PM, Landomatic said:
Made this strip.  Forgot to take other pics.  Pretty good.  Soooooo, yeah...
1esxPS.jpg

Great sear, cooking method?

Thanks.  I just put it on the grill turned up all the way.

Side story...I have this little Weber Spirit 2-Burner grill which is nothing fancy at all.  I got it for the patio at the condo I used to live in because patio space was super-limited.  When I bought the condo, the realtor who sold it to us assured us we could have a grill, despite it being against the condo rules, and that several other residents had them.  So, we took her at her word and ordered this grill when we moved in, pretty much based on the small size alone.  Well, when the grill was delivered, the condo manager saw it and told me I couldn't have it.  I could have just returned it, but decided to try to fight it with the HOA board.  After appeals and lots of back and forth, it took longer than the Amazon return window timeframe to get the board to tell me that I still couldn't have it.  So, I left the little Weber (still in the box) in the corner of my garage and kind of forgot about it with no real plan on what I was going to do with it.  Fuck condos and fuck HOA's...never again.  But I don't want to derail the thread with that.

Anyway, fast-forward about 3 years and finally got out of that godforsaken condo and back into a house.  The plan (at least before the coronavirus) was to put in a pool, which was most likely going to include some kind of outdoor kitchen and built-in grill solution.  So, in the meantime, long story longer, I decided to unbox this little Weber grill that sat in the corner of the garage at my condo for 3 years to fuck around on until I get my permanent solution done.

Well, I'll be damned if this little Weber grill doesn't cook better than any grill I've ever had.  I've spent thousands of dollars on some really nice grills in my day, including 2 different Weber Summits (top-of-the-line Weber) and this little cheap ass 2-burner can outcook them all.  Must have something to do with the small space and having more control or something.  I've been cooking on it for about 2 months now, 2-3 nights a week and I've yet to not have anything turn out damn near perfect.  Almost seems like no matter what I do, I can't fuck it up.

So, back to this steak...I just turned the little Weber all the way up (thermometer on the lid says it gets up to about 550) and cooked them.  If I had to guess, I'd say I probably did 2 minutes on one side then flip, 2 minutes on the other side then flip, 2 more minutes on the first side then flip and 2 minutes again...for a total of about 8 minutes.  But I didn't time anything, just went by look and feel.  Probably had the lid open half the time and close half the time.  Didn't stand in a pile of salt beforehand, didn't bring it up to room temp, didn't really do shit other than rub with a tiny bit of olive oil (just to make the salt and pepper stick better) and sprinkle a little salt and pepper on before I cooked it.

Might just have to keep this little Weber 2-burner.  She's been good to me.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...