I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

Over 1 pound of minke whale.  It's very very lean meat, so I had a buttered pan with some garlic and shallots to baste or soak the meat, and also balance out any mild gaminess.
After a few minutes reaching 80*, finished it inside the pan until it went to 110*F. 
The thin cooked rim of whale tastes metallic and like canned tuna in water.  The interior is just something between beef and venison, mildly sweet and not exotic at all.

IMG-20200520-210557-COLLAGE.jpg
Next time I will try it tartare

Fuck you, whale! And fuck you, dolphin!
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Dumb question amnesty - what’s the fascination with slicing every steak like it’s a tenderloin?

With VERY few exceptions...if my steak ever comes out pre-sliced, It’s not gonna be good.  Not good for me and especially not good for them.  Cote De Boeuf and a couple other chateaubriand aside, that shit’s instant “no” from me dog.

14 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Dumb question amnesty - what’s the fascination with slicing every steak like it’s a tenderloin?

It presents better.  Also for steaks that aren't cooked with resting in mind, exposing slices will pause the post-cook temp rise.  And it's nice for sharing a large steak

Amazon Whole Foods delivery often comes with surprises.  Some good, but mostly not good (substituting something that's not even close to what you wanted, weird quantities, out of stock items, etc).  This 1.63 lb ribeye was one of the few good surprises...

WVMWmJ.jpg

I'll report back when I cook it.  Unless I fuck it up.  Then I'll just say it slammed and went so hard that I didn't even have time to get a pic.

• Like 3