I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

Damn this bitch is rich9a43a7a304957cfefc723daf7acb3448.jpg687653e666dac9dcf79188cabdd9f295.jpgcc1fa1a2396ccb98c60f81490b1b1c86.jpg

Umm, holy fucking fuck! Looks amazing!

They don’t have that at my HEB. Shit. They barely have fresh cut steaks any more. Only want to sell yesterday’s pre-packaged grey meat.

Where on Earth is this holy grail of H-E-B butchers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, PorscheGuy said:

Umm, holy fucking fuck! Looks amazing!

They don’t have that at my HEB. Shit. They barely have fresh cut steaks any more. Only want to sell yesterday’s pre-packaged grey meat.

Where on Earth is this holy grail of H-E-B butchers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bunkerhill location in Houston, the entire case of wagyu looked like that. I asked for the smallest one, it was an incredible cut of meat

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Smax said:

Bunkerhill location in Houston, the entire case of wagyu looked like that. I asked for the smallest one, it was an incredible cut of meat

oh, so the meat was rich.  I thought you meant your sugar-mama had bought you a nice steak. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Love Wagyu everything but am I the only one that thinks that is a little too much fat?

I know it adds incredible flavor but where is the beef?

May belong in the unpopular opinions thread, but I'm with you. For me, there is a point at which the marbling is excessive and starts to detract. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Love Wagyu everything but am I the only one that thinks that is a little too much fat?

I know it adds incredible flavor but where is the beef?

Haha one of the dumbest posts ever on Surly^

You can’t say you love Wagyu then follow it with, but too much fat.  If you love Wagyu, it’s because of the fat.  That’s like a double negative...or oxymoron...or something

3 hours ago, Texaskimo said:

May belong in the unpopular opinions thread, but I'm with you. For me, there is a point at which the marbling is excessive and starts to detract. 

Second dumbest ^

I know where you guys are coming from, first bites of fullblood wagyu are life-changing amazing, but then it does get too heavy and single-dimensional fat taste for me.

[humblebrag?] I've been lucky to have had plenty of opportunities to eat wagyu on someone else's dime, I've had arguably some of the best in the world, and I've been "wagyu'd out" for years. I never order it any more, regardless who's paying. I simply enjoy more beef flavor and texture now, not the tender fat slide of wagyu. It gets cloying after a while. (See the poster somewhere early in this thread that bought one, cooked and ate a portion and tossed the rest - some of it is just too much fat to enjoy.) [/humblebrag]

Along that line, that coulotte a few posts up is #wheelhouse.

8 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Haha one of the dumbest posts ever on Surly^

You can’t say you love Wagyu then follow it with, but too much fat.  If you love Wagyu, it’s because of the fat.  That’s like a double negative...or oxymoron...or something

Second dumbest ^

The picture that was posted was way too much marbling.

There is much more to Wagyu that that by the way.

HEB by me has wagyu every weekend and it is good. But, in a blow out moment the night before little man was born had real Japanese Kobe at Vic and Anthony’s in Houston (which is by far my favorite steak place in texas) and it was life changing. When they say it literally melts in your mouth, that steak is what they are referring too. I could have chewed if it I had no teeth and used my tongue and the roof of my mouth and the flavor was powerful.  If you see it and are on someone else’s dime, or not, do it. 

Saw this chunk of beef at the butcher, didn't know wtf it was but the marbling was fantastic, so I bought it. Rang up as 'beef back chuck.' One side of it (left pic) looks like the chuck eye. With the amount of marbling, didn't want to pot roast or pulled beef it, thought it might turn out decently well as a steak, but might be chewy as fuck. Tried it anyways. Alternative would have been Brazilian style: slice it to 1" and do a quick hour or so marinade containing pineapple or papaya to tenderize, then grill hot and fast. But I like reverse sear flavor and thicker gives more smoke time for that, so reverse sear it is.

Side A  Side B  Thicc

Salt Pepper Garlic Powder. Dry brine overnight to help tenderness. Didn't prep early enough to go 2 nights, but would be better to go 2 given the thickness. Pulled it out of the fridge to come up to room temp about 3hr early while running errands and changing oil.

568135333_drybrineovernight.thumb.jpg.cfc4dbdeb29f7e27ebe0fd79754695f5.jpg

On to the kamado, ~270 indirect (wanted lower, about 225, but got lazy and let the fire get too high, and didn't want to delay lunch) until 120 internal temp, took about 2hr. Herbed potatoes on the hot perimeter. Then tented with foil while cranking the fire up for sear. Then direct sear.

415223462_lowandslow.thumb.jpg.65673336c8f84aba59e7a97024719f8d.jpg      sear.thumb.jpg.7e0b47020df20895b75f5f8cf1fa0e18.jpg

Rested it for about 30min. First cut, and sliced.

rested.thumb.jpg.89b4ffbfbbb22731b6a51cf6e427ff5b.jpg  cut.thumb.jpg.07ddb1acfdaa94d843b125e5c29e3042.jpg  sliced.thumb.jpg.e8f132d8ca22c29577263a45a933f6c2.jpg

Glorious. Quite a pleasant surprise.

glorious.thumb.jpg.1e52c3402df936cfa89bbb2497ae9656.jpg

A little chew, but not tough at all, I've had worse Prime ribeyes. Great flavor. This was ungraded Thai-French beef and the chunk was near 4lb and cost me under $50. A steal for beef prices here, a steal for the marbling. 11/10 would do again and will definitely buy anything with that marbling when I see it again.

Aside: First time trying the forum photo host and the editor's built-in photo editing/resize capability. This is pretty convenient!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Glorious. Quite a pleasant surprise.

glorious.thumb.jpg.1e52c3402df936cfa89bbb2497ae9656.jpg

A little chew, but not tough at all, I've had worse Prime ribeyes. Great flavor. This was ungraded Thai-French beef and the chunk was near 4lb and cost me under $50. A steal for beef prices here, a steal for the marbling. 11/10 would do again and will definitely buy anything with that marbling when I see it again.

Fascinating.  I'll take you at your word because I trust your taste, but it looks really weird.  Kind of an odd peach/salmon color with a mushy looking texture.

Fascinating.  I'll take you at your word because I trust your taste, but it looks really weird.  Kind of an odd peach/salmon color with a mushy looking texture.
I had a rib roast I made over Easter weekend come out inexplicably the same way. Used the same serious eats reverse sear method I had used several times before to perfect results. 8e562d101670286efc2681ecee5cbba8.jpg

12 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

I had a rib roast I made over Easter weekend come out inexplicably the same way. Used the same serious eats reverse sear method I had used several times before to perfect results. 8e562d101670286efc2681ecee5cbba8.jpg

Look similar in texture to a venison roast that I did sous vide (I think 24+hours).  Was mushy and the texture was very off putting.

FF5-D56-CB-A2-A4-4-D26-83-ED-EAD0-C3318-

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

My next thing I want to do is some sort of herb butter baste on my reverse sear at the end. Like the rosemary I see in certain pictures.

Also I have considered leaving some nice burger detritus on the cast iron at lunch for a dinner sear. Am I thinking crazy here?